Make a donation

Author Topic: Cam timing chain  (Read 4488 times)

Offline Bradruss

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Cam timing chain
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 07:53:57 am »
I've recently had a full service and now I have the loud diesel ticking noise form the left side (whilst looking at the engine) only when its warm. Its really noticeable from inside the car and I hate it.

The stealers had it in and could not explain it, so I thinking of taking it to an indy and mentioning the cam chain perhaps.

When I mentioned it to the stealers they didn't know what I was talking about  :rolleye:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 12:30:01 pm »
I've recently had a full service and now I have the loud diesel ticking noise form the left side (whilst looking at the engine) only when its warm. Its really noticeable from inside the car and I hate it.

The stealers had it in and could not explain it, so I thinking of taking it to an indy and mentioning the cam chain perhaps.

When I mentioned it to the stealers they didn't know what I was talking about  :rolleye:
............sounds like the problem i had & it was the chain/tensioner that needed replacing. 05 Reg &  AXX engine code by any chance?.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 02:55:16 pm »
I have had the same noise from when I got the car. It has been getting louder recently.
I did an' inlet valve clean up' this morning -(post on this to follow) - and then an Italian tune up to clear the system. Couple of red lines and some revs up the A3. I normally drive pretty gently.
One of the first things I noticed when I got back, less noise from that area ...... Can't really explain it other than my brief session of spirited driving 'freed' something up?

Offline Bradruss

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 10:11:53 pm »

[/quote]............sounds like the problem i had & it was the chain/tensioner that needed replacing. 05 Reg &  AXX engine code by any chance?.
[/quote]

Yep 05 AXX

So what sort of cost am I looking at?

Offline gjseb16

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 10:28:01 pm »
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65929.0.html

take a look here  mate just had mine done

it will be the adjuster that is at fault
you will be looking for the 500 to 600 pound in parts and 3 to 4 hours labour but make sure where you take it to they have the cam pulley holder tool as if they havent labout charges go through the roof mate my total bill was 1500 quid but had a new cam and also dsg service on the box

Offline Bradruss

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 11:10:43 am »
Thanks for the link

Question is will it cause a problem to not do it? Apart from sounding pants on tick over it drives fantastic

Offline gjseb16

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 11:17:52 am »
hi mate

if the part does fail completely it will most likely take engine with it mate but I have spoken to a few people thatsay there's has been doing it for thousands off miles mate it mainly the noise off having a whisper quite gti sounding like a dirty derv mate