Make a donation

Author Topic: Harris's MK7 GTI Review  (Read 4063 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Harris's MK7 GTI Review
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 07:09:06 pm »

Vw don't give a sh1t about BHP war they own Bugatti   :booty: if they wanted to they could go crazy but they leave the modding to us to do and get the power we want  :smiley:

^ Most of you have seen my T-shirt before but its slogan is still true!  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »
BMW's aren't always good quality, the X3 is prime example of this, the interior quality was quite shocking - we also looked at the e90's when they first came out and the leather seats weren't a patch on the 9-5 Aero I had at the time, it was like sitting on a wooden chair with a bin bag on it, crap.  Also the pedal offset even in the 3 series was bad, god only knows how horrendous it must be in the 1 series.  

The new 5 series however... amazing all round and big enough to have little pedal offset issues for those that don't want Scoliosis.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 08:22:57 pm »
Even for £30k id rather the golf, the depreciation on the BMW will be horriffic it always is, the quality of everything lacks in the BMW IMO and the golf will be a much better place to sit. No brainer even with a little less power, take it for a stage 1 and you'll be laughing!  :driver:
Nothing you just said makes sence.

Does to me  :sad1:

The moral of the story is, i would have the Golf  :happy2:

You clearly are quite silly. If you want the Golf, that's fine - don't try and justify it to yourself with fantasy logic though, that makes you look stupid.

The M135i has won pretty much every magazine's Car of the Year, they heaped praise on it's drive, its spec and its build quality... at a £30k price point, it isn't Bentley quality, because it isn't Bentley priced. I've been in a MK7, that also has a similar £30k interior.

The GFV on my M135i's 3 year PCP is 55%. That will be the absolute minimum I get for the car, I'll possibly achieve more selling private. If they're going for less on the open market, then fair enough... but I'd not expect BMW to be punting high without a good reason why, everyone had their fingers burnt with that when PCPs were invented.

Incidentally I had a 135i coupe prior to this. I sold that at 5 years old for 40% of its invoice.

Example of 3 year old 135i - still £20k+, and roughly 60-65% of invoice at retail prices.
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/1-series/bmw-1-series-135i/1287334
http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/1-series/bmw-135i-m-sport-coupe-2010--super-big-spec-example/1262907

Now tell me again how their depreciation is horrific??
Sideways yo!

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 08:37:05 pm »
Fair points, my mates dad has just bought the new top spec derv 3 series and he wishes he bought the A4 instead as the cabin really isnt vag quality and to me it feels cheap also. Yes it is ridiculously quick and for a diesel it sounds amazing but it just isnt for me.
ETOand all  :smiley:

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 10:00:35 pm »
Also a factor is the looks of the BMW...a squashed 3 series in Coupe form the proportions just seem a bit weird.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 07:17:18 am »
^^^^
All this discussion of which is "better" between a VW Golf and BMW is entirely subjective.

On paper, one car may appear to be better value for money than the other or be faster but the fact is that an individual's choice of car they buy is down to the individual and their needs and it's mostly irrational.

Do/Did you choose your girlfriend/wife/partner according to a check list?.... Of course not! It's irrational and what simply appeals.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:22:33 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 09:22:41 am »
Choosing a girlfriend is a little different though. If you had to buy them you would go for the slightly flaky Italian looker every time. If Alfa did girlfriends they would be minted  :happy2:

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 09:27:57 am »
And I like my girls to be a goer from the off and not have to pay for the privilege, so I will take the Beemer  :wink:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 09:31:20 am »
LOL.

You can tell me it's ugly as sin, and I'll accept that fine, but anything quantifiable is always going to be up for scrutiny.

I'm willing to stick my neck out and say the MK7 will be up for a hot hatch of the year award, and will be a great car... without even driving one. If you want one, buy it. It doesn't really matter whether it's better or worse than something else.
Sideways yo!

Offline Leonard

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 10:28:10 am »
Main problem for the golf in the hot hatch wars is the Megane. It is such a driver orientated car (and hopefully always will be) that any direct hot hatch performance tests will always make the Golf look merely Luke warm in comparison. That's why the Beemer is such a good buy as it offers the performance of the Megane with the premium feel and civility of the Golf. Look forward to seeing the tuning potential of the new Gti engine though. Hopefully there is a monster locked inside  :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:34:21 am by Leonard »

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 08:17:11 pm »
Golf and M135i, very different cars in many ways, but narrow it down and it's simple:

Both available in 4 door that can fit 4 adults with comfort and plenty of boot space
Both similarly priced
Both have options of a manual or brilliant auto boxes
Both great build quality
Both have a nice subtly road presence
Both will hold value well
Both ate quite 'classless'

But only one will be a true drivers car with a brilliant engine and correct wheel drive with one of the best soundtracks ever.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 05:50:52 pm »

Choosing a girlfriend is a little different though. If you had to buy them you would go for the slightly flaky Italian looker every time. If Alfa did girlfriends they would be minted  :happy2:

....Hmm, since when has any girlfriend/wife not cost you extra money? Granted that some are higher maintenance than others.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 05:51:48 pm »

I'm willing to stick my neck out and say the MK7 will be up for a hot hatch of the year award, and will be a great car... without even driving one. If you want one, buy it. It doesn't really matter whether it's better or worse than something else.

.... :happy2: I wholeheartedly agree.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 05:58:38 pm »
Also I worry about the new engines peak power being at 4700rpm.....

Id wager that at 4700rpm the power flatlines at that level all the way pretty much to the redline.  No doubt done to ensure emissions are low.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 06:55:59 pm »

Also I worry about the new engines peak power being at 4700rpm.....

Id wager that at 4700rpm the power flatlines at that level all the way pretty much to the redline.  No doubt done to ensure emissions are low.

....Perhaps the remappers can sort that out as emissions are not their priority (or many enthusiasts' priority either)