Make a donation

Author Topic: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09  (Read 92439 times)

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
Re: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2009, 09:39:36 am »
Hi Steve;

Thanks for the mail; I’ll keep it short and straight to the point as i've got work coming out of me ears!

Scaling the maf to a larger size is a pointless task and would require tuning to suit, the stock maf housing is perfectly suitable for almost any given application unless you're going for a massive turbo setup (GT35+) and in which case you may as well run without a maf..

Hope this helps guys!

Thanks Carl,

I have heard of cases in America where running an intake with a larger MAF diameter is causing performance problems on both Revo and APR SW running K03 and K04 turbos although I have not heard of any cases yet in the UK. 

If you look at  the fuel trims with the Long Term trim (VCDS block 31 or 32) being the most important.  A highly positive fuel trim might show deviations from what the ECU is expecting to see and from my knowledge  a simple increase in LTFT should be considered an increase in air flow.  If it actually zeros down after a few miles when the ECU has had a chance to adapt to the new intake it should not cause any problems.  A constant LTFT that just refuses to zero possibley means there is a problem.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 09:51:34 am by KRL »

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2009, 09:45:02 am »
which has to be a defined diameter to give accurate readings: 67mm

With aftermaket intakes this 67mm internal diameter is a best guesstimate as these intakes all come with circular cross sectional  piping whereas the oem air box has the maf sited where the cross section is not circular but ellipitical. 

Which is why I asked if the ITG was oval shaped  :happy2:

No, as far as I am aware its circular tubing, but the diameter of the pipework chosen was based around the consideration of MAF requirement and not around restriction of pipework. I would imagine a calculation has been done to evaluate the internal area of the oval pipework, and then this has been replicated. I can speak to Andy Jackson at some point to ask the question, but the reason for the late reply is I'm currently overseas on annual leave, so access to t'internet for the next couple of weeks will be sporadic.

Would you be able to have a look at your long term fuel trims after you have done a few miles?  AFAIK the ITG is the only full intake system I know which conforms to the OEM MAF diameter but I would like to now if the MAF housing not being oval has any ramifications.

The only intake which uses an oval MAF housing is the Carbonio but this is because it uses the OEM engine cover and MAF housing.

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2009, 12:33:48 pm »
Seeing as this ITG is being developed in conjunction with revo, why not have a bigger MAF pipe diameter and just adjust the settings for it in the ecu?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2009, 12:59:49 pm »

Seeing as this ITG is being developed in conjunction with revo, why not have a bigger MAF pipe diameter and just adjust the settings for it in the ecu?

....Yes, but the new ITG intake needs to be available for cars with other tuner's remaps as well. Otherwise ITG's sales will be somewhat restricted.

:happy2:

[The subject of ITG's intake seems to have hijacked the discussion of Forge's]
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 01:01:30 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2009, 01:06:57 pm »
True lol, sorry probably my fault.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2009, 01:13:40 pm »

True lol, sorry probably my fault.

....No, don't get me wrong - Personally I quite welcome it!

I'm interested in both intakes (and others) and the discussion has thrown up some very interesting info which helps all our choices.

Keep it coming! :happy2: 8) :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2009, 02:24:41 pm »
A constant LTFT that just refuses to zero possibley means there is a problem

Unless you have just cleared the ecu of faults (even if there aren't any), you will find in most cases that neither of the fuel trim values are zero.

Ross Tech suggests a +/-10% deviation is acceptable though I think +/-5% is a better value.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2009, 03:00:18 pm »
A constant LTFT that just refuses to zero possibley means there is a problem

Unless you have just cleared the ecu of faults (even if there aren't any), you will find in most cases that neither of the fuel trim values are zero.

Ross Tech suggests a +/-10% deviation is acceptable though I think +/-5% is a better value.

Yes thats correct, prehaps I did not explain myself very clearly.  Ideally the LTFT needs to stabalise at a value and the closer to zero the better.  Even on completely stock cars you will not see a value of zero.  If your LTFT is constantly climbing or falling it will eventually hit an upper limit of 25% or lower limit of -25% which causes a fault code and CEL.

So if we have a look at the LTFTs of people who already have various intakes installed we should get a decent idea of how the ECU is coping with the different sized MAF housings  :happy2:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2009, 03:13:14 pm »
This is why I asked jonnyc to check his values for me seeing that he has the twintake.
Unfortunately he's yet not gotten back to me on this... 
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline warren_cox

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2009, 06:44:02 pm »

Would you be able to have a look at your long term fuel trims after you have done a few miles?  AFAIK the ITG is the only full intake system I know which conforms to the OEM MAF diameter but I would like to now if the MAF housing not being oval has any ramifications.

The only intake which uses an oval MAF housing is the Carbonio but this is because it uses the OEM engine cover and MAF housing.

I ran the Carbonia pre-ITG, and whilst it ran OK in stage 1 spec, it just couldn't successfully deliver air supply at over 300bhp.

I don't have VAGCOM, so I will need to hook up with someone in the West Berkshire / South Oxfordshire area once I get back from holiday. I've only just got here o wont be back in the UK for a while. Apologies.
Audi S3 (8P)

Mods: Revo Stg 2+, KMD HPFP, ITG CAI, NGK Iridiums, Rev D DV, 19" RS4 wheels, PIAA bulbs

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2009, 06:45:09 pm »

....Yes, but the new ITG intake needs to be available for cars with other tuner's remaps as well. Otherwise ITG's sales will be somewhat restricted.

I was thinking that was the most logical answer, wonder if though ITG would ever make one specifically to suit the revo software or vice versa though. All that lovely big piping only to get quite a size reduction in diameter because of the maf seems wasteful to me.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2009, 06:59:17 pm »

I was thinking that was the most logical answer, wonder if though ITG would ever make one specifically to suit the revo software or vice versa though. All that lovely big piping only to get quite a size reduction in diameter because of the maf seems wasteful to me.

A rather nice Divergent Duct.  Therefore the pressure will Decrease, Velocity of the airflow will increase, and airflow temp will also decrease. 

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2009, 07:01:54 pm »

You obviously havn't measured the inlet diameter of the K04 then if you think the MAF pipe is a restriction..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2009, 07:11:00 pm »

You obviously havn't measured the inlet diameter of the K04 then if you think the MAF pipe is a restriction..

I drive  my car not take it apart  :driver:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2009, 07:11:41 pm »

A rather nice Divergent Duct.  Therefore the pressure will Decrease, Velocity of the airflow will increase, and airflow temp will also decrease. 

I see so something useful does come of it.