Make a donation

Author Topic: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09  (Read 92199 times)

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
Re: forge twintake air intake available end Aug 09
« Reply #300 on: November 10, 2009, 09:14:43 am »
I get the reasoning guys, but I'm surprised it took so long, as from initial dyno runs with no filter at all  vs one filter, would have immediately shown the limitation.
Anyways undoubtedly a great product.

for me the two factors are
1 : filter medium used by both   (Forge preferred)
2 : MAF sizing (ITG preferred)

what I want is the ITG tubing with the Forge upstream piping and filters......
ITG vs Forge twintake , we need a dyno comparison  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #301 on: November 10, 2009, 09:38:26 am »

for me the two factors are
1 : filter medium used by both   (Forge preferred)
2 : MAF sizing (ITG preferred)

what I want is the ITG tubing with the Forge upstream piping and filters......

ITG vs Forge twintake , we need a dyno comparison  :happy2:

....We'd need to install each intake on the same car on the same dyno on the same day to get a true relative comparison. That's quite a bit of work. But I agree that it would be very interesting. The ITG and Twintake appear to be the strongest current rivals for the #1 spot.

I'm not hearing of any MAF issues on the FSI engine from the Forge Twintake. They did initially have issues on their TSI version but have now solved them, they say. So, although ITG are right to be proud of how they retain the MAF sizing, there is more than one way to skin a cat [Have I ever? you may ask].
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:40:14 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #302 on: November 10, 2009, 09:47:55 am »

The twintake simply has the largest effective sealed filter area of any intake on the market as far as I understand it.. No matter what some people seem to think, it works, its been proved over and over and thats the end of it..

Buy one Robin, you wont regret it mate  :smiley:

....You happen to be someone who's advice in such matters I take notice of and I know you were running one on your Ed30 and reported being very pleased.

I have a couple of other financial committments I need to deal with first before buying an intake but the Twintake has now risen on my never ending list of mods for serious consideration.

:happy2: 8) :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #303 on: November 10, 2009, 10:11:11 am »

@ robin I reckon this is the filter for you, it looks the part, and IMO if its capable of supplying enough air to  jonnyc S3 which is prob around 240bhp more than your GTI, then it must give a good increase over the stock intake

....You know me well, Sy! :smiley: - I like both reliable performance and eye-candy under my bonnet. Some say that they don't care how things look under the bonnet and I do understand that it's stupid to primarily go for only eye-candy, but I get asked to open my bonnet quite often just because I have a carbon one and because many car enthusiasts like to look at engine bays - Me included. It's not a show car though - It's just that the owner likes to pose :wink:

I currently run a Carbonio with ITG panel filter and IF I buy a Twintake it will be from JKM* and we'll do dyno runs and probably on-road logging before and after. But I'll be turning down my Revo2 Boost to 4 because I don't want to rush into the expense of an APR fuel pump (I'm not interested in the other pump) nor the extra stresses of Stage 2+. I'm not being a 'hater' of Revo2+ - It's just that it will make everything work that much harder.

I know jonnyc was/is running a Twintake on his Ed30 but not if on his S3. But either way, he's running waaaay more power than me.

Btw, I've spotted your name on the forum across the pond (which I only frequent occasionally if there's an interesting subject).

:happy2:

* JKM are offering a discount on the Forge Twintake for this forum's members.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:21:22 am by RedRobin »

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #304 on: November 10, 2009, 10:29:16 am »
all good advice but is the MAF  housing thing an issue or not?
either it is and ITG have it right , or its not an issue and Forge have taken advantage of this....
if its not Id like to know how forge have worked around it.
RR you also need to consider that jonnyc's car was way above the mid point for 'modded' cars.
so maybe not each intake works well for each spec std / stage1 / stage2+ / BT etc
just looking for answers  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: November 10, 2009, 10:40:37 am »
Im going to take the car down to Forge to have an intake made on the car, looking forward to having the Twintake on there to see the difference it makes..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #306 on: November 10, 2009, 12:04:52 pm »

all good advice but is the MAF housing thing an issue or not?
either it is and ITG have it right , or its not an issue and Forge have taken advantage of this....
if its not Id like to know how forge have worked around it.

