Make a donation

Author Topic: Comfort + coilovers ... possible?  (Read 6057 times)

Offline RedED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Comfort + coilovers ... possible?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 01:52:54 pm »
I have KW V2's on what i would call an intermediate setting with 18" 45 and 40 profile tyres.

Your welcome to visit me for a ride to see if you like them, the roads round here are awful at best so you will get a decent review at least.

Revo Stage2 - With Linear Throttle
Revo DSG
BCS Turboback Powervalve - This is a must.
ITG Closed Intake.. wooosh

Here to enjoy and help, with a hint of sarcasm, please do not be offended

Offline wattso

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 10:53:09 pm »
Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice, opinions and to Red for offering a ride.

I was really nervous about ruining my precious ride comfort with coilies but this thread convinced me to take the plunge!

I went for a second hand set of the H&R ultralows (although I'm not 100% sure they are the ultra low version or the normal ones due to a discrepancy in the advert...) Either way I'm happy for the price I paid ( £400 )

I've had them fitted and I'm amazed at the ride, I would definitely say the comfort is an unnoticeable difference to stock. And the looks!!!  :drool: It looks awesome lowered.

I've not really had chance to test the increased handling capabilities yet, and in truth I'm a little fearful to on account of rubbing during turns if the road surface isn't perfect. Obviously I could bring the car up a bit but I wouldn't say it's ridiculously low. Is it just part and parcel of coilover ownership, will it wear the required bits in the first 100 miles and then not do it again? Or shall I just bring it up?

Also speedbumps are no longer my friend ( not that they ever were! ) I scrape my miltek back box on every speedbump that isn't approached at crawling speed, but the miltek back box does hang very low anyways.

Pics to follow :D

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 11:29:00 pm »
Sounds like you got a decent brand and set for a good price in truth.

I was just going to mention (before I'd noticed you'd bought some) I run AP coilovers (on my A3 Black Edition) which I think are one of the most durable and practical coilovers you can get for around town. Over speedbumps (I hit around 40 of them a day  :fighting: :fighting:) they're no harder or more uncomfortable than the standard springs I had for most stuff, pot holes and bad roads included.

I think your H&R's should be fine though. If I was more track focused, I'd have got some of those too I'm sure  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 11:41:32 pm »
I was just going to mention (before I'd noticed you'd bought some) I run AP coilovers (on my A3 Black Edition) which I think are one of the most durable and practical coilovers you can get for around town. Over speedbumps (I hit around 40 of them a day  :fighting: :fighting:) they're no harder or more uncomfortable than the standard springs I had for most stuff, pot holes and bad roads included.

I had APs on my Octavia.  loved them in Germany on high quality roads.  When i moved back to the UK in Medway i reverted to stock suspension because they were simply terrible on rough roads.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 11:49:14 pm »
Blimey Sy, they must be bad roads. They'll do well to par or better around here for sh*t quality but the AP's don't feel bad at all even over the worst of crumbled and cracked speedbumps that you can't straddle  :fighting: You could drive over one at 30mph though and through two pretty deep potholes after and it's no more back breaking than on the S-Line OEM springs in truth. I did do some comparisons  :evilgrin:

Medway - that's Kent I assume?
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline rob_e

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2012 vRS Octavia
    • vRS blog on Pistonheads
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2013, 12:23:24 pm »
Good to hear you're happy.

I've just swapped my bilsteins for H&R and i'm very happy with the ride.
2012 TSI vRS: H&R monotubes, S3 arms, H&R rARB, Neuspeed RSe07, Brembos, MFSW and a few other tweaks..  PH Blog:  http://www.pistonheads.com/members/showcar.asp?carId=191311

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 11:10:40 pm »
KW Clubsports.....supremely comfortable and superb for track....the best out there IMO.

Will be going for these again soon with my new purchase!!
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 11:19:37 pm »
Funny no-one said anything about JOMs..

Had them for 14 months and perfectly comfortable, disabled mother loved them and the guy who bought my car said "it's way more comfortable than i thought actually it rides really well!"

Offline Jabarton99

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2013, 10:58:22 pm »
KW actually make AP's and Weitec just cheaper brands to compete in the market. If you want to keep it as it is but drop low you need KW v3 as you can goe really soft but get your cheque book out  :signLOL:
R32 Recaro bucket seats (individual colour), Golf R MFSW with cream stitching, Cream stitched gear gaitor to match, RNS510, highline cluster, Ko4 turbo, Forge twintercooler, Forge oil catch can & washer bottle, Autotech fuel pump, Neuspeed power pully, S3 injectors, ITG maxogen intake, Red top coil packs, Milltek Full 3" exhaust straight through. AP Coilovers, H & R Anti roll bars, Tarox 10pot calipers front & S3 rear calipers rear.