Make a donation

Author Topic: Can a lone copper with speed gun prosecute without stopping you ?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline wagonboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
  • Nov.2007 ED30 dsg reflex silver
As post, can you be prosecuted by a lone copper  with a hand held speed gun in a siding without being stopped. Semi dark last night on dual carriageway and i'm sure i was doing about 80 in a 70 mph, did'nt notice him until i was almost going past him. Was expecting to be pulled in further along the stretch, but no.
Not sure of this scenario.
Any of you knowledgeable guy's and girls been in this situation or do I just have to wait the 14 days to see if they will prosecute.
Any opinions greatly appreciated.
Hasten to add I was driving very respectfully on an open road on inside lane , there was not a lot of traffic.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bqjm3ltcluq29bu5uodvcefaku&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Can a lone copper with speed gun prosecute without stopping you ?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:39:48 pm »
If he didnt pull you over... then your fine.

A copper with a speed gun is different to a camera van.

Offline wagonboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:07:41 pm »

Thanks 'Richwig' for your positive early reply.

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:30:47 pm »
What part of the country were you? Some local police have build in radar and cameras into the front of the car. If he had a speed gun then its highly unlikely you were 'snapped'.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline Jamie3184

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:35:06 pm »

Not true unfortunately.

As stated, it's unlikely that you will get done for speeding however there is still a chance that you will get done. You can still get a NIP sent through to you without being pulled over and issued one there and then.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:35:23 pm »
I think for the most part 80 in a 70 is going to be let go, much bigger fish to fry.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bqjm3ltcluq29bu5uodvcefaku&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 02:11:40 pm »

Not true unfortunately.

As stated, it's unlikely that you will get done for speeding however there is still a chance that you will get done. You can still get a NIP sent through to you without being pulled over and issued one there and then.

So what evidence would the present as the speed gun doesn't capture a picture..... It wouldnt stand up in court as far an i'm concerned.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 02:22:02 pm »
This is exactly what I argued when I got "Done" for speeding when I was not actually speeding, his word against mine, even tho I had 3 passengers who swore I was not speeding they still prosecuted, fortunately for me the pen1s who pulled me (welsh copper in Abersoch) was crap at paperwork and the points were only on my licence for a mere 4 months before I sent my licence in to DVLA to have them removed (a catalogue of errors and quite farcical especially as I was not speeding on 1st place, I was 3rd in a line of traffic and he was behind the car behind me, my major problem it seemed was I was not sporting the welsh dragon on my car  :signLOL:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Jamie3184

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 03:26:05 pm »

Not true unfortunately.

So what evidence would the present as the speed gun doesn't capture a picture..... It wouldnt stand up in court as far an i'm concerned.

There are guns out at the moment that DO take picture or video evidence, they are quite new though so i don't know if they would actualy be in use by any force.

I would imagine that the evidence they would present would be the data recorded on the gun itself i.e time, date, speed, etc. The gun has the ability to store such data until it is cleared. Add that too the officers "own word" and i would imagine that would be enough to send out a NIP.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 03:30:54 pm »

Not true unfortunately.

There are guns out at the moment that DO take picture or video evidence, they are quite new though so i don't know if they would actualy be in use by any force.

I would imagine that the evidence they would present would be the data recorded on the gun itself i.e time, date, speed, etc. The gun has the ability to store such data until it is cleared. Add that too the officers "own word" and i would imagine that would be enough to send out a NIP.

And what happens if said copper read your number plate As MF07 HNY when it was MF07 HMY.... see what I mean... unless its photographic eveidence then  :confused:

Offline wagonboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 03:49:15 pm »
What part of the country were you? Some local police have build in radar and cameras into the front of the car. If he had a speed gun then its highly unlikely you were 'snapped'.

Near Chelmsford in Essex, just annoying that they seem to semi- hide themselves in a lay-by, albeit i was over the limit but most traffic would be travelling at a similar speed on that type of road especially at around 8pm at night.  All of you keep your eyes peeled ALL OF THE TIME.