RR you also need to consider that jonnyc's car was way above the mid point for 'modded' cars.
so maybe not each intake works well for each spec std / stage1 / stage2+ / BT etc
just looking for answers  :happy2:

....I think it was Keith from APR who posted some detailed explanations about potential MAF issues. I now want to search for and read again - It may even be somewhere in this loooong thread we're in here!

In loose terms I'm thinking that such MAF issues aren't necessarily black & white. Mike @ Forge USA has certainly stated quite clearly that the FSI version Twintake has no MAF issues but that the TSI version had and they have been solved by moving its position in the stream and this has of course quite rightly delayed final production.

ITG's solution of maintaining the MAF housing etc is excellent and would appear to be foolproof. However, I put it to you that by emphasising they have done this, ITG potentially gain more credibility and hence market < I hasten very quickly to add that there is absolutely nothing wrong at all in such an approach (imo). In marketing it's called product differentiation.

I'm not an expert - Very few of us here are and even experts in the same industry don't always agree.

Good point about jonnyc's car and how different intakes will work best with different cars - Not just their remaps (or not) but also high-flow exhausts and other mods. To that end I am already in discussion with someone regarding my individual car and the effect of intakes.

Like you, I'm just looking for answers too and can afford to be objective.

[Don't forget about cat skinning  :evilgrin:]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:09:30 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #307 on: November 10, 2009, 12:10:00 pm »
I'd love to see some flow figures for the Twintake.

Anything over 290g/s at 6900rpm and I'd be interested. :jumping:

Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #308 on: November 10, 2009, 12:23:52 pm »

....Keep an eye on the forum across the pond, John - Forge's Mike over there is a dude who obliges with such info. [The majority of the rest either just nod their heads and keep saying "sick!" or have verbal fights with each other which don't get moderated].

:happy2:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #309 on: November 10, 2009, 12:34:56 pm »
The thing is Robin, we need to see flow figures for both K03 and K04, as they will not be the same. Mike @ Forge may have an answer for both though :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #310 on: November 10, 2009, 01:05:09 pm »

what were the flow figures for the ITG on stevep's car

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #311 on: November 10, 2009, 01:12:31 pm »

Heard Simons ITG last night.  Very tempting.  Think if im spending c£300 on another inlet I need
to see which may give gains or ensure there are no losses over my Dbilas

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #312 on: November 10, 2009, 01:18:50 pm »
The flow figures will not be accurate unless the MAF housing size is set correctly!  The MAF tables are calibrated to the OEM MAF housing size therefore if you change the size of the MAF housing the reading will not be accurate.  So if Forge do not have a MAF housing ID of 67mm (I do not know what the ID is on the twintake) the figures will be skewed just as they are for any other intake with incorrect MAF housing sizes.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #313 on: November 10, 2009, 01:39:07 pm »

Heard Simons ITG last night.  Very tempting.  Think if im spending c£300 on another inlet I need to see which may give gains or ensure there are no losses over my Dbilas

....I don't know how the ITG compares but theoretically the basic assumption that the Twintake has more surface area than the Dbilas, due to having two filters (I don't think they are tiny), strongly suggests that the Twintake will give you gains over your Dbilas.

I think that most of us consider four things when choosing an intake (each of us having a different order of preference) : -

- Performance.

- Looks and build quality.

- Sound.

- Cost.

Currently, considering all the air intakes available, it seems to me to be just a two-horse race with the Twintake running as favourite over ITG. But the tote can change.

Expect to see quite a few other brands of previously used air intakes listed for sale.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #314 on: November 10, 2009, 01:42:42 pm »

The flow figures will not be accurate unless the MAF housing size is set correctly!  The MAF tables are calibrated to the OEM MAF housing size therefore if you change the size of the MAF housing the reading will not be accurate.  So if Forge do not have a MAF housing ID of 67mm (I do not know what the ID is on the twintake) the figures will be skewed just as they are for any other intake with incorrect MAF housing sizes.

....Presumably it's quite a simple question to ask Forge about how they accommodate the needs of the MAF.

But I for one am not forgetting that even industry experts can disagree and that cats may be skinned in more than one way.