Make a donation

Author Topic: Headlamp beam deflector advice  (Read 9345 times)

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 17
Headlamp beam deflector advice
« on: May 20, 2013, 08:05:54 am »
I'll be taking my GTI abroad later this summer and I'll need some headlamp deflectors.
The last time I put some on my own car, I had glass lenses, so cleaning them off again was not a problem - a scrape with a blade and a wipe with suitable solvent. All clean again.
The GTI of course has plastic lenses and I don't feel inclined to use the same procedure for fear of causing damage.
I've also heard of damage being caused to the plastic lens by heat being reflected back from the beam deflector.

Anyone used them? Got any advice on fitting/cleaning off? Types to use?

I found this link   http://www.europeandrivingkits.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d2_Headlight_Deflectors.html

Thanks

Offline mrbeck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Headlamp beam deflector advice
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:17:53 am »
I go back and forward to Europe several times a year, and have never had an issue with just peeling them off after each use.
2008 VW Golf GT Sport TSI 1.4 (170PS)

OEM + Cruise Control (Retrofit), R36 Omanyt 18" Alloys, R32 Rear Lights, VW Polo Stubby Aerial, VW Front & Rear Mud Guards, Team Heko Wind Deflectors, Dubmeister Pressed Plates, ABT Wolfsburg Plate Surrounds, Autoform Boot Liner.

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 08:45:57 am »
I'm 99% sure if you take the headlight off there's a metal tab you can flick which adjusts them to LHD legit. I think you can do it with them in-situ you just need small hands.

Deflectors are a pain in the bum, depends on the kind you use but I've seen them where without compounding the headlights (basically abraiding off the gunk) it's almost impossible to remove

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:13:10 pm »
I go back and forward to Europe several times a year, and have never had an issue with just peeling them off after each use.
[/quote

Thanks - do you use any particular brand?

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:14:30 pm »
I'm 99% sure if you take the headlight off there's a metal tab you can flick which adjusts them to LHD legit. I think you can do it with them in-situ you just need small hands.

Deflectors are a pain in the bum, depends on the kind you use but I've seen them where without compounding the headlights (basically abraiding off the gunk) it's almost impossible to remove

Thanks I'll have a look. That would make life a lot easier.

Offline Mk5Dom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:25:35 pm »
You could use Volkswagen's headlight covers/protectors. The part number for the Mk5 is ZGB1K0072100 and they come up from time to time on fleabay. If not try the dealership, I think I paid around £40 for the Polo 9n ones last year, shouldn't be too much different in price. They come supplied with vinyl beam deflectors to use when driving abroad.

Probably not to everyone's taste aesthetically, but they do function well for not leaving the adhesive on your headlights. 

Past: MY07/Mk5 Golf Match 1.9 TDI 105PS Manual Steel Grey Metallic
Present: MY13/Mk7 Golf GT 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG Tornado Red, MY14/2K Caddy Startline 1.6 TDI 102PS Manual Candy White

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:40:34 pm »
^

I would do that if you can't change the headlights from the inside.

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 06:45:32 pm »
I used a pair of Halfrauds deflectors when I went to France.

Not too hard to position. To aid removal, put the headlights on for a minute or two. It will warm the adhesive and soften it (a little).
Then just clean the residue with an IPA type cleaner.

I think the tabs are only on HID lights and not the standard Halogen.
The deflectors can only be used on Halogen lights. The HID light output can cause the deflectors to heat up and possibly melt the lenses. This is why washers are fitted to HID lights (The dirt heats up!).

My deflectors are in my sig pic and September of the forum calendar.  :smiley:

2017 Audi S4

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 07:21:53 pm »
Are you sure about that?

Pretty sure washers are fitted to the Xenon headlights because dirt on the lenses is more likely to cause dazzling or blind other road users...
Plus not forgetting that Xenons (@35w of power) run cooler than Halogen bulbs (@55w of power).. If you don't believe me touch a bulb after it's been on  :happy2:

Further to that washers only ever come on when you, y'know, pull the stalk. Absolutely nothing to do with heat at all.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 07:41:27 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 07:26:54 pm »
I have ordinary halogens and have always just used the stick on reflectors. Can usually get them real cheap on amazon. They can be a bit of a faff to get off, but it's not too bad  :happy2:
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:17:29 pm »
Are you sure about that?

Pretty sure washers are fitted to the Xenon headlights because dirt on the lenses is more likely to cause dazzling or blind other road users...
Plus not forgetting that Xenons (@35w of power) run cooler than Halogen bulbs (@55w of power).. If you don't believe me touch a bulb after it's been on  :happy2:

Further to that washers only ever come on when you, y'know, pull the stalk. Absolutely nothing to do with heat at all.

I was going to modify my post to state "also distorted beam patterns" but the forum stopped loading when I hit modify.
I understand that a Xenon bulb only runs at 35W but it is also worth noting that it is a much more narrowly focused beam, so all of the energy is concentrated on a particular spot on the lens opposed to the broad beam pattern of the 55W Halogen.

I am happy to retract my earlier statement if I am wrong. Thought I read it somewhere - possibly the instructions for the beam deflectors i fitted???

VW do say (RE: "Attaching adhesive strips to headlights"): "In vehicles with gas discharge bulbs, the head-light has to be realigned".

2017 Audi S4

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 06:28:13 pm »
Are you sure about that?

I was going to modify my post to state "also distorted beam patterns" but the forum stopped loading when I hit modify.
I understand that a Xenon bulb only runs at 35W but it is also worth noting that it is a much more narrowly focused beam, so all of the energy is concentrated on a particular spot on the lens opposed to the broad beam pattern of the 55W Halogen.

I am happy to retract my earlier statement if I am wrong. Thought I read it somewhere - possibly the instructions for the beam deflectors i fitted???

VW do say (RE: "Attaching adhesive strips to headlights"): "In vehicles with gas discharge bulbs, the head-light has to be realigned".

Pretty sure you are correct mate. I have read more than once that xenons were required to have washers because of the heat they generate.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline Mk5Dom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 08:34:36 pm »
Volkswagen also advise not to use the headlight covers on cars with Xenon headlamps. This must be another factor regarding the heat they produce.
Present: MY13/Mk7 Golf GT 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG Tornado Red, MY14/2K Caddy Startline 1.6 TDI 102PS Manual Candy White

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 08:36:51 pm »
Sorry but to stop false information spreading I must again point out that headlight washers are not there for the purposes of cooling the headlights.

1) They are there for removal of dirt from the headlight to stop/reduce dazzling from built up dirt on the headlights, as stipulated by EU  regulations for the production of new vehicles.
2) They are only operated when you operate the windscreen washers, and even then I think it's only every 2-3 pulls rather than every single time. So unless you drive around while constantly pulling your headlight stalk backwards they are not being "cooled" anyway. You don't need a physics pHD (which I have!! ..not got) to work that out.  :stupid:

From HIDPlanet (who are like the kings when it comes to all things Xenons)

The tungsten filament in a halogen bulb burns at around 2800°C during standard operating conditions.

The arc in an HID bulb burns between 2000-3000°C depending on the manufacturer and generation of bulb.

That is the actual BURNING temperature of the core part of the bulb that burns to produce light

Further to that:

3) I had Xenons in Hella Celis projector headlights for 18 months, I didn't have washers, and never once did I burn or melt my headlights in any way..

I'm sure the places you read that Factory Xenons came with washers was to cool the headlight, are the same places than says diesels with a decat will fail the MOT on emissions!  :grin: :grin:

The reason that VW likely do not advise using headlight covers for Xenon lights is because of the fact that the beam pattern would not be correct.
Also that they have the tab on the inside of the headlights to change them...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:41:08 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline Mk5Dom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 08:40:04 pm »
Sorry Jay. Only going on what I've read elsewhere. Must be duff info, glad you cleared it up.
 :happy2: