Make a donation

Author Topic: RS3 :)  (Read 12484 times)

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: RS3 :)
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2013, 08:29:10 pm »
Engines and propshafts blowing up OMG  :confused:
I was so up for buying one of these next year.  Also I never knew the ECU had to be removed for the remap  :scared:
The S4 is looking far more tasty at the moment  :party:

S4 remap is £1500!!  :signLOL:

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 08:37:07 pm »
I was so up for buying one of these next year.  Also I never knew the ECU had to be removed for the remap  :scared:

S4 remap is £1500!!  :signLOL:

Isn't that with the pulley upgrade?

I heard its good for 470bhp with that £1500  :drool:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 08:40:31 pm »

S4 remap is £1500!!  :signLOL:

Isn't that with the pulley upgrade?

I heard its good for 470bhp with that £1500  :drool:

ECU still needs to come out on a B8.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:44:57 pm by Deako »

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 02:42:21 pm »

ECU still needs to come out on a B8.

But it'll be worth it! 
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 03:18:12 pm »
That £1500 includes loads of uprated parts: pulley, belt, intake mods, boost pipes and all the labour. Not bad I thought.
Sideways yo!

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 11:57:50 pm »
That £1500 includes loads of uprated parts: pulley, belt, intake mods, boost pipes and all the labour. Not bad I thought.

Does it also include the map - and is that at stage 2??  :drool:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 01:49:17 am »
I wanted one A LOT but then I drove one and was disappointed. We have had one back recently that we had mapped and it was flashed to stock by the dealers, reason for update?

Audi decided that due to propshaft failures they would change the power delivery so MORE goes to the front wheels  :sick:

Could have been a much better car, I decided to save almost 10k and buy the M135i.

Only during launch.

Can be bypassed with aftermarket haldex switch.

To the OP. unless you need the practicality of the rs3 get a TTRS instead, from a performance point it's a much better all round car.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 02:01:49 am »
Read the rest of the thread now.

Engines blowing up doesn't seem to be a issue with the TTRS. It's a strong motor, basically like a 2.0tfsi but with a extra cylinder and stronger block, pistons and rods from the factory. So no engine issues.

Props yes a few have gone, but Audi have updated the design and change the aggressiveness of rear diff Engagment.

I'd imagine a stock rs3 is boring on the track as a stock chassis TTRS is. They aren't setup for that. On bumpy twisty roads they are a blast though.

As per remapped S4 vs remapped 2.5tfsi, the 2.5tfsi car would leave it for dead. You only need to look at 1/4 mile times to see that.

Mapped s4's will do low 13's high 12's. A TTRS will do a 12.6 stock. Both manual cars.

Point to point the only thing quicker than a mapped TTRS will be a newer edition GTR and 911 turbo.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 09:30:26 am »
I wanted one A LOT but then I drove one and was disappointed. We have had one back recently that we had mapped and it was flashed to stock by the dealers, reason for update?

Audi decided that due to propshaft failures they would change the power delivery so MORE goes to the front wheels  :sick:

Only during launch.

But they have moved the power delivery to a more FWD bias to stop the rear propshafts failing.  The Haldex switch will shift more bias to the rears than before this latest ECU update, so if anything the haldex upgrade will surely make the likelihood of a propshaft. failure higher. 

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 09:52:50 am »

Does it also include the map - and is that at stage 2??  :drool:

Everything - drive in, drive out.

I kind of agree with Pov, if you want the RS, then the TT makes more sense - the RS3 seems like an afterthought car.

If you need doors and seats and a boot, then I'd walk straight past the RS3 to the S4. Not sure about his thoughts it won't be as quick up the 1/4 mile, 3.55-60 and an 11.99 1/4 MRC ST2...

Proper 60:40 quattro, the sports diff makes it a proper weapon around bends too, really hides its weight.

edit - stupid iPad.

Search 'tube for MRC TUNING B8 S4@INTERS 2012

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:37:35 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 10:22:52 am »
I was gunna get a RS3 early/mid next year but wanted to tune it big time but guessing that wont be an option. Shame really as although it does seem an afterthought, the potential is there. Just don't know if I can live with a TT! Id have to get a daily car aswell as. Hmmm. The S4 is too big for me though.

The dealer I went to made me laugh when I went in and spoke to the: "there's a tuning cap on them". Oh really.
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 11:20:01 am »

Only during launch.

But they have moved the power delivery to a more FWD bias to stop the rear propshafts failing.  The Haldex switch will shift more bias to the rears than before this latest ECU update, so if anything the haldex upgrade will surely make the likelihood of a propshaft. failure higher. 

Well the TSB says the it will just send power to the rear less aggressively, as in less snappy to be easier on the drivetrain. The prop has been modified now anyway, I don't think it's a huge problem but Audi are just protecting themselves now.

I'm assuming the Mrc stage 2 s4 is DSG with its 11.99 time, a stage 2 TTRS DSG will do it in 11.4 secs with full interior.

The s4 does have the proper Quattro and sports diff advantage on paper though, but I haven't driven one yet to see what difference that makes in real life.

Both cars should be fun and quick.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2013, 11:26:34 am »
I don't know anything about the S4, I just went sniffing for videos to see what they do. I reckon auto, it doesn't have the 'dive' you'd associate with a manual changing up on the strip, looks pretty seamless.

GIAC reckon they've done an 11.8 in a manual, but that'll be American 1/4 mile. So downhill, with a tailwind, with a sail, and a running start, and ......

Snag a drive of one, I was very impressed indeed. Feels RWD, which is very odd for an Audi, you can slide it around and it never feels nose heavy.

I'm guessing there's about 400kgs difference in that and yours, maybe more? You can't beat physics!!  :grin:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:43:05 am by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline Real Thing

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 09:48:22 am »
Might have had a few problems but still Best Engine 2.0 -2.5 litre 4 years running:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=27876
Golf MK6 R TTE420 & Gen1 RS3

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 12:38:30 pm »
Might have had a few problems but still Best Engine 2.0 -2.5 litre 4 years running:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=27876

So was the 1.4TSI, but it still doesnt obscure the fact that its probably one of the most unreliable engines available from VAG.  There must be a couple new posts each week about new engines being fitted now people have started getting to 10-20k!!