Make a donation

Author Topic: Custom "retard" mapping?  (Read 12043 times)

Offline Markyed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: Custom "retard" mapping?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 10:21:33 pm »
sh*t tune like iv said 20 times cars made expected figures someone from this forum was there ill post 2nd rr results up hopefully there 270 bho like use would expect  :popcornsoda:

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2013, 09:12:39 pm »
sh*t tune like iv said 20 times cars made expected figures someone from this forum was there ill post 2nd rr results up hopefully there 270 bho like use would expect  :popcornsoda:

I'm sorry, but I'm English.  Can anyone translate?

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 05:38:53 pm »
sh*t tune like iv said 20 times cars made expected figures someone from this forum was there ill post 2nd rr results up hopefully there 270 bho like use would expect  :popcornsoda:

You will learn several things on this forum:

1) dynodynamics dyno's are the only figures that people will take as remotely accurate (JKM's being the MOST).
2) dyno figures should always be taken with a pinch of salt
3) Hedge will inevitably post a picture of a sad cat.  :grin:

Have you seen Saint Steves review of superchips vs R-Tech? The superchips map was asking a ridiculous amount from the turbo and inevitably putting the hardware under undue stress  :surprised:

He got a smoother map with a lot less asked of the hardware.

See here, enough to put me off Superchips: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65077.0.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 05:46:23 pm by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 12:45:41 pm »
sh*t tune like iv said 20 times cars made expected figures someone from this forum was there ill post 2nd rr results up hopefully there 270 bho like use would expect  :popcornsoda:

You will learn several things on this forum:

1) dynodynamics dyno's are the only figures that people will take as remotely accurate (JKM's being the MOST).
2) dyno figures should always be taken with a pinch of salt
3) Hedge will inevitably post a picture of a sad cat.  :grin:

Have you seen Saint Steves review of superchips vs R-Tech? The superchips map was asking a ridiculous amount from the turbo and inevitably putting the hardware under undue stress  :surprised:

He got a smoother map with a lot less asked of the hardware.

See here, enough to put me off Superchips: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65077.0.html

However before said R-Tech magic dust was applied, Supperchips was the best thing since sliced bread!! :grin: :evilgrin:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 02:49:49 pm »
Anyone who knows cars wouldn't touch a Superchips or any other flash map with a bargepole!  :evilgrin:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=n65b17qrnnhfcoe5ieielmu4hf&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 05:19:47 pm »
Anyone who knows cars wouldn't touch a Superchips or any other flash map with a bargepole!  :evilgrin:

Revo is a flash map or sorts

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 04:08:03 pm »

Wigit, Hedge and the other Revo fanboy's won't like that  :wink:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 12:17:49 pm »

Wigit, Hedge and the other Revo fanboy's won't like that  :wink:

Knowing both Ian & Andy I can safely say they are no fanboys! Do you class anyone with Revo as a fanboy?

I tried Revo on my last vRS, had an issue with them which wasn't resolved to my satisfaction. So I went with APR when I got my new vRS. Had an issue with their map which again wasn't resolved to my satisfaction so I'm now back with Revo. So does that make me a fanboy?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 12:42:46 pm »
So does that make me a fanboy?
:grin: :grin:
- REVO - REVO - REVO - REVO
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:53:21 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 12:46:32 pm »
Anyone who knows cars wouldn't touch a Superchips or any other flash map with a bargepole!  :evilgrin:

Wigit, Hedge and the other Revo fanboy's won't like that  :wink:

Revo fanboy.  :signLOL:

Only a fanboy if buying the right product for my car makes me one. Anyway I don't actually remember spamming anyones "Which remap" thread with pro anyones product bullsh*t.

Oh and not to disappoint.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 01:02:29 pm »
Anyone who knows cars wouldn't touch a Superchips or any other flash map with a bargepole!  :evilgrin:

On another hand.  How many cars do you think the likes of REVO or APR (who are basically flash maps as graymk5GTI said above) have installed for the 2.0TFSI worldwide?  HOw much R&D do you think REVO and APR have put in worldwide in countries with different fuel grades, altitudes, climatic conditions etc, how much more likely are the likes of REVO and APR to experience tuning issues (considering the sheer volume of maps they sell worldwide) as such have experience and undertstanding of the solutions, how many years have REVO and APR been mapping the 2.0TFSI? HOw many cars have REVO & APR tuned successfully for use in the many racing series available as a result of all that, how much extra do you think they understand the 2.0TFSI and ECU etc.

Then compare it to a small garage, such as R-TECH and many other small tuners, and ask the same questions as above?  I remember reading the other day in a post on here, that R-TECH said they cant wait to finally tune a big turbo setup on a 2.0TFSI!!  

Just because its a flash map, albeit an adjustable flash map,it doesnt mean that there hasnt been hundreds of hours, 1000s of miles of R&D.  I for one like what R-TECH is doing at the moment, but is it much better than an APR or REVO map....probably not.  six and two threes comes to mind.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 04:58:29 pm »
But it is better than a Revo map...
R-tech are hardly an emerging brand in the UK, they are very well known within the VAG community. Just as much so as Revo, to the "enthusiasts" at least.

Size of brand or number of people who use a certain product is not an indication of their quality.
Rtech don't advertise much, if at all.  I've never actually seen an advert for R-tech on a website. But you see loads for Revo/AmD/APR.

Nick at Rtech is very very very knowledgeable. Not saying that the chief mappers at Revo aren't but you don't get them mapping your car, you get a map they wrote on ANOTHER car put onto yours, which may be slightly different.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 05:12:02 pm »

On what basis though? You must have first hand experience of having both?

R-tech are hardly an emerging brand in the UK, they are very well known within the VAG community. Just as much so as Revo, to the "enthusiasts" at least.

They might well be well known in the VAG scene but that is predominantly with the 1.8T which is vastly different to the 2.0TFSI and they are new with the 2.0TFSI in comparison.  Hence all this very recent R&D done on James K04 and posting about how they cant wait to start working on a BT 2.0TFSI setup.   I asked about getting my twincharger mapped there and they werent interested in developing software for a couple more years. So, say they decide next month that they are going to start 1.4TSI R&D, does the fact that they are well renowned in the VAG scene make up for the 3-4 years of extra R&D and tuning experience these "flash tuners" have on the 1.4TSI....no it doesnt.

Nick at Rtech is very very very knowledgeable. Not saying that the chief mappers at Revo aren't but you don't get them mapping your car, you get a map they wrote on ANOTHER car put onto yours, which may be slightly different.

That he might be, but also bear in mind, he doesn't write software from the ground up on every custom map he does as he himself has even pointed this out in several posts on here.  He has developed a solid base map(developed on ANOTHER car) which he will upload and then customize from there.  This is no different really to a REVO maps being applied to the car and the likes of JKM, PDT etc then adjusting the settings and logs to suit the car and mods.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 07:39:54 pm »

On what basis though? You must have first hand experience of having both?

They might well be well known in the VAG scene but that is predominantly with the 1.8T which is vastly different to the 2.0TFSI and they are new with the 2.0TFSI in comparison.  Hence all this very recent R&D done on James K04 and posting about how they cant wait to start working on a BT 2.0TFSI setup.   I asked about getting my twincharger mapped there and they werent interested in developing software for a couple more years. So, say they decide next month that they are going to start 1.4TSI R&D, does the fact that they are well renowned in the VAG scene make up for the 3-4 years of extra R&D and tuning experience thes e "flash tuners" have on the 1.4TSI....no it doesnt.

That he might be, but also bear in mind, he doesn't write software from the ground up on every custom map he does as he himself has even pointed this out in several posts on here.  He has developed a solid base map(developed on ANOTHER car) which he will upload and then customize from there.  This is no different really to a REVO maps being applied to the car and the likes of JKM, PDT etc then adjusting the settings and logs to suit the car and mods.

Wow this thread took off  :jumping:

The difference between Revo & R-Tech is that with Revo you adjust 3 parameters across the whole rev range nick can fine tune each individual aspect of the map at any given point. For example, if there is a flat spot at 5200rpm (say a fuel cut type thing) nick can alter that specific rev band to correct. With Revo you would have to alter whatever factor (of the 3 you can adjust)that is causing the problem over the whole rev range, which means there is always a compromise. You can't adjust how or where in the rev range the turbo spools etc either. I could go on . . .

Your absolutely right, it's a base map fine tuned to the specific hardware of your car and how you want to drive it. No compromises.

You could take a graph of a Revo car to Nick and ask him to recreate that on your car if you so wanted. . .  :grin:

I'm not trying to spam the thread or sell a product here. I just don't get the impression that people "get" what R-Tech are about  

At the end of the day, you get the same(ish) peak figure from either Revo, APR, R-Tech, PDT etc. How much you want to pay for that increase is up to the individual  :smiley:

I get what you mean about Revo mapping thousands of cars etc but in reality they have "tuned" one car and their dealer network has uploaded that map onto thousands of cars. Not the same as fine tuning lots of cars in front of you, each with individual running issues etc. Nick is always learning new techniques and ways to get more out of VAG engines (TIV mapping for example) so you could say his R&D never stops. . .

Just to be clear I'm not against any of the big brands at all (will be going somewhere different for the Scirocco - wouldn't rule out Revo  :wink:)

I just like the FACTS to be right on here, that's all. Not selling anything or criticising anyone's products  :drinking:

@Hedge - took you long enough to bite  :P

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:43:35 pm by GrayMK5GTI »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 07:49:23 pm »
I think someone is telling porkies here. I do not believe for one minute that R-Tech map EVERY single car differently.  :chicken:

They will do EXACTLY what Revo do. I.E take the car, apply map, drive the car and alter the boost timing and fuelling to suit the car so it's running safe.

I seriously doubt Nick/R-Tech has the time to do what you are saying. Maybe on a select few cars they have sat on a Dyno and done what you say. But I think it would be a handful at most.

What you are saying they are doing would take a couple of days worth of mapping, data logging and fine tuning. From what I gather from people's posts they get the car back after a couple of hours at most. Hardly a "Custom" map. I've still yet to have someone convince me that a car can be set up on the rolling road better than the actual road. If that was the case then no Motorsport team or car manufacturer would do on road testing or drive the ring etc. it would all be done on a Dyno.

Each to there own and all that but I think some common sense needs to be applied.