Make a donation

Author Topic: 2 Months in a Bimmer 330Ci - Good, but I want back in!!  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
2 Months in a Bimmer 330Ci - Good, but I want back in!!
« on: June 07, 2013, 08:44:06 am »

It's been a good driving experience, lovely car to look at, sounds wonderful all the time (I'll never tire of that straight six throb) and I arrive at my destination feeling a lot fresher and cosseted than I ever did in a Mk5 GTi

BUT

It's just not very exciting!! I miss the razor sharp responses (comparatively speaking) of having the power at the steered wheels. I miss the turbo shove on boost and instant acceleration. I miss the torque, and the handling is much better in the Golf than the Bimmer. Rear wheel drive just isn't very exciting unless you can hang the back out and when can you do that safely?

I can't wait to get back in a Mk5 GTi, and I'm a third of the way towards my ED30 budget. Can't come quick enough.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Re: 2 Months in a Bimmer 330Ci - Good, but I want back in!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:25:48 pm »
interesting to hear your experiences
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 06:16:27 pm »
Ian,

Just a thought, have you considered trying a Focus ST or one of the other hot hatches as a comparison? I took out a Champ White Edition Civic Type-R (used to own one too) just for a go and was so surprised at how sharp it handled compared to a golf. Not very torquey low down the revs but was great fun to thrash and has the best gear change I've ever experienced.

Would certainly have another  :ashamed:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:51:55 pm »

Hi Graeme,

I have, but I miss VW ownership enormously. I've had 9 and I love 'em. Even when I drove a RS Focus Mountune 350, I looked down at the blue oval on the steering wheel  and thought "shame it's a Ford"!! Narrow minded I know  :ashamed:

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline detailer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
  • I like things shiney
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:18:15 pm »
Good lad, I l what you mean I had a 530d m sport. Had vw's all my life and went and bought the BMW. They are an awesome car don't get me wrong and the bold quality is equal if not slightly better then vw dee I say it, BUT the vw is better and more fun IMO  :happy2:

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 05:43:50 pm »
For a relatively cheap car VW's are the tops when it comes to the passion of their owners and how their cars have such a great effect on them . Look at all the cars that it has produced over 50 years or so , Karmann ghia , split screen camper , mk 1 gti ,Scirrocco ,  Mk 5 gti etc . No other marque comes close for affordable passion  :innocent:

2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline darren4

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:39:34 am »
Ian,

Just a thought, have you considered trying a Focus ST or one of the other hot hatches as a comparison? I took out a Champ White Edition Civic Type-R (used to own one too) just for a go and was so surprised at how sharp it handled compared to a golf. Not very torquey low down the revs but was great fun to thrash and has the best gear change I've ever experienced.

Would certainly have another  :ashamed:

The thing with the civic is as a everyday car it get's boring very quickly( dropping down gears for more power ect) reason i got rid of mine. Do miss that late night thrash mind  :wink:

Saintsteve

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 07:11:37 pm »

It's been a good driving experience, lovely car to look at, sounds wonderful all the time (I'll never tire of that straight six throb) and I arrive at my destination feeling a lot fresher and cosseted than I ever did in a Mk5 GTi

BUT

It's just not very exciting!! I miss the razor sharp responses (comparatively speaking) of having the power at the steered wheels. I miss the turbo shove on boost and instant acceleration. I miss the torque, and the handling is much better in the Golf than the Bimmer. Rear wheel drive just isn't very exciting unless you can hang the back out and when can you do that safely?

I can't wait to get back in a Mk5 GTi, and I'm a third of the way towards my ED30 budget. Can't come quick enough.

If only you'd listened  :innocent:  :signLOL:

Hope to see you back in a Ed30 soon Ian  :happy2:

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:26:55 am »
Have you tried pressing this button?

I would say that on a dry hot day my 330ci would of easily out handled my Golf.

And the performance of a stage 1 gti is on par with the 330ci

Offline rf860

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 10:42:25 am »

Agree. I would say that most BMWs would out handle the golf. My previous 1 series coupe was far better for handling than the golf.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 04:37:28 pm »

BUT

If only you'd listened  :innocent:  :signLOL:

Hope to see you back in a Ed30 soon Ian  :happy2:

Thanks Steve. I didn't want to sell my Golf, I had to do it because I needed to free up some cash to get my business going again and buy a van after 4 months off work injured. Not a day goes by when I don't miss it!!  :sad1:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 04:43:15 pm »

My Revo Stage 1 Mk5 GTi was FAR quicker than my 330Ci. I'd compare the Bimmer as on a par with the Golf only when the GTi is running stock. In any weather, both my MK5 GTi's were also different league in terms of handling compared to the Bimmer.

In terms of handling, The BMW feels less communicative through the steering, and I don't feel anywhere near as confident throwing it into bends and roundabouts. 

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 07:28:28 pm »

My Revo Stage 1 Mk5 GTi was FAR quicker than my 330Ci. I'd compare the Bimmer as on a par with the Golf only when the GTi is running stock. In any weather, both my MK5 GTi's were also different league in terms of handling compared to the Bimmer.

In terms of handling, The BMW feels less communicative through the steering, and I don't feel anywhere near as confident throwing it into bends and roundabouts. 

Interesting, do you think this was more of a feeling due to the FI power delivery vs the smooth inline 6 NA?

On paper both cars seem fairly even.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 07:48:19 pm »
get it sold.and buy another gti :grin: