Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake upgrade.  (Read 13923 times)

Offline veedubbubh

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Brake upgrade.
« on: August 01, 2009, 03:48:49 pm »
Any advice on brake upgrades?

Nothing silly people please  -  I use this car as a car not as garage jewellery or as a mobile sound system!

OEM brakes are not good enough at high speed and too grabby at low.

On OEM 17inch rims so upgrades have to fit in these.

Thank-you.

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Brake upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 04:39:22 pm »
i fitted the Audi S3 front and back and i must say for fast road they are amazing compared to the standard edition 30 ones. they have some serious grab, i would even say they are better than the porsche ones i had on my TT and they were a lot more money. dunno about track use but for the road i would recomend
"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 05:08:36 pm »

AP Racing BBKit fit the Monza 17's but they now cost about £1,800 for 4-pot fronts. About 85% of the braking on the Mk5 GTI is on the front and the car isn't heavy enough to warrant more.

Unless you are doing loads of track I would suggest that you need only upgrade your fronts and only need 4-pot. The main problem with the oem brakes is the pedal feel (not confidence inspiring) and it is much easier to induce fade.

If you don't want to spend so much on a proper big brake kit such as AP's then there are other half-way house methods such as stainless steel braided hoses and pads. Some folks have used brakes off other VAG cars but I can't comment on those. I'm sure info on such alternatives will get posted here.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 05:10:37 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 06:13:09 pm »
My TAROX 10 pot kit fits 17" with the Pro race alloys (good front clearance), but don't know if it would clear OEM 17" Monza's.
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 06:20:04 pm »
^^^^

Oh, I should have added you don't need more than 4-pots unless you drive like Hurdy! :evilgrin:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 06:25:10 pm »
^^^^

Oh, I should have added you don't need more than 4-pots unless you drive like Hurdy! :evilgrin:

I'm sure I don't know what you mean :innocent:

Should help control those 400+ horsies when they arrive eh!

Sorry.....off topic (again :ashamed:)

TAROX do other set-ups too. The 6 pots would be spot on for the GTI. :notworthy:
Golf R gone.

Offline veedubbubh

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 05:55:34 pm »
Hi guys thanx for the speedy replies - I am not into any real modifications just like to drive!

This may be a silly question but would you see any real difference in brake feel or performance by just changing out the OEM brake pads to something like Ferrodo DS2500?

Thank -you again for your help.

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 06:45:12 pm »
What's the crack with fitting say, the brakes from an S3? Is it just a case of finding a set at a breakers and fitting them or is it loads more complicated than that? What parts need changing etc.

What could I expect to pay for something like that too?

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 06:45:52 pm »
What's the crack with fitting say, the brakes from an S3? Is it just a case of finding a set at a breakers and fitting them or is it loads more complicated than that? What parts need changing etc.

S3 and R32 have the same brake set-up :happy2:

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:52:54 pm »

S3 and R32 have the same brake set-up :happy2:

they are similar but not the same, they look very different, but bassically do the same job, ie same pads and discs.

you need the calipers inc carriers and discs and hoses for the front and its a straight swap, i used the dust guards too but ive heard you can use the gti front ones but you need the guards for the rear, but not the hoses for the rear
"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:55:15 pm »
s3 and r32 and leon cupra are the same brakes just colour change  :smiley: i buy sets all the time from VW

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 06:58:22 pm »
s3 and r32 and leon cupra are the same brakes just colour change  :smiley: i buy sets all the time from VW

s3 is a different caliper in shape and colour.

r32 is the same as the cupra but a different colour

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 07:09:48 pm »
Hi,

Im currently running my edition 30 at 300bhp on std brakes, iv fitted ferodo ds2500 pads all round and can honestly say that the diference is like night and day.  They gave me more than enough confidence at the nurburgring and stood up to a whole day of Oulton park on Friday.  The only problem at Oulton was I could feel my brake fluid starting to boil on my very last outing.  In a nutshell try fitting DS2500's all round and changing your brake fluid to a race spec one and you should have some very impressive stopping power for under £250 and half a days work.

Go one step further and have a full Cupra R setup (bigger calipers and disks), fit DS2500's to them and you will see even better stopping power and maintain your OEM look.

Im still toying with the idea of doing this myself as I cant justify spending £1,800 on my daily drive and ocassional track/ring toy (erm that could have been worded a little better)

Steve

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 07:23:26 pm »
Hi,

Im currently running my edition 30 at 300bhp on std brakes, iv fitted ferodo ds2500 pads all round and can honestly say that the diference is like night and day.  They gave me more than enough confidence at the nurburgring and stood up to a whole day of Oulton park on Friday.  The only problem at Oulton was I could feel my brake fluid starting to boil on my very last outing.  In a nutshell try fitting DS2500's all round and changing your brake fluid to a race spec one and you should have some very impressive stopping power for under £250 and half a days work.

Go one step further and have a full Cupra R setup (bigger calipers and disks), fit DS2500's to them and you will see even better stopping power and maintain your OEM look.

Im still toying with the idea of doing this myself as I cant justify spending £1,800 on my daily drive and ocassional track/ring toy (erm that could have been worded a little better)

Steve

Although I have shiny kit syndrome and would love a huge shiny 2 piece brake kit Im impressed with my Mk2 Cupra brakes so am going to fit braided lines, ds2500s and new discs and fluid.  What fluid would you recommend??

cheers

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 07:26:42 pm »
Hi,

Im currently running my edition 30 at 300bhp on std brakes, iv fitted ferodo ds2500 pads all round and can honestly say that the diference is like night and day.  They gave me more than enough confidence at the nurburgring and stood up to a whole day of Oulton park on Friday.  The only problem at Oulton was I could feel my brake fluid starting to boil on my very last outing.  In a nutshell try fitting DS2500's all round and changing your brake fluid to a race spec one and you should have some very impressive stopping power for under £250 and half a days work.

Steve

....I'm wondering how the brake setup you describe will effect your oem discs in the longer term and also how it reduces the potential for brake fading as you are not changing the discs.

As I understand it, pad materials should be proven to match to disc surface materials. And brake fade isn't exclusively created from overheated fluid.

I'm just curious to learn. :smiley: