Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 510160 times)

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2008, 04:30:37 pm »
wow! that is major work! brave man!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2008, 04:44:40 pm »
Superb progress so far, I was pretty impressed when I stripped the seats out of mine recently for a track day - the rear upright weighs an absolute tonne! 150kg out of the car will be amazing.

I like the grille trim in white, I tend to agree with the heritage thing... but then VW Motorsport cars had them in blue - so it ain't set in stone.
Sideways yo!

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2008, 05:16:25 pm »

Is a roll-cage on your list? - In other words, having stripped out the back, do you intend to track it regularly?

:xmassmiley:

Nope, they are quite heavy  :grin:

Removing the rear interior parts purely for performance, dont have anyone in the rear of the car so its no inconvenience to me.. Having a carpet made to cover the shell, so it looks like this.. (less the scaffolding)

Weight saving and lightening this car is going to be a big part of the concept, my target is to remove 150KG from the car, which will make a huge difference in terms of performance..

These are the parts that are going to save the weight, some of which I have already done  :happy2:

WHEELS & TYRES
REAR SEATS
BOOT CONTENTS + REAR MATS   
SUSPENSION
INTAKE
FRONT SEATS
BRAKES
BATTERY
EXHAUST
CARBON FRONT WINGS
CARBON BONNET
REMOVE BONNET INSULATION
SINGLE FRONT WIPER KIT
REAR WIPER DELETE   
POLY CARBONATE REAR WINDOWS
POSSIBLY REMOVE THE AIRCON SYSTEM, PUMP, RAD, HOSES ETC ETC

Im going for a Club-Sport type of spec, dont want to strip the car out and have it a bare shell inside, need to keep a certain level of comfort, and I want it to look like it could have came like this from the factory, R26R style..

so you are running stage 2 on a stock exhaust ?

Having an exhaust made very soon, reason I went for the Stage 2 right away was so that I could have the exhaust made and fitted to my car without having a CEL up on the dash.. should be on straight after new year  :smiley:
can i just ask why did you bother buying an ed 30 / gti you could have started with a base model and fitted the parts you wanted  to that just with the engine turbo etc ???????????? :confused:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2008, 05:19:01 pm »
^^^^ that doesn't make sense what do you mean.  :smiley:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2008, 05:31:08 pm »

To all those who would change the colour of their GTI/Ed30/Pirelli's iconic red lipstick line around the upper grill..........

:mad: SACRILEGE!!!! :fighting:

You may as well totally debadge your car while you are at it!
yes cant agree more imo this should be made a criminal offence :fighting:

Oh give up lol..

Why would I want to start with a base model Golf, that would be infinitely more expensive doing it that way..

All im doing is removing parts / adding lightweight parts to the car and tuning the car..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

matt a

« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2008, 01:26:05 am »
I think he meant a base model GTI, which weren't a kinda limited run. So that would have been a KO4 upgrade.

As for the red lip, its a clip on clip off part  :surprised: i,e easy to change. I have a few grills for my GTI and its the one thing I love about the MK5 GTI/GT front, its really customisable.

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2008, 09:42:09 am »
sorry , yes thats what i ment , imo if you was planning this amount of work using a limited (numbered ) car was nt necessary , dont get me wrong i like what your doing and i know the results will be amazing but i think the edition 30 only needs mild tuning to make it what vw should have  :happy2: 

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2008, 11:09:13 am »
Even if you say compare the GTI to the ED30 as a base car..

Lower compression, stronger crank, forged rods, K04 turbo.. The whole engine is different

Then the full body kit etc.. and the fact that is it a limited car, I think thats cooler, as less people are likely to do this type of thing, at the end of the day im doing all of this for my own enjoyment, and part of why I like it is to make my cars individual, and like nothing else..

Anyways, the aim with this car is to make it the fastest ED30/GTI in the UK.. So starting with an ED30 made sense..  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2008, 11:23:11 am »
Even if you say compare the GTI to the ED30 as a base car..

Lower compression, stronger crank, forged rods, K04 turbo.. The whole engine is different

....It makes you wonder why VW applied those engine changes just to support an extra 30 bhp - Wouldn't a ECU remap equivalent to Stage1 delivered the same? But I guess that the answer to my question may be to do with VW's wish to maintain their usual headroom (thought to be about +40%).

Many of us here relate very enthusiastically to making our cars individual - It's a labour of love.

Nice one! Jonny

:happy2: 8) :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2008, 11:27:55 am »
I think its more to do with the fact that they would be aware of the potential of the K04 turbo, and the fact that people are going to tune them up.. Its nice that the engine is so strong.. Just a shame they didnt throw some really beefy rods in it at the same time  :sad:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2008, 11:39:02 am »
^^^^

Also that they (VW) didn't do anything extra to the DSG gearbox but of course they know how robust it already is (we assume!). I don't expect that VW want to get on that slippery slope of modding! - It's endless!!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2008, 11:48:06 am »
I think its more to do with the fact that they would be aware of the potential of the K04 turbo, and the fact that people are going to tune them up..

....Do you think that VW take into account the aftermarket tuning potential? - I don't know for sure but I would have thought that VW would only be concerned about their standard production car's reliability and possibly longevity, and that it's nothing to do with them what Mad Englishmen subsequently do to their fine German Craftsmenship. 

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2008, 12:06:57 pm »
Oh I don't know, you can order Oettinger stuff including remaps direct from dealers in Germany with full VW warranty back up (unless it has changed very recently).

Also, it's not that limited a car. What was there, like 3000+ official VW cars and then the grey imports from the likes of Motorpoint on top??
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2008, 12:35:39 pm »
Oh I don't know, you can order Oettinger stuff including remaps direct from dealers in Germany with full VW warranty back up (unless it has changed very recently).

....That slightly misses my point: I'm suggesting/asking whether VW design and manufacture the GTI/Ed30 with aftermarket in mind, but you are pointing out that VW subsequently accept some aftermarket products under their warranty - But that's only if the product is TUV-rated and a matter for the German dealer, and not VW, to individually decide.

Some UK VW dealers offer tuning packages too, but is it designed for in VW's original manufacture? - I suggest not, but I don't know definitively.

I'm asking if anyone here knows for certain.

:happy2: 

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2008, 03:24:20 pm »
All im saying is that VAG, like all car manufacturers are aware of OBD tuning..

If they put out a turbo charged car that can be tuned to say 320hp 330ft/lbs with only a re-map, and the rods will only take 300HP then they are in big trouble..

Re-map the car.. Blow it up.. Remove the map.. Take it back to VW and ask why the hell your standard car has grenaded itself??

Just a thought.. But anyways this thread is way off topic

Wouldn't mind someone cleaning it up really if thats possible..

Jonny