Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice on latest smartphones – sorry!  (Read 2532 times)

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Advice on latest smartphones – sorry!
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 10:50:38 pm »
I have a galaxy s4 on pre order which can't yet be fulfilled :-( had a HTC one x which I hated but loved my s2 and love my current nexus 4. Android is definitely the future.

Offline PDT

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 10:53:02 pm »
I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.. :love:

And it's flipping awesome.. Battery last for nearly 2 days and a beautiful 5.5 inch super HD screen.

Best phone I've ever used.

I had one for a week recently whilst in New York, screen was great but email was awful and didn't ever sync folders properly (reading help forums I realised this was a known issue) and downloading/viewing pics or attachments in emails was really frustrating. Other than the screen I hated it. After 30 mins back on my iPhone when I got back to the uk I boxed up the Samsung and put it on ebay.

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
Re: Re: Advice on latest smartphones – sorry!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 10:58:02 pm »
I like the Note 2 but its just too big to comfortably thumb type when holding horizontally. Or maybe my hands are too small lol

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 08:55:07 am »
Another vote for the HTC one here too. I've had mine almost a year and it has been spot on.  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 10:06:23 am »
I came from an HTC desire (which was a sellout at the time) to the One X+ and it's brilliant.. every gripe I had about the desire has been ironed out of the One X series.. and its superfast!

Okay, the One may be the latest but that now means you'll get some good deals on the One X+  :happy2: pretty much the rival to the S3 but I prefer the warmer, less clinical feel of the SLCD screen on the HTC.
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 09:52:23 pm »
Well..... Some really helpful and interesting info - thanks. HTC or stick with Blackberry with the Q10 both look favorites for me. I REALLY want to take the plunge with full touchscreen, just dread the thought of not getting on with a touchscreen keyboard......?

Didn't the first Androids get really bad reviews???

HTC or Q10 - need to decide next week!

Thanks all

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2013, 08:12:55 am »
A really useful function of my Blackberry 9900 is the ability to change the notification LED colour for different notifications. I find this handy at work, as I can see at a glance whether I have email or text etc. it seems this cannot be done with HTC's, as the LED hardware is only red and green.

However, another important thing for me is a desktop charging dock, which ins't avail for the Blackberry (side connector)!

Am I analysing this too much!!!?

Cheers

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 08:46:19 am »
Another vote for the HTC one here too. I've had mine almost a year and it has been spot on.  :happy2:

One X? The One with no X only just came out...

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 08:55:52 am »
A really useful function of my Blackberry 9900 is the ability to change the notification LED colour for different notifications. I find this handy at work, as I can see at a glance whether I have email or text etc. it seems this cannot be done with HTC's, as the LED hardware is only red and green.

This any good?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflow&hl=en

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 09:07:12 am »
Thanks, looks like just the thing, but apparently the LED on the HTC can only emit green and red, no blue to make up other colours!?

Need to decide soon!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 09:18:32 am »
Says if you root the HTC just 3 colours are available. Maybe NoLED would work on the One?

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 09:24:12 am »
Check out www.coolsmartphone.com, a great resource for phone geeks and http://www.xda-developers.com/ for all things technical...mind blowing
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline Max99

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
  • White GTi owner
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 10:00:45 am »
The HTC One and the Galaxy S4 are the two you should consider, both very similar in terms of spec/performance, I'd lean towards to the S4 as I have done due to Samsung being more reliable, if any of you own a HTC before you may be aware of how cr@p they can be, obviously this in previous models but the risk for me and the issues I've had along with thousands of others with HTC has meant I've gone Samsung.

Xperia Z - Good, waterproof feature is great, but doesn't cut it

Z10 - Lot of people have had issues with it already, having send back etc

iPhone 5 , may as well get a iPhone 4S  :)

Offline Jamie3184

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 07:58:57 pm »
Well..... Some really helpful and interesting info - thanks. HTC or stick with Blackberry with the Q10 both look favorites for me. I REALLY want to take the plunge with full touchscreen, just dread the thought of not getting on with a touchscreen keyboard......?

Didn't the first Androids get really bad reviews???

HTC or Q10 - need to decide next week!

Thanks all

Maybe when it was brand new years and years ago but then anything like that is going to come up with "must do better". Trust me when i say that android is the future and is already better than what apple has to offer.

If that is what is stopping you from buying an android phone then completly disregard it, get yourself an S4 or HTC one  :happy2: