Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello..Again...  (Read 788 times)

Offline JD_26989

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hello..Again...
« on: April 23, 2013, 11:09:16 pm »
Hey folks,

I'm John, but everyone calls me JD :) Been a member of this site for a while, long time lurker, under the name of DarkSideJohn. Through so dodgy phishing I lost access to my main email account so created another (less hassle ) and basically re-invented my on-line persona, not just here but on a lot of forums ! As such I created a new account of my favourite VW forum :)

I thought I best re-introduce myself again, as if memory serves I made a poor job of it last time.

I currently drive the following,   :driver:
Reflex Silver '04 VW Golf Mk5 GT TDI 140
With the following mods :

Stage 1 Remap by AwesomeGTI - Unsure of actual bhp as never had it on a dyno but was assured around the 175-185 ballpark.
Pipercross Carbon Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit
Milltek TBE

All standard on the outside, other than the GTI rear valance to accommodate the TBE.

I'm quickly approaching the 100k miles milestone, IIRC 99300 or there abouts. Still on the stock clutch and turbo, which actually brings me onto a couple of questions.

In the near future I am looking to upgrade / safeguard my car with a uprated clutch and turbo setup. Not looking for vast amounts of power as I don't visit the track but occasionally get some private road jaunts.

I have noticed my car does blow a little smoke at first startup, but only on the ignition stage then clears. The smoke will then appear under only certain driving conditions, it tends to be in 2nd/3rd when either using a small amount of boost e.g stop start / town traffic driving or occasionally when accelerating for example, turn into a corner in 2nd, feed the boost while accelerating and a wee bit of white / grey smoke appears.

There is no smoke for example when in 3rd and above and already on boost. As there are no dash error lights or a drop in performance during these brief moments of smoke, I assumed it was just a feature of now having a full TBE ? I.e now my tailpipes are visible I am noticing the smoke where as before it was all under the car with discreet down turned pipes.
Another thought however crossed my mind, is the smoke due not having a proper map setup to utilise the TBE ? As far as I am aware the map I currently have is just a generic safe stage 1 map that gives a nice increase in bhp and torque over stock but nothing overly fancy.

This lead me to think about getting the car mapped properly, e.g. a custom tune by the likes of R-Tech, Revo, DarksideDevelopments to name but three. But I had doubts about this due to the fact that my car is now near that 100k on the stock turbo and clutch, I don't want to go and get a lovely custom tune only for it to blow one or both of the afore mentioned parts.

In a perfect world, I would like a new turbo, clutch and map done all at the same time but that is going to cost a pretty penny !
So I guess what I am looking for is some advice on what to do, is there anything I should worry about etc from you guys here who in my eyes know performance diesels like the backs of your hands !!

Thank you for reading, apologies for the long post, I tend to be a bit wordy sometimes !

JD

Online Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Hello..Again...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 07:41:12 am »
Hello again-All depends on your budget but you will also need to up grade the brakes.My tdi is running a hybrid turbo but there is a lot of things to change that goes with it.If you get a re map then make sure the turbo is up to taking it as well as the clutch 

Offline JD_26989

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:05:48 pm »
I've been having a serious look at what it would cost to get all I want doing.... :rolleye:

Quite fancy the GTB1756VK Turbo, the entry level model if you will, but bigger than stock. This retails for a staggering £1900 before fitting !                               ( http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/darkside-gtb-turbo-kit-for-2-0-16v-tdi-bkd.html )

To go with this, I figured I would need a clutch such as Sachs 2.0 TDi 6 Speed 02Q Dual Mass Flywheel with Sachs SRE Performance Clutch Kit, this is rated to 375Ft/Lbs+ surely plenty of headroom ? This cost £710 with an apparent £200 fitting.

So far that tots up to £2810 which does not include fitting for the turbo...

I think I am getting eyes bigger than my stomach !

Even if I said roughly 3k for everything, is it really worth it on a '04 TDI with nearly 100k miles which I just had full service , new tyres all round, TBE fitted too for the tune of around £1500 !

Think I am having a crisis of concious as what to do  :sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:22:06 am »
Hi JD
It all depends if you think your engine is up to it,by the sounds of it your not confident with the smoke query,I'd get a health check first before going down that route.
Lucifer on here knows shedloads about diesels ask him.

Offline JD_26989

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 10:42:49 am »
The drive to work this morning made me realise just how much of a torque whore I am !!!
I just really love that big kick in my behind from torque, don't think I would get that from a petrol ?

Really don't know what to do now :/