Make a donation

Author Topic: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09  (Read 89090 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09
« Reply #270 on: November 09, 2009, 01:23:00 pm »
I think it's more because of the black colour - appears hidden behind the grille where as the ITG one is visible.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: November 09, 2009, 01:24:00 pm »
I think it's more because of the black colour - appears hidden behind the grille where as the ITG one is visible.

What grille Stealth you've lost me?  :confused:

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #272 on: November 09, 2009, 01:27:07 pm »

For those seeking the cheapest price, IIRC, JKM are offering forum members a discount but I forgot how much.

T: 023 9263 9933

The Forge looks soooo much better in black and much tidier than the ITG, but I wonder what the differences are in performance, if any.

you reckon the ITG looks untidy?  :surprised:

+2  :innocent:

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #273 on: November 09, 2009, 01:27:21 pm »

The Forge looks soooo much better in black and much tidier than the ITG, but I wonder what the differences are in performance, if any.

you reckon the ITG looks untidy?  :surprised:

....Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the ITG isn't very good but, purely aesthetically (for anyone who considers such aspects), it's a collection of many pieces with lots of clips etc (raiding a parts bin?) whereas the Forge has much tidier pipework even with its branch.

Regardless of the degree of under bonnet eye-candy I'm genuinely interested what the performance differences might be between the two.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 01:29:36 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #274 on: November 09, 2009, 03:57:01 pm »
What grille Stealth you've lost me?  :confused:
Ignore me. I misread twintake as twintercooler. I blame it on the four hours of sleep per 24 hr period for the last 9 days!

Anyhoo, yeah RR was on about tidyness. I do admit, the foam baffle IMO doesn't look particularly neat or fancy but the rest of the kit looks good.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #275 on: November 09, 2009, 05:52:12 pm »
nice one. let us know how you get on with it as im thinking of having this put on mine too

x2 I was close to ordering the ITG offering but was speaking to the chap who will be doing the warranty work for my blown miltek exhaust asked him about fitting the ITG for me and advised me against it saying the open foam cone they use is ideal for race cars as they have their engines rebuilt frequently but for a road car it is less practical due to what can get through the filter..

confused now as had my mind set on the itg - he is in no way connected to forge etc just a small independent garage who is a milltek and bilstein agent

so is the twintake a safer option as it uses two closed filters rather than a open cone?
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #276 on: November 09, 2009, 05:55:55 pm »
nice one. let us know how you get on with it as im thinking of having this put on mine too

x2 I was close to ordering the ITG offering but was speaking to the chap who will be doing the warranty work for my blown miltek exhaust asked him about fitting the ITG for me and advised me against it saying the open foam cone they use is ideal for race cars as they have their engines rebuilt frequently but for a road car it is less practical due to what can get through the filter..

confused now as had my mind set on the itg - he is in no way connected to forge etc just a small independent garage who is a milltek and bilstein agent

so is the twintake a safer option as it uses two closed filters rather than a open cone?

What do you think to the Dbilas??

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #277 on: November 09, 2009, 06:23:13 pm »
Dbilas is alright had a few issues which I have noticed others have experienced which is the stutter when upshifting under WOT (dsg)

the filter is also rather small - smaller than oem - now I'm stage 2+ I'm not sure it can supply the required air flow

For what it costs c£320 the quality is nothing on the itg or forge twintake

But probably is the quietest CAI on the Market
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #278 on: November 09, 2009, 06:25:31 pm »
Dbilas is alright had a few issues which I have noticed others have experienced which is the stutter when upshifting under WOT (dsg)

the filter is also rather small - smaller than oem - now I'm stage 2+ I'm not sure it can supply the required air flow

For what it costs c£320 the quality is nothing on the itg or forge twintake

But probably is the quietest CAI on the Market

You expecting gains over the Dbilas?  Had dbilas on my APR Stage 2+ for a while and had no bother...

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: November 09, 2009, 06:29:24 pm »

there are different grades of foam they use in the open filters,  Andy at ITG assured me the grade they use for the road applications is spot-on :smiley:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #280 on: November 09, 2009, 07:47:49 pm »

there are different grades of foam they use in the open filters,  Andy at ITG assured me the grade they use for the road applications is spot-on :smiley:

correctomundo.  there are lots of different thickness and density foam filters available dependant on the type of engine.

I remember him saying about turbo'd cars needing a better grade of foam to limit the amount of microns that can get through the filter, whereas the a normally aspirated engine does not require the same amount of filtration on the filter.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #281 on: November 09, 2009, 08:00:43 pm »
For the people that are after the forge twintake type design, they might aswell save a bit of money and go for a dbilas. They are both pretty much identical and share similiar flaws.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #282 on: November 09, 2009, 08:03:23 pm »

For the people that are after the forge twintake type design, they might aswell save a bit of money and go for a dbilas. They are both pretty much identical and share similiar flaws.

....And those flaws are?

Sorry but I don't see how "they are both pretty much identical" but I'm willing to learn. :smiley:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #283 on: November 09, 2009, 08:06:24 pm »

....And those flaws are?

Sorry but I don't see how "they are both pretty much identical" but I'm willing to learn. :smiley:

The only real difference between the dbilas and the twintake, is that the forge has that extra filter gimmick attached to it. Both share the flaw of non oem maf housing size, unless forge have changed that since, as I lost interest in their product as they kept dragging their feet. August was a long time ago  :signLOL:

Also, forge used to bang on about how their original cai was in the best position and of the best decision. And now they are coming out with the twintake. Change of heart or what.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:26:44 pm by Poverty »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2009, 08:40:26 pm »

The only real difference between the dbilas and the twintake, is that the forge has that extra filter gimmick attached to it. Both share the flaw of non oem maf housing size, unless forge have changed that since, as I lost interest in their product as they kept dragging their feet. August was a long time ago  :signLOL:

....Indeed, Forge usually take what seems like forever to release their products after first announcing them. They would say that they believe in very extensively testing them to their own satisfaction before launching and I have no reason to think that this is not the case.

Do you have any hard facts to support your view that the extra side filter is merely a gimmick? - It may be so but such a claim does deserve evidence.

Perhaps I should re-read the (long) ITG filter thread to re-acquaint myself with any discussions about MAF housing sizes but IIRC aren't ITG claiming to be one of the very few who use the same size as oem?

Whatever the strengths and weaknesses of the new Forge Twintercooler, to be fair I don't think we know enough about its performance yet, or at least I don't.