Make a donation

Author Topic: Anti-Social Motoring Reforms - Your Thoughts?  (Read 7645 times)

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Anti-Social Motoring Reforms - Your Thoughts?
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:51:47 am »
At last, middle lane hoggers on empty motorways will get penalised. However, will this be seen as a license to print money? How will it be policed accurately? Will there always be video proof? If i overtake someone, and a couple of hundred metres ahead, a truck is slow moving and i choose to stay in the middle lane until i overtake the truck, who determines that its ok?

http://news.sky.com/story/1099507/middle-lane-hogs-face-100-on-the-spot-fines

I think its great that bad driving is being looked at, and should be a target for motorway police. As long as there are very clear guidelines. We know how much the law is sometimes open to interpretation by the police.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Anti-Social Motoring Reforms - Your Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:35:12 am »
As with anything the individual will always have the right to question the decision. It will be up to the police to prove it. I would imagine it will need video evidence.

For me it's long overdue.

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:15:45 am »
A massive pet hate of mine, get so frustrated when I have to change from lane 1 to 3 and back because some idiot is in the middle lane doing 50!

Hope the people that do it become aware and change their driving habits rather than the odd person being told off by PC Plod

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:56:45 am »
As with anything the individual will always have the right to question the decision. It will be up to the police to prove it. I would imagine it will need video evidence.

What about Section19, you don't get any say in that and that's been open to abuse for some time.

Middle lane hogging, should be based on time I guess, but I agree very difficult to Police.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:51:31 am »
I don't think you can base it on time.
It would need video evidence as mentioned. I think it's more to stop people endlessly sitting on the middle lane like here.......

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:54 am »
This sounds like it is going to be very difficult to police!

Although I do agree that something needed to be done.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:20:43 am »

What about Section19, you don't get any say in that and that's been open to abuse for some time.

Middle lane hogging, should be based on time I guess, but I agree very difficult to Police.

Section 19 of what act ?

Don't you mean 59 ??
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:22:14 am by garrardrj »
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 12:10:40 pm »
They'll be more threads starting "Caught Middle Lane Hogging"....THATS for sure  :driver:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 12:54:56 pm »
I read it was going to be assessed over 1/2 a mile

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 01:27:30 pm »

Not sure what you are referring to. But you can appeal any decision. Not saying you're going to win, but you can still appeal it.

Offline zabba

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 01:37:30 pm »
It sounds good providing video evidence is there to back up the claim, which shouldn't be a problem in tailgating or middle lane hogging. 

I think part of the problem is that people get no tuition at all on how to drive on motorways, so often people are not aware of the need to pull over when not overtaking.  There should be a compulsory Motorway guidance session after you pass your test.  Doesn't apply to tailgaters though, they are just idiots!

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 01:43:54 pm »
It sounds good providing video evidence is there to back up the claim, which shouldn't be a problem in tailgating or middle lane hogging. 

I think part of the problem is that people get no tuition at all on how to drive on motorways, so often people are not aware of the need to pull over when not overtaking.  There should be a compulsory Motorway guidance session after you pass your test.  Doesn't apply to tailgaters though, they are just idiots!

Very good point :happy2:  I said the same thing in a discussion I was having with a couple of mates getting pissed off about motorway drivers.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 02:02:48 pm »
When I passed (7 years ago now  :laugh: ) I completed pass plus afterwards, gave me motorway driving lessons and it was one of the main things I was taught, if not overtaking stay to the left, only be in lane 2/3 etc for overtaking or going faster than other road users!

Should be made compulsory

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 02:36:46 pm »
When I passed (7 years ago now  :laugh: ) I completed pass plus afterwards, gave me motorway driving lessons and it was one of the main things I was taught, if not overtaking stay to the left, only be in lane 2/3 etc for overtaking or going faster than other road users!

I did the same. Mine was mostly all motorway based as I needed to use them to see family etc and wanted some experience. Like other have said its long overdue.

I've had it on sections of the M1 which is now 4 lanes where you get someone in lane 2 or 3 with no one else around them and have to change 4 lanes just to go around them. Something needed to be done. I think in alot of cases its awareness of the rules regarding lane discipline that people don't understand.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 02:49:12 pm »

I don't think pass plus should be mandatory. I think some sort of motorway training would be ideal however it's not really that hard to understand is it?
Use the left-most lane when possible at all times.

Don't think you need to pay an addition £400 for some further lessons to work that out!  :happy2: