Make a donation

Author Topic: Any PT instructors/fitness freaks on here...  (Read 2337 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Any PT instructors/fitness freaks on here...
« on: April 27, 2013, 12:46:18 pm »
Right, due to family committments i can only get 1 game of 5 a side in a week and I used to play 2 games a week for many years. I have been getting frustrated at my level of fitness as one game is not enough to enable it to improve enough to push harder in that one game.

i do have time to go for one, maybe two short 1.5 mile runs. I play footie on a Friday and Thursday is the best day to go for a run so this week tried it but as i feared it backfired as my thighs were pretty dead come the game and i had less running not more in me.

so my question is, is it just a case of conditioning and after say 6 weeks i will have broken my legs in enough to do the run and game on b2b days or realistically do i need to drop the Thursday run and try and go on say Sunday or Wednesday because need a rest day in between the exercise to let the muscles recover whilst improving lung capacity by going for the short runs earlier in the week.

i am 35 now so may have an affect also cause i remember in my early 20's i went running every night with no issues but again not sure if down to younger age or simply conditioning your body into that particular regime...

ta
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Any PT instructors/fitness freaks on here...
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 03:02:54 pm »
Your body will get used to it.

Buy some supplements to aid recovery between the Thursday run and Friday match, and perhaps even look at some performance boosters for the Friday match day. Also you might want to look at your diet, good diet prep alone before match days will make a massive difference to your energy levels.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:42:18 pm »
Your body will get used to it.

Buy some supplements to aid recovery between the Thursday run and Friday match, and perhaps even look at some performance boosters for the Friday match day. Also you might want to look at your diet, good diet prep alone before match days will make a massive difference to your energy levels.

cheers, what kind of supplements? re diet yes have noticed if have a nice pasta meal on friday lunch have more energy than if have a sandwich/pastie/pie/salad

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 10:12:59 pm »
Have a protein shake as soon as possible after exercise, it's what your muscles are craving at that point.  You can also replenish a decent amount of electrolytes through digestion, with the milk in the shake. Stretch your muscles after working out, and always keep hydrated before / during and after exercise.  Also, do not under estimate the importance of getting a full, decent nights sleep to aid recovery. :happy2:

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 11:57:33 pm »
mmm might have to try a shake.

the nights sleep aint so easy to guarantee with the little fella teething  :chicken:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 07:28:03 am »
Instead of the 1.5 mile runs do interval training. It's a far more effective way of raising your fitness level.

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:02:27 am »
Instead of the 1.5 mile runs do interval training. It's a far more effective way of raising your fitness level.

Good plan.

I have been doing the INSANITY workout program.  :jumpmove:
Interval training with a tailored meal plan. Currently just finishing week 8 of 9.
I am a keen mountain biker, which I picked up again a few weeks ago after the poor weather. Both me and my mates couldn't believe the increase in fitness even after only week 3 of the program. I am stronger and have much more stamina + I have lost nearly a stone and a half in 8 weeks!

Before I started I was pretty unfit but a challenge from a friend at work got me into it. I am already thinking of round 2; very addictive.
To be fair there are not many addictions that are this good for you.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do

PS:

Beware; for the first week to week and a half you will likely ache all over pretty much most of the day. As for level of difficulty; it is called insanity for a reason. I never thought I would ever enjoy this level of hard work. :jumping:

2017 Audi S4

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 12:08:29 pm »

Good plan.

You just don't get any quick gains from continuous cardio workouts. I still do one distance run a week, but the majority are 30 minute interval runs. They are by far my preferred method of exercise. Always feel absolutely great after it, and the benefit is that your body burns calories for hours, even days, after it.

My guess is that on your 1.5 mile you are more or less hitting a brick wall straightaway, running through it, but never quite recovering. So the large majority of the distance is covered at 5 - 6 tenths pace.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 12:12:55 pm by andrewparker »