Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG problem when in lots of stop start traffic  (Read 2990 times)

Offline fliprio

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
DSG problem when in lots of stop start traffic
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:58:41 pm »
Hi all, I’m having a few issues with my DSG gearbox on my 06 plate GTi

After a fair amount (~30 mins) of stop start traffic 1st/2nd gear crawling along, it starts to shift down into 1st with quite a thud, and then when pulling away it doesn’t creep forward and you need to give it more throttle to pull away. 

Last year it had this problem, but a bit more extreme where it would bang into 1st and reverse.  I hadn’t had it long and VW replaced the clutch pack under warranty.  This seemed to solve the issue, although the shift into 1st after lots of stop start traffic was not smooth.

Now it seems the problem is starting to come back, the clutch pack has only done 10k miles, so I’m sure it can’t be that, but it seems to be losing the ability to get the clutch biting point correct when it’s got warm.  I’m sure that the fact it tries to get into 2nd gear when crawling in traffic and slip second doesn’t help it.

The car is still under warranty (not with VW) but unless there is a fault code, I’m sure the warranty company will argue its fine.

Any ideas on what this could be?  Problem with the oil cooling of the box?

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Saintsteve

Re: DSG problem when in lots of stop start traffic
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:54:43 pm »
Sounds like a failing Mechantronics.

I would find someone with VCDS and do a basis settings to the DSG gearbox 1st.If that doesn't cure it, then seek a warranty claim if you have any, or take it up with a dealer and see if you can agree a deal with them to repair as these units are not cheap  :sad1:

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:45:49 pm »
See if you can get a passenger to video it when it happens ?

Offline fliprio

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:33:27 pm »
Sounds like a failing Mechantronics.

I would find someone with VCDS and do a basis settings to the DSG gearbox 1st.If that doesn't cure it, then seek a warranty claim if you have any, or take it up with a dealer and see if you can agree a deal with them to repair as these units are not cheap  :sad1:

Its quite infrequent, just when I get stuck in traffic for a long time after its been on a good run.  A VW dealer did a full diagnostics on it a few months back as it does this strange thing where you slow to go over a mini round about and it slips second quite a bit as you pull away - I was asking if this was normal and they did a full diagnostics and said everything with the mechatronics unit was 'within limits'

Not sure how I would find out if anyone has VCDS in my area?

Its under warranty for another year through a nissan main dealer (strange I know)

Offline fliprio

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 09:34:04 pm »
See if you can get a passenger to video it when it happens ?

I tried this last time and it was very difficult to tell

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 11:07:24 pm »

Just have a check in here, http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,120.msg1061.html#msg1061

Also state your location as not everyone with a cable has registered on that list.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline fliprio

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 12:07:53 am »

Just have a check in here, http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,120.msg1061.html#msg1061

Also state your location as not everyone with a cable has registered on that list.

Thanks, im in Sandhurst Berkshire

Saintsteve

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 06:26:08 am »

Thanks, im in Sandhurst Berkshire

Hedge is on your doorstep.  :happy2:

Offline fliprio

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 09:37:09 pm »
Well, after a DSG reset, which made a small amount of difference, VW have diagnosed it as a Mechatronics fault......and a 2nd gear bearing whine, so the warranty company has just authorised a whole new gearbox fitted by VW!

Does anyone know if new gearboxes from VW come with new clutch packs as well?  obviously its got a new mechatronics etc.