Make a donation

Author Topic: Twitching GT 170... still!  (Read 872 times)

Offline lippyx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 1
  • Coz white IS the best colour!
Twitching GT 170... still!
« on: May 26, 2013, 07:34:12 am »
So got the Golf back yesterday after the VW garage had it for a week to test drive it and to source this twitching issue it has. They said they couldn't fault the car and it drove fine when they had it.
I kept telling them its not the driving, its the idling that's the issue so driving it about would be ok! They said a seal had gone on an inlet pipe which they replaced and said that could have been a cause. Drove it away and within a few hours it was twitching again! I cannot see how it was twitching everyday without fail before I gave it to VW, they didn't experience the whole time they had it, I get it back, and now its doing it again!

I am so done with this car! I paid a lot of money for it, and I have had enough! I suggested the dual mass flywheel, as have read the symptoms I am experiencing are identical to a DMF on its way out, but got told it wasn't that... I'd like to know how they can be so sure without looking! DPF problems keep being suggested, but again, no one wants to actually take a look. It all seems like guess work and "computer says no" to me! They must of had other cars with the same problem coming in, if you do a search, loads of people seem to have experienced it!

Sorry to go on, but I don't know what to do. Carry on investigating or just give up and either put up with it or chop the car in!

2013 Golf R

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Re: Twitching GT 170... still!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 09:41:53 am »
Idle control valve?
Did they give you a print out of the VAS scan?
DMF is a big job, they don't want to look and not replace.

Offline lippyx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:24:05 am »
But if it was the idle control valve, surely when it twitches the rev counter would fluctuate? The needle doesn't move, yet the tone of the engine does change!

2013 Golf R

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:44:33 pm »
But if it was the idle control valve, surely when it twitches the rev counter would fluctuate? The needle doesn't move, yet the tone of the engine does change!

Mines the tfsi and does this, when I log with vcds the uneven noise is in time with a misfire counter in vcds. Only just knowing enough about the tfsi to get by I'm not sure if this could be the same on a diesel.

Where are you? Maybe someone close could log for you.

Offline Marshall

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:05:40 pm »
Usually when a flywheel is failing on a diesel its very common to get a vibration at idle not all the time but quite frequent.
It's not a misfire and the rev cou ter doesn't fluctuate but if your sitting in the drivers seat you feel it. It's like a stutter and then smooth again.
Have you tried driving on an incline in a high gear like 60mph in 6th and accelerate hard to see if you get any vibration?
Another tell tale sign.
MISANO RED RS3

Offline lippyx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:53:21 pm »
Usually when a flywheel is failing on a diesel its very common to get a vibration at idle not all the time but quite frequent.
It's not a misfire and the rev cou ter doesn't fluctuate but if your sitting in the drivers seat you feel it. It's like a stutter and then smooth again.
Have you tried driving on an incline in a high gear like 60mph in 6th and accelerate hard to see if you get any vibration?
Another tell tale sign. :jumping: :jumping:

Yes that's right. The engine tone is different and suddenly it will change and it stops twitching. Sometimes it twitches so much everyone in the car can feel it. When I suggested the DMF to VW they told me its not that as it would do it all the time.

2013 Golf R