Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 497525 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2009, 09:42:17 pm »
^^^^

Those puppies are gorgeous (the Dymags, I mean).

Life's not a rehearsal, so if you've got the dosh available, get them and enjoy!!! I'm not jealous! :wink:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2009, 11:11:46 am »
A few pics from the other day..

APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2009, 12:45:22 pm »
Looking sweet mate.. Nice small front plate too. Had one like that on previous two cars, but not bothered with the Golf for some reason..
When's the exhaust going on by the way pal?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #183 on: January 02, 2009, 01:03:45 pm »
^^^^

Much easier to see your car's stance now that you haven't photographed her on grass.

If you are looking to lose weight - Carbonfibre bonnet? You can paint the outside top (as I have done) if you don't like the look.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2009, 01:19:29 pm »
Oh God, those wheels...

Am I right in calculating they'll sit 9mm further out that a Monza II, are you getting any arch issues?

Hope you don't mind but I've sent a link of your pic to Tabs over on uk-MKIVs, as he's looking at them too. If not, let me know and I'll delete it.

Mike.
Sideways yo!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2009, 02:36:22 pm »
^^^^

Much easier to see your car's stance now that you haven't photographed her on grass.

If you are looking to lose weight - Carbonfibre bonnet? You can paint the outside top (as I have done) if you don't like the look.

Yeah im planning on getting a carbon bonnet and having it painted.. Think its 12KG saved, so well worth it along with some carbon front wings..

Oh God, those wheels...

Am I right in calculating they'll sit 9mm further out that a Monza II, are you getting any arch issues?

Hope you don't mind but I've sent a link of your pic to Tabs over on uk-MKIVs, as he's looking at them too. If not, let me know and I'll delete it.

Mike.

Lol thats fine mate..

Yeah I had to do a fair bit of work to make them fit, and there is no way you could have it anywhere near as low as I have it without having the camber adjustable top mounts, adding negative camber gives you another 10-15mm clearance at the top..

So is everyone going to end up with Turini's now? Lol..  :sad:

Offline broke.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2009, 02:49:10 pm »
how did you have your plate when you were stopped? was it because you had the small one on?
those dymag wheels look insane  :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2009, 02:51:15 pm »
Yeah had the tiny plate on.. Looked immense but out of the three times I drove the car I got stopped twice lol..

So got boring big plates on now and £30 lighter :(

Offline broke.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2009, 02:58:33 pm »
my new plate is gunna be shortened but its the prefix option so can have a shortened plate 320mm. legal letters so should get away with it. police up here (nr. leeds) aren't bad at all, i drove my saxo (i know i know) with no front plate and my rear plate in the back window and never got stopped once. and that was like that for 18 months driving everyday. cool for me but worrying from a law-abiding citizen's POV

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #189 on: January 02, 2009, 03:40:09 pm »
Yeah I had to do a fair bit of work to make them fit, and there is no way you could have it anywhere near as low as I have it without having the camber adjustable top mounts, adding negative camber gives you another 10-15mm clearance at the top..

....I'm sure you already know that negative camber is going to adversely effect your tyres' life. Why not choose something like KW Clubsports where you can simply dial-in the negative camber just for track days.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #190 on: January 02, 2009, 04:35:27 pm »

....I'm sure you already know that negative camber is going to adversely effect your tyres' life. Why not choose something like KW Clubsports where you can simply dial-in the negative camber just for track days.

I have the adjustable top mounts, and yes im well aware of that..  :happy2:

KW club sports have a bent damper shaft to achieve the negative camber.. So running them if anything is non adjustble, not a case of dialing it in..

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #191 on: January 03, 2009, 10:21:08 pm »
Update on the car..

Got the prices back for all of the carbon panels (boot lid, bonnet, 10mm wider wings and carbon doors) seems very fair, and kind of what I expected..

Hopefully ill be able to get some of this stuff fitted to my car soon!

Re calculated and with conservative figures it seems that 325KG could be taken out of the car without affecting the every day driveability!! Pretty amazing IMO..

This would sit the base weight of the car at around 1050KG, and with 360Bhp+ and 350Ft/Lbs+ its going to be fairly swift!!

I would love to break 1000kg's but I dont think that would be achievable without removing air con, stripping the interior completely (carpets/headlining), no ICE (not that im bothered about that if im honest) and IMO for that last little bit it would make the car a joke.. I think if I can get the car down to 1050KG whilst retaining the OEM look (GTI ED30 Clubsport) then ill be very very happy!!

Time to get saving up..

Also today I had a custom 3" turbo back exhaust fitted to the car, one long resonator box in the tunnel, and the largest box we could fit situated in