Make a donation

Author Topic: Spark Plugs  (Read 9062 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
Re: Spark Plugs
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2009, 06:26:09 pm »
Talking of Spark Plug I was told by a VW Dealer the recommended interval is now 60K for the BYD engine in the ED30 when I asked for the cost for the 40K service while getting Mrs PG car done today.  :surprised:

I won't be waiting that long, it really does seam VW are pushing the limits of the parts these days and I wonder if this is to help things like the cost of ownership comparisons ???

60k miles has always been the replacement timescale for all the 2.0 TFSI engines.  And that is because just like most 'modern' engineered automotive things, they are specifically designed to last much longer than 'old skool' stuff.  Same with longlife engine oils, H7 halogen bulbs, etc.

And yes, longer intervals do help with cost of ownership, but then VAG are no different to say Ford, Vauxhall, BMW, Toyota, Honda or whoever.  Modern spark plugs really are vastly better than the Champion 7YC which you have to replace in your Suffolk Colt lawnmower every spring because the ba$tard wont start, and you end up snapping the starting pull cord in frustration!!!

However, all that said above, TTs learned advice, particularly on a modified car which is driven hard - is to basically reduce the intervals of routine consumables by either a third or a half - so plugs & air filter every 30k, oil & filter every 5k, BFC every year.  Obviously, if you can do those jobs yourself, if wont cost as much as if the garage has to do them.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 06:40:23 pm »

Steve, I've been advised by several tuners and others whose opinions I respect, that it's good practice to change plugs every 20k miles on a tuned engine. It's not expensive and a wise precaution to help everything run sweet.

:happy2:

So when are these 'tuners' experiencing plug brakedown then?  Because I used to run voltage scopes on spark plugs on two stroke race engines, which are far, FAR more demanding on spark plugs than any four stroke engine, even a formula one engine - and even the then new technologies of copper cores didn't result in any premature failure of the plug.  And modern 'fine wire' plugs, especially iridium really can last, with some manufacturers quoting 120k miles between plug changes.  And dont forget ultra high performance motorcycle engines - many of these rev in excees of 14,000 rpm, and can go 40k miles between plug changes - with motorbike plugs generally being physically smaller than plugs in road cars.

So 20k plug changes on the 2.0 TFSI is complete overkill, and 100% un-necessary.  Even my recommendation for 30k miles is very much overkill!
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 06:43:14 pm »

Steve, I've been advised by several tuners and others whose opinions I respect, that it's good practice to change plugs every 20k miles on a tuned engine. It's not expensive and a wise precaution to help everything run sweet.

I agree, I had an occasional missfire problem which was down to a dodgy plug after 20k so I would recommend the same - for the sake of what - £40

What fault code was thrown?  And how do you know that it wasn't simply down to a 'dry' connection between the coil pack and the plug, or the coil pack and the loom?
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 06:47:08 pm »
Hi guys, the pulse plugs wouldnt cause damage as the knock sensor or i should say sensors should be in ultimate control of your timing. There seems to have been a lot written about these plugs and we have even been sent info out on them to allow us to add into ignition courses we run. Like a few of you i would like to try and see what they do as "proof is in the pudding".

Iain

But the tosh they are spewing out on their web site is complete bollox - the actual cause of the initial ignition of the air/fuel mixture has absolutely fcuk all to do with the propogation of the flame front.  You could ask every single formula one team, or MotoGP, or every single engineering Uni in the country, and not one of them would agree with the utter bollox regarding those pulse plugs.

But hey, its your money to burn, and your money which will help prop up the wank US economy!
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 06:55:30 pm »
You can tell if your running the wrong or right heat grade of plugs by how they are burning. Take them out and compare the non-gloss ceramic and spark tip to a spark plug colour guide.

(I have a guide on my home pc so will post it up tonight)

There are also other symptoms to too hot or cold a plug. Too cold a plug can result result in bad start-ups and can result in mis-firing.

Too hot a plug can lead to detonation (det) or pre-ignition issues. (not a good thing)

Agreed, but don't you think that the millions of Euros VWAGs R&D have at their disposal, they have already decided on the correct heat range.  And as for engine tuning, if done properly, then the identical heat range plugs should still be used - maybe moving one grade different at most.

But basically, for anyone who forgets those pictures, a correct plug should have the insulator colour which matches the colour of a rich tea biscuit, with no visible deposits on any of the metalic areas, and no visible wear on the electrodes.  Simple really!
------

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2009, 06:57:02 pm »
Cheapest place to order the BKR7 NGK's is here: http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/

£6.77 inc VAT each.

Thats £27.08 a set + p&p.

Genuine OEM Bosch ones are only £6.15 plus vat from the stealer!
------

Offline zub-gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2009, 11:26:11 am »
Cheapest place to order the BKR7 NGK's is here: http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/

£6.77 inc VAT each.

Thats £27.08 a set + p&p.

Genuine OEM Bosch ones are only £6.15 plus vat from the stealer!

WTF: I called the dealer up here in Aberdeen today and was quoted £9.58 + VAT for plugs for my BWA..
Anyway I have found 'what I am assuming to be' the same plug for £4.97 + VAT
Here - http://www.carsparkplugs.com/ViewPlugs.aspx?id=2266
Hope the link works...

Can someone please confirm these are the correct plugs... Bosch code: FR7KPP332

Also did a search for the BKR7's - http://www.carsparkplugs.com/Search.aspx?q=bkr7

Thanks,

Z
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:30:03 am by zub-gti »

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2009, 12:33:57 pm »
Thought I'd add my twopenneth to the pulstar plug debate. I recently remember seeing a review on these in a magazine. After hunting through the back catalogue I found that the review was in June 2009 Redline magazine. The pulstars basically weren't worth it and lost power over NGK PFR6Q Laser Platinum plugs. On their way home after the test their TT failed and when they put in the NGK plugs everything was fine again. They also found that the pulstars were VERY sensitive to gap settings.

I'll be going for normal plugs with a colder rating very soon. Pulstars seem quite gimmicky and not worth the outlay to me!

Golf R gone.