Make a donation

Author Topic: Fitting a GTI bumper to standard mk5 (hacksaw method) **update — bumper fitted!  (Read 11237 times)

Offline petemcd

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Basically there is only a small amount of material on a GTI bumper that fouls the front member of a standard mk5, which prevents it sliding straight on. It can quite easily be removed to fit which saves changing the front slam panel. But the towing eye access on the GTI bumper is in a slightly different place which would require changing the front member.

There's a thread explaining how to fit the GTI bumper without changing the front panel or members http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/405458.aspx

So I'm wondering if anyone done this and can they advise if the towing eye is still useable?

I don't mind modifying the bumper a bit to make it fit, but I'm concerned about towing eye access. How bad is it? In 12 years driving I've never had to be towed, but sod's law and all that...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:00:30 pm by petemcd »

Offline skard

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
Re: Fitting a genuine GTI bumper to standard mk5 (hacksaw method)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:28:01 pm »
Yes I did it and had full access to the towing eye.
Just shave off little bits at a time.

I had a November 2005 2.0 TDI so unsure if the carrier frame ever changed, but it was no issue for me.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline skard

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:42:11 pm »
By the way if you get an Xparts or Vagen replica it's basically got this upper chunk cut out, no difference with lower toweye access.

I had an Xparts first, hold out for genuine is my advice.

Offline petemcd

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 01:21:11 pm »
Nice one, that's exactly the information I was looking for. I've been really tempted by the xparts ones, but deep down I know I really want a genuine one. So it's great to hear from someone that has already been there. Just gotta keep my eyes peeled for a mint bumper and grills. Thanks  :happy2:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 02:19:17 pm »
I've done it as well... The Xparts one never look right, the grill surrounds don't go up high enough, plus by buying a non-oem one (EG Xparts) you can't change the valance as they are one-piece... I paid £50 for my bare genuine Jetta bumper, by the time I sourced genuine grills and had it painted, it came to just over £300.. so not really any cost benefit in buying an Xparts one at £160 or so and having that sprayed..  :stupid:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:24:57 pm by xjay1337 »

Offline petemcd

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:58:41 pm »
Hey guys, just to update you on this. In the end I held out for a genuine GT sport bumper and I'm really glad I did  :happy2:

I started to pick up the pieces individually and I actually paid ali6n2 for a GT centre grill when a complete genuine bumper popped up on ebay with splitter, grills, fogs, and even washer jets! ali6n2 was an absolute gent and offered to refund me the grills since he hadn't shipped them yet. Thanks mate!

It wasn't cheap, but it was genuine, and it's rare that a complete bumper in undamaged condition comes up for sale so I jumped on it. So the bumper arrived in the post last week. It was wrapped in the thinnest bubble wrap you've ever seen and I really didn't have much faith that it would be undamaged. But it was absolutely fine. Phew!

I dropped it off to an paint shop that was recommended by Volkswagen and picked it up this evening. They charged a little extra (€50) to have the bumper trimmed to fit, but it's perfect so I really don't mind. Here it is!

Before:

After:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
Result! Looks really smart  :happy2:

Offline petemcd

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
Cheers! It really brings the car up to date. It's just a pity the plates in Ireland let everyone know it's an 04!

Offline skard

• Thank You
Cheers! It really brings the car up to date. It's just a pity the plates in Ireland let everyone know it's an 04!

Wouldn't worry about that, when the lad bought my old car he thought it was a private plate as the car was completely facelifted!

Best exterior mod to a Golf with the standard bumper, no doubt. Glad you held out for genuine and not a replica or Jetta one.

How's the headlamp washers held in?

Offline petemcd

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You

Wouldn't worry about that, when the lad bought my old car he thought it was a private plate as the car was completely facelifted!

Best exterior mod to a Golf with the standard bumper, no doubt. Glad you held out for genuine and not a replica or Jetta one.

How's the headlamp washers held in?

Ah that's great. I really wanted to get a GT, but found this for half the price with 40k on it so it was a no brainer.

The washers aren't working as my car didn't have them to begin with. They came with the bumper, so I left them there. I might connect them up and get a washer tank, but I'm not too bothered.

Offline skard

• Thank You
I actually put the washer kit in, nice toy but a bit of sourcing parts is required! Just wondering how they secured the mouldings in without the jet, that's all.

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
How about putting on an r32 bumper?

Is it same procedure?

Sent From My Samsung S3

Offline petemcd

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You

Is it same procedure?

Sent From My Samsung S3

I'm not sure to be honest. But I know plenty of people have done it.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You

Is it same procedure?

Sent From My Samsung S3

Never done it but roughly the same in terms of...line up, see where it needs trimming, cut.