Make a donation

Author Topic: What do you lot use on glass?  (Read 4463 times)

veedub18

What do you lot use on glass?
« on: August 09, 2009, 12:29:57 pm »
Ok chaps so I have pretty much refined my detailing technique and products, just one thing I'm not happy with :ashamed:

I have tried a few glass cleaning products, and not been happy with them so far. I have tried AG, Megs NXT Glass Cleaner, Zaino Glass Cleaner (good, but not really a regular product, it seems more like something youd use to remove water marks, also difficult to remove), tried  Windowlene (!) Mr Muscle and a few household products, but nothing that I'm really impressed with.

I'd appreciate any advise on what you guys use, something non-chalky that wont stain any rubbers, and easy on/off with virtually no smearing.

Cheers  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: What do you lot use on glass?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 01:46:44 pm »
TBH I haven't found anything worthwhile.

Tried a few things including AG and Lusso Oro glass cleaner. TBH none of the products seem to be any good.

The only combo that seems to work is to 'soak' the windows in Fast Glass, wipe off, use the glass polish and then finish off with fast glass again. This cleans the glass really well but leaves stains and residues on the plastic/rubber bits. Plus it's very time consuming.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

veedub18

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 02:00:46 pm »
Thats the thing, I dont think there is an awesome glass product out there. Well if there is I certainly havent used it yet  :laugh:

I'll keep looking!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 02:33:29 pm »
Also, make sure you use a proper glass polish towel. The one I use has a rough side for removing stains etc and a smooth side for polishing/finishing off.

veedub18

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 03:15:36 pm »
Yeah, the Costco little yellow mf cloths leave tiny "hairs" all over the windows. I'm going to order some proper glass mf cloths when I find some...
I'll post my findings up on here.

I'm hoping 182_Blue pops in soon and gives his opinion, after all he got me started on Zaino....!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 04:12:48 pm by veedub18 »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 07:38:29 pm »
Hi mate. I use meg's class cleaner, it's from the profession range. It's in 4L containers same as wheelbrightner. So you dilute it as and when. It's a good product and don't have any prblems with streaking or smearing. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the best thing since sliced bread but I don't have any problems with it

Hth

Jay

veedub18

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 07:59:04 pm »
Hi mate. I use meg's class cleaner, it's from the profession range. It's in 4L containers same as wheelbrightner. So you dilute it as and when. It's a good product and don't have any prblems with streaking or smearing. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the best thing since sliced bread but I don't have any problems with it

Hth

Jay

Hi bud.
I was actually looking at this product, as I have most of Megs bulk range apart from this one. Their Hyperwash is really good  :happy2:

Thanks Jay, I'll get some on order then.

Online Golfgirl

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 08:16:03 pm »
I'm obviously not as anal as you lot because I'm happy with Wiondolene and a bit of screwed up newspaper :grin: As long as the window is clean and you can see through it, what's the feckin point in using polish on it?! 

FOR SALE!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 08:46:42 pm »
^^^I use 'polish' to get rid of all marks. I hate marks on my windscreen. Too many and it becomes distracting enough to make me pull over and clean the windscreen.

Offline gillm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 09:19:01 pm »
I'm obviously not as anal as you lot because I'm happy with Wiondolene and a bit of screwed up newspaper :grin: As long as the window is clean and you can see through it, what's the feckin point in using polish on it?! 

lol
west tuned gt28 @ 340hp

veedub18

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 09:48:35 pm »

Golfgirl I'm shocked  :jumping:

Shame at you girl!

Offline TomB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 10:01:58 pm »
The cleanest windows I have seen were done with vinegar and newspaper.

Personally, I use a product called "Pronto" which is in an aerosol can but comes out like Windolene.  I'm a smoker so I have to clean my screen fairly often, and it cuts through the tobacco no problem.  I got a few cans years ago, but I think its from Autosmart.
Tom
05 GTI - 18" Merc wheels, coilovers, colour coded Votex kit, all waiting to go on.

Offline matty_jetta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 12:33:57 pm »
I just have the megs nxt glass cleaner but I use a glass cloth which makes all the difference!

veedub18

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 12:57:45 pm »
I just have the megs nxt glass cleaner but I use a glass cloth which makes all the difference!

Hi Matty.
Which cloth do you use, and where from please bud  :happy2:

Offline matty_jetta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:04 am »
Not exactly sure what cloth it is, picked it up in wallmart in America, you wouldn't believe how cheap they are!

Similar clothes can be purchased from most places, I use Alex at elite car care, think he has some. Also seen them in halfords.

They don't really have fibres on them, leave a very streak free finish!