Make a donation

Author Topic: Grit Guards  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Grit Guards
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:06:16 pm »
Can someone tell me how to use these?

Do I need one in the in the soap bucket and one in the rinse bucket?
Do I scrape the wool mitt along the grit guard before soaping the car? Or scrape it in the rinse bucket?? Or not scrape it at all??? :confused:

I just don't know whether to buy one or two grit guards and what the modus operandi is.

Thanks
'07 Red manual

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Grit Guards
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 12:18:27 pm »
Not that I have one  :ashamed: but my understanding is that it goes in the rinse bucket and you rub your mit over it prior to using the shampoo bucket,am sure someone will be along soon if thats not correct.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 12:51:20 pm »
As above, you only really need it in the rinse bucket. The idea is that it stops grit particles coming higher up in the water where it may be soaked up by the washmitt/sponge. You don't have to rub the mitt over the grit guard.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Rhys_Gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:03:02 pm »
I have one in both and rub it mainly in the rinse bucket, mine were on a deal when getting new buckets they are a good investment.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 10:49:52 pm »
I dont think any of the answers above are correct. The idea i believe is to just stop you putting your hand and wash mitt all the way into the bottom of the bucket and into the grit which will be settled on the bottom. I could be wrong but i dont scrape anything across the grit guard.  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4f1lktfjrvsceup88arh0mn0rd&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 11:25:35 pm »
I dont think any of the answers above are correct. The idea i believe is to just stop you putting your hand and wash mitt all the way into the bottom of the bucket and into the grit which will be settled on the bottom. I could be wrong but i dont scrape anything across the grit guard.  :happy2:

^^ you are correct.

Alternatively... save yourself some money and get into the habit only putting the wash mitt it the top of the bucket... and not swilling it around at the bottom.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:50:56 pm »
I use the 2bm but have never used grit guards...pointless pieces of plastic, dirt can still get up through them...

Pointless IMHO. You should be getting the majority of the dirt off by a pre-rinse spray or a snow-foam solution not through contact washing. If there are large deposits left then something is wrong with your pre-wash procedure IMHO.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 07:14:55 am »
I like the fact your hose slots in to the middle piece it saves you holding the hose to fill the buckets, as said you don't really need them as you can just use the water at the higher level. I've got one in each bucket and if didn't get them with the bucket I probably wouldn't of bothered
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:04:15 am »
Thats why I have never really bothered with one as I always lift the water from the top of the bucket.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 10:10:55 am »
My two monster buckets came with grit guards so I use them, I do see fine silt at the base after washing, but would probably see this anyway.  As someone else said a decent pre wash foam and rinse will see most nasties away.

Offline ConorF

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 12:08:02 pm »
Ill be honest, i use a mayonaise bucket and a dish washing bucket, no grit guards here!

Offline ell.s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 10:49:22 am »

When you get the grit guards on the packet it says to wipe over the guard! I never do in fear of agitating the grit.

Offline CMB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 08:46:56 pm »
The main purpose is actually the four fan type slots on the bottom, the reasoning being that when you put your mitt in the bucket the water at the bottom of the bucket with the grit in doesn't get agitated therefore not sending the grit floating around the water then onto your mitt. The fans act as a barrier so the water at the bottom doesn't move around, the guard needs to be a tight fit and not be able to spin around as that defeats the whole purpose

Offline Attention2Detail

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 02:02:46 pm »
Hi, as above they have dual purpose. They are obviously a fail safe that you do not collect particles from the bottom with your mitt etc but also the fins underneath are proven to reduce the amount of movement in the water stopping the dirt particles from lifting and swirling around. I'm not saying that these are all that puts your car and wash method away from the risk of swirls, there are many steps including a very important and thorough pre-wash/snow foam and a good spray off before making contact but these are certainly a worthwhile piece of kit - the water in the bucket may look clean but even tiny particles can do damage.
The question of 1 or 2 depends on budget. we personally have always used 1 in each bucket but 1 in the rinse bucket is definitely better than nothing at all. Scrapping the mitt is also good practice as any extra efforts to ensure the mitt is free of contaminants will help.
As also mentioned its key that the guard doesn't spin as you are just stirring the bucket. The latest Scratch Guard product has adjustable fins to ensure tight fit in virtually every form of bucket.

Ben.