Make a donation

Author Topic: MK6 Golf GTD - advice please  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Dan.b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
MK6 Golf GTD - advice please
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:42:16 pm »
Hi Guys,

Looking to change my MK5 GTI for a MK6 GTD due to my work moving further away.

I've found a nice 09 plate in white for a good price.

My question is are all the engines the same or did they change them at some point? If so which is better?

Also this particular one is DSG. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: MK6 Golf GTD - advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:42:35 pm »
My Scirocco has the same engine as the GTD. Nope, no changes in engines since launch (maybe VW got it right 1st time  :grin:).

They did change the instrument cluster in 2010 IIRC which gives the option to do needle sweep, digital speedo, DRL's on / off (all activated through Vag Com).

DSG is a matter of taste, some like it some don't (not turning this into a Manual vs DSG againnnnnn). I went manual because i keep reading too much in Honest John's column in the Telegraph Motoring about DSG problems (even on new DSG's) so for me its not quite reliable enough  :sad1:  that's excluding the problems a few people have had on the forum.

As covered in the other GTD threads that have been around in the last couple of months, they are pretty reliable (no major failures or weaknesses) and will remap up to 210bhp Stage 1, 220+bhp at stage 2 (DPF removed) - and be quicker than a Stage 1 TSI Golf (according to everybodys favourite mainstream tuner  :wink:)

Hope that helps  :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:22:46 pm by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Re: MK6 Golf GTD - advice please
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 04:13:34 pm »
There's a bigger Diesel Mafia on golfgtiforum.co.uk with a number of GTD owners so you will probably get a bigger response from there :happy2:

As for DSG...well you're more likely to hear bad things than good things on the internet.

I've had several occasional 'glitches' on my MK5 DSG but nothing that's cost me money out of warranty.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone