Make a donation

Author Topic: Had my Pearl Black ED30 Detailed!!  (Read 7851 times)

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
Had my Pearl Black ED30 Detailed!!
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:54:40 am »
Hi Folks,

A fellow member on detailing world gave the ED30 a correctional detail over the weekend.
Ive copied the thread from detailing world: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=307460

Hi fellow OCD’ers.

This detail was very special to me as I was contacted by a member on here that had seen some photos of a previous VW Edition30 that I had detailed for a close family friend. I have always detailed friend’s cars and then showcased them on here as we all do. However this one felt extra special to me as I am not a professional in any way it’s simply a hobby, so for someone to ask me, I felt quite privileged.

The detail all in all took me three days (due to the beautiful Manchester weather) but time wise I would say it took 30 hours plus!!
Talking to the owner he had told me exactly what he wanted, which was a full correction to remove the hideous swirl marks that he had always tried to fill in with polish.

The process taken;

On arrival on my drive,

Snowfoam (chemical guys ‘no touch’) and go around door shuts / badges / wheels with detailing brushes and some autosmart TFR and some weak G101.

Wash zymol autowash with a meguiars microfiber mitt.

Decontaminate the car autosmart tardis / IronX  and then power wash it off.

Clay the full car bilt hamber medium using water as lube. Picture is from the roof.

Re-wash.

Then onto the polishing stage.

Using my EP800 rotary I did a test panel and settled for a yellow 3M polishing pad and swapped between using scholl S3 gold and extrafine 3M yellow compound. After every panel I would give it a wipe over with some car pro eraser to ensure I was achieving good correction results.

Test panel cut but prior refining,

As always I started on the roof, then onto the bonnet and then around the rest of the car. On the first day I had done all the cutting (11hours) left the refining for the next day. The bonnet proved to be very hard paint and took quite a few passes to obtain good correction.

Next day was poor weather so it was literally do a bit, start raining and come in….break in the clouds and do a bit more!! I managed to get the bulk of the car refined using 3M blue finishing pad and 3M ultrafina blue top polish.

Flake POP!!

Spotty socks!!

My final day meant I had to finish a little refining off. I then gave the car a through spraying over with car pro eraser. It was then coated in meguiars #7 show glaze as I really really love the look it gives on any car - super duper wet! And then the owner was given a choice of a few waxes / sealants and he wanted me to apply finishkare 1000p.

The car was then snowfaomed, power washed off and then a final layer of 1000p applied.

I then went around the whole car dressing the tyres (autosmart tyre and rubber dressing, unsure of name a friend gave me a bottle), dressing the rubbers, shining the badges and exhaust (meguiars metal polish).

I can certainly say I am more than happy with the results and was just disappointed there was no sunshine out for my final pictures!!

Hope you all like and I’ve not bored you too much!  Any comments or suggestions always welcomed!

Elliott.

PS sorry for the amount of pictures just extremly happy with the results of this one!! Lot of hard work / sore

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Had my Pearl Black ED30 Detailed!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:04:47 pm »
Your car has come up excellent  Rich :notworthy:getting mine done this week as well as the alloys refurbed

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:34:48 pm »
WOW!!  :congrats:

Cracking effort there, bet your well chuffed.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 03:24:09 pm »
Brilliant result there mate :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline ripmateyy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 03:59:28 pm »
Looks great man!! I need mine done so bad haha

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 07:41:10 pm »
Good effort fella, car looks ace  :happy2:
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline gjseb16

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 08:38:37 pm »
looks superb mate wish there was some sort of course about machine polishing like this really do  :congrats:

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 09:46:01 pm »
looks superb mate wish there was some sort of course about machine polishing like this really do  :congrats:

The first thing i would advise is joining the detailing world forum- lots of pro and enthusiast detailers on there to offer advice. Also plenty of info and how-to's.

If you live near the Midlands, take a look at the Autobrite section on Detailing World. They run monthly "back to basics" detailing days, teaching the basics of detailing all the way to introduction of machine polishing. the whole day costs £50. Sounds like an ideal course for you  :happy2:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=306717

Hope this helps

Rich

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 11:47:24 pm »

The first thing i would advise is joining the detailing world forum- lots of pro and enthusiast detailers on there to offer advice. Also plenty of info and how-to's.

If you live near the Midlands, take a look at the Autobrite section on Detailing World. They run monthly "back to basics" detailing days, teaching the basics of detailing all the way to introduction of machine polishing. the whole day costs £50. Sounds like an ideal course for you  :happy2:

Hope this helps

Rich

That course sounds great. If only there was a similar one further south closer to me :sad1:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:40:16 am »

Hope this helps

Rich

That course sounds great. If only there was a similar one further south closer to me :sad1:

If you join the DW forum and have a look at some of the various traders / forum sponsors, im pretty certain there will be a company near you that does similar courses..

Rich

Offline gjseb16

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 07:32:27 pm »
thats course sounds very good oncce again i am like 150 mile from west midlands why do i have to live in the sticks  :laugh:

Offline Tr0nic

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 09:46:58 pm »
Amazing shine ! :drool:
Milltek Catback Non Resonated - K&N panel filter with Carbonspeed, NQSBBK front, Caddy rears, CF engine cover, Bilstein B8 with Eibach Prokit, DS2500 all around

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 10:11:51 pm »
hmm very much doubt it needed fast cut plus!? FCP is very strong and leaves lots of buffer trails. The 3m polishes are also heavy with filling oils so keep an eye that after a few washes you dont actually have buffer trails. Ultrafina is that not strong enough to remove the marks. The yellow top is also heavy in filling oils and will hide lots of marks.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
Re: Re: Had my Pearl Black ED30 Detailed!!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 11:58:01 pm »
Looks great mate. Black pearl looks awesome after a good detail 8)

Offline darren4

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 09:19:01 pm »
Very nice mate, does the pearl show up as gold on this colour?