Make a donation

Author Topic: My new car plans gone out the window!  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Rich

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 8
  • Buy Land, They Don't Make It Anymore
    • Carpet Underlay
    • Email
Re: My new car plans gone out the window!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 06:37:08 pm »
Haven't had the pleasure of driving an S3 so wouldnt know, love the Ed30 though...got the back end stepping out and it coped perfectly  :driver:

The GTi is a fantastic car... it looks fab.. and it performs fab... :love:

Its a car you cannot dislike !!!

Feeling a Pirelli Vs ED30 photo shoot when you get yours Rich?

Collect it Monday  :star:

Will take some shots on Monday night  :happy2:

~ Golf MK5 Pirelli ~ 36k Miles and continuing!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 06:42:02 pm »
On the original topic....

I can see what you mean about the S3 as I've had a drive in a couple of them. As stock they are simply not an exciting drive. I have however been in a tuned S3 last year at Inters with 350bhp and that was quite a lovely car. It had somehow awoken from it's slumber and made alive. It was still well within it's limits of grip which meant it still wasn't as envigorating a drive as an ED30, but it was getting there. JonnyC's car is basically where you need to take the S3 to get real excitement from the chassis. 8)
Golf R gone.

veedub18

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 07:13:29 pm »
I also test drove 2 Audi S3's. One was a demonstrator, brand new, and one was a used pre facelift model. The new one was ok, but lacking something, and I didnt like the steering at all. It was quicker than my GTI but a lot more expensive and missing a "wow factor". It was also manual and it felt a bit like it had clutch grab especially from 1st to 2nd and that made it "clunky" for me to drive.

The used one, pre-facelift, actually drove a lot better and I liked it a lot more, cant really explain why but it just felt better. It changed gear smoother and seemed to pull from lower down the rev range compared to the other one.

I test drove a lot of cars at the time, and was about to give up and stick with the GTI for another year, until I test drove the 135i Coupe...The rest is history as they say! 

I have nothing bad to say about Audi as I have owned 6 of them from new, but the S3, IMO is missing something from its driving experiance. Maybe a lot more fun remapped, but if you want some real fun, its not the one I'd choose.

:happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 07:21:48 pm »
Couldn't agree more about the stock S3 feeling dead..

I know why it is, and I think with the correct mods that for very reasonable money you can sort out the S3 quite easily..

The problem however will always be that there is basically too much grip for the power.. (unless you do something about that)

Its a great car and feels a lot more prestigious than the GTI to be in I think but you pay for that.. The drive standard for standard is no where near as exciting as the GTI but its probably not meant to be..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 07:31:46 pm »
The S3 and r32 are more GT than hot hatch, they are not supposed to be exciting. They have a bit more power purely to make motorway driving more pleasurable.
The GTI is a hothatch and designed to be fun and provide great feel and feedback.

Looks like i will be selling the 32 soon for a house (doesnt make financial sense spending £900 on rent a month and owning an expensive car at 23 lol) Will have to drive a sh*tter for a while and save for my next car. S3 or ED30 are most likely, if i have enough another R32 with a big fat turbo  :signLOL:

Offline Lean

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • DSG +..
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 09:15:38 pm »
The only realistic Audi I would want is the RS4 Estate.. It's is my ideal car after that... it's my GTi so I'm not doing to bad!  :grin:

The RS4 is good, but it is a heavy bugger and naturally aspirated. Some of them have been shown to be waaaaay down on power outputs too. :surprised:

1650kg (and an estate even more) means it only just gets over the 200bhp/ton marker

Edition 30 is around 1370kg and a remap and a HPFP will see it over 315bhp, so around 230bhp/ton :wink:

0-60 is quoted in EVO as 5.1 seconds and I managed that with FWD.

Yes, I know it is like comparing bananas with potatoes, but I'd like to bet that the ED30 feels more alive than the RS4 and would be the more fulfilling drive :notworthy:

tbh for the most part I agree with what your saying..but the feel of an RS4 is just unreal.. it's like the thing is on rails.. I know people can use that term a bit but honestly it really is like it - however that well maybe a point to prove me wrong.. because it's very predictable and vehicles like that can take away the fun & fulfilling part of driving! -  but the RS4 has to be one of the sexiest looking vehicles (imo) ever it's poise cannot be bettered!!  :laugh:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 02:18:20 pm »
Looks like i will be selling the 32 soon for a house (doesnt make financial sense spending £900 on rent a month and owning an expensive car at 23 lol) Will have to drive a sh*tter for a while and save for my next car. S3 or ED30 are most likely, if i have enough another R32 with a big fat turbo  :signLOL:

Thats my thinking aswel, really dont want to be driving some sh*tter though  :sad1:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 02:41:23 pm »

Thats my thinking aswel, really dont want to be driving some sh*tter though  :sad1:

Tell me about it! After my current car though most cars are sh*tters! Been looking at MK4 golf gti's (old man interior), seat leons (made with pritt stick) or maybe an already modded polo and say its the girlfriends car  :signLOL:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 06:31:14 pm »
I was also looking at a Anni MK4 but really dislike the interior especially when im used to the MK5. JCW Cooper S was also on the list aswel as going back to a Astra Sporthatch  :stupid:

Needs to have some respectable power whatever car it is. May go old school...MK1 GTI, Corrado...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 06:33:09 pm by Edition30 »
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 06:56:37 pm »
Mk2 G60 Storm for me :smiley:. A spare few quid and after seeing one recently,they look fab.