Make a donation

Author Topic: Squeak on boost...  (Read 2206 times)

Offline marcnazer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Squeak on boost...
« on: April 25, 2013, 01:53:23 pm »
I fitted an ITG Intake at the weekend which I am happy with and it sounds good...although a bit like darth vader but thats not a bad thing.
But since fitting it, I've noticed when I put my foot down and drive hard...after about 4500 rpm I get a sort of high pitched squeak I assume from the turbo, anyone got any idea what might be causing this or had this problems themselves?

Thanks

Offline karl210

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Squeak on boost...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:08:50 pm »
Mine does this too, I would fit the standard airbox back on to check if this is the provlem but I dont have it anymore. Its bloody annoying

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:00:06 pm »
I'm assuming that we're talking K03 turbos here.

I used to have the same squawking noise under full load, and it drove me mad. To get rid of the problem, a K04 was fitted and the noise has disappeared  :grin: . I'm sure that it is an annoying characteristic of a K03 when is it asked to work a little harder  :happy2:

Offline marcnazer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 03:12:14 pm »
Yeah K03, but it seems odd that i've only heard this noise since fitting the intake, unless I can just hear it better now than before...

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 03:20:16 pm »
I've had this since fitting my intake too, it is annoying.
Although I don't have the ability to do so on mine, if you can, try rotating the MAF section downwards - and triple check for any possible leaks.

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 03:34:19 pm »
I'm certain that it's turbo related. People have asked this before, but I've never seen a conclusive answer.

From my own experience (with the same supporting same mods), it doesn't happen with a K04.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:55:30 pm »
I've been tuned for a while and I never heard this even slightly with the standard airbox, or carbonio+standard air.

Can the standard airbox have THAT much of an effect to be able to completely dial out this squeaking under load?

I too have read loads about this and have never seen a solution... which leads me to believe it is the K03 and the airbox does cancel it out. :sad1:

IT may just be the reason why VW made the Airbox so overengineered.

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:08:22 pm »
Have you attached the pipe work to the turbo inlet properly?

I had a squeak when I first fitted my evoms but refitting the pipe to the turbo stopped it, it can be really aquard as you need to hold the jubilee clip in place whilst tightening it up.

Offline marcnazer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 05:42:13 pm »
Yes I have fitted that pipe properly, it was a bit of a pig to do as you know but I got the eventually with it in the correct position and nice and tight.
But as other people are having or have had the same issue then it sounds like its just something I have to put up with rather than a fitting issue...

Hmmm...maybe a De-cat DP and Non-res exhaust system will make enough roar to cancel out the squeak?  :evilgrin:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 05:44:42 pm »
Hmm, I'm not satisfied with that tbh... does anyone have a K03 with CAI that doesn't squeak?  Where's red robin, he seems to have researched a lot of intakes... :pomppomp:

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 09:57:27 am »
I have a twintake kit on my KO3 and it gives off a slight 'whooooo' when driving at full throttle.. but I put it down to the velocity of the air travelling through the tube-like structure of the kit.. similar noise as when you blow through a long straw
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)