Make a donation

Author Topic: Zaino?....  (Read 16001 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Zaino?....
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 07:11:13 pm »
^^^^
Thanks for that, Stuart :happy2:

It really is a Batcave too - No electricity nor light and lots of spiders.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 08:54:59 am »

Car very thoroughly handwashed yesterday and now in batcave. This morning it's very lightly drizzling - The sort which you can hardly see but it's in the air. It's expected to be dry this afternoon - If so I'll clay with Meg's QD.

Do I need to shampoo wash and dry the car again between clay and Zaino, please? Or just rinse and dry and Zaino?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 09:50:39 am »
Hi Robin, you'd be ok claying in the rain, ive done it a lot! there's no issues with doing that.

And you can rinse the car, dry with your fluffy towel and you should be ready to zaino, if dry and no waterspots

veedub18

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 07:07:26 pm »
Hi Robin, you'd be ok claying in the rain, ive done it a lot! there's no issues with doing that.

And you can rinse the car, dry with your fluffy towel and you should be ready to zaino, if dry and no waterspots

Perfick  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 08:17:50 pm »

I've just finished my first Zaino coat!! :star: :pomppomp: :jumpmove:

I spent about 2hrs on Sunday handwashing - The car wasn't actually very dirty and had had a complete speed detailer going over a few times prior.

Today, after much procrastinating I eventually took the plunge. I was more nervous than my first lap of The Ring! Armed with half a clay bar (tiny!) and the Meg's QD spray I thought it would take forever but I soon got the knack and it began to look as if someone had cum all over my car! It took me about 3hrs.

Feeling confident I rinsed her with a gentle flat spray and wiped with 'waffle' cloth and then autoperfection's softer-than-soft drying cloth and started applying Zaino Z2 Pro with a Meg's foam applicator.

The Mk5 is nice in that there are easily defined body sections. Leaving about 20 minutes after application I then polished off with a Meg's Microfiber cloth. About 2 hrs for Z2 and polishing. And I'll do another layer tomorrow. She's now in her batcave and probably dazzling all the spiders.

She doesn't look hugely more shiny than before but she is silky smooooth to touch. The clay lifted stuff but not as much as I expected. She did have a £300 protective finish from my VW dealer originally.

For me I think this has been the perfect detailing - I can handle doing this twice a year and continue my handwash-only-when-dirty habit. I can live with swirls and the chips and marks from over 70k miles.

I'm very grateful for the superb advice here :drinking:

Pics when she's had her second Z2 coat and polish.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2009, 08:24:18 pm »

Oh, and i did think of putting slices of cucumber on her wheels but even prize winning marrows weren't big enough.

I promise to cum in your mouth   :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:20:51 am by RedRobin »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2009, 08:47:21 pm »
Well done robin. Make sure you leave 24 hrs between coats

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 09:20:08 pm »
^^^^
Ooops! That's good to know, Jay! I was gonna do it in the morning but will have time late afternoon (+24hrs) before I head out to the airport.

:drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 11:12:35 pm »

Will it matter if I apply the second coat of Zaino Z2 after 22 hours rather than 24 hours later? (She's in her batcave)

veedub18

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2009, 06:52:39 am »
Hi Robin,
A good write up there, and I'm glad you enjoyed the Zaino. IMO you would be ok putting the second coat of Z2 22 hours later, it should be "cured" enough by then.

There is a product you can get from Zaino that is a cure accelerator, I've used it myself, but I just tend to do a couple of coats over a weekend than spend all day putting layers on.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/zaino/zfx-flash-cure-accelerator-additive/prod_465.html

You put some Z2 in a bottle, add some drops of the ZFX from the little blue bottle, shake to mix then apply as usual. You can put many layers on as it'll cure a heck of a lot faster. I found it works ok, but its a bit fussy.

I put a coat of Z2 on, then go and do the interior of the car, then put another coat on the next day  :happy2:

I also take my wheels off and coat them in Z2 inside and out, makes a huge difference when you go to clean them.

The next time you wash the car, you should find its a lot easier to get it clean. :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2009, 09:28:02 am »

Cheers, Stuart :drinking:

It'll take a couple of days for CleanYourCar to get some accelerator to me though - I should have ordered some with the Z2.

Another question - If I apply the second coat of Z2 late afternoon (~22 hrs after first coat of yesterday), will it matter if I use the car tonight and it rains while I'm out?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 09:31:40 am by RedRobin »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2009, 10:06:23 am »
I did get onto the ZFX when we were talking robin. I didnt want to confuse things even more! with you saying you didnt want to spend much time on it, i assumed you wouldn't be putting a multitude of coats on?

is someone coming round to the detailing way? :)  :star:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 10:09:21 am »
Im still in total shock seeing Redrobin in a Detailing thread!!!!.

Looks like we are all moving out of our comfort zones lately :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2009, 11:07:37 am »
^^^^

@ Jay:
Yes, you know me well! I could easily get confused by lots of product numbers etc. I think that just the 2 coats will be fine.

So, will it matter about going out tonight soon after a 2nd coat, please? If so, I'll leave the 2nd coat until tomorrow.

@ Phil:
Anyone would think I never ever cleaned my car! It's not that bad! (is it?). I don't plan on doing this more than twice a year. There's still some grime in a few crevices but all in good practical time. It'll never compete with your shinyness.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 11:14:46 am »
i would always like to leave a coat at least 3-4 hours before touching or, or anything else touching it. but that's just me being a perfectionist. I can appreciate this isn't always practical.

I normally have 3-4 hours work left still to do on a car, after the last coat has gone on