Make a donation

Author Topic: Lower half of the rear bumper  (Read 679 times)

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
Lower half of the rear bumper
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:09:03 am »
Right, basically I have to take my car back into the bodyshop to get the lower half of the rear bumper, the skirts, the front splitter and the wing mirror cases repainted as he did them the wrong colour.

He told me he wasn't taking them off to repaint them, and with this, I am not happy. I already have the front splitter off, I don't think I will be able take the skirts off as the last time he bonded them to the car.

Anyway my question is this; can I drive the 25 miles to the bodyshop without the lower part of the rear bumper on the car without it being a problem?

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: Lower half of the rear bumper
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 11:36:57 am »
Hope gets sorted this time for you mate.

Sure legally not ideal, but plate can still be fixed back on once lower half removed.

I got stopped by the police once in an old car of mine when I was picking my front bumper up from the bodyshop, once I explained he was ok with it.

His he spraying the skirt on the car? Once you take them off are they hard to get back on? Looking to get my plastics colour coded too.

Si

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
Re: Lower half of the rear bumper
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:15:28 pm »
Hope gets sorted this time for you mate.

Sure legally not ideal, but plate can still be fixed back on once lower half removed.

I got stopped by the police once in an old car of mine when I was picking my front bumper up from the bodyshop, once I explained he was ok with it.

His he spraying the skirt on the car? Once you take them off are they hard to get back on? Looking to get my plastics colour coded too.

Si

Awesome thanks, I wasn't entirely sure on it. Yeah I hope so too.

He is spraying the skirts on the car. I'm not overly happy with it, but it creates so much extra work.

Basically, they're really easy to get off if they've not been off before. Two bolts at either end of them (T20 I believe), there may be some underneath, I can't remember (sorry). They are also stuck on with a bonding agent. You'll need a thin blade (I use a scalpel) and a little heat.

I started at the rear end of the car and heated the skirt enough for it to pull away slightly. Stuck the blade in and cut the bonding whilst pulling on the skirt gently. Once all the bonding is cut (dont cut the paint), you need to unfasten it from the runners. I just pulled out gently and it snapped out. Then take the runners off by sliding them.

This does leave some bonding on the car, which I didn't remove as that is how I gave it to the bodyshop.

Putting them back on. Re-attach the runners, apply bonding to the skirts and then clip them back on. Bolts back in and tape them to the car. The body shop did this for me.

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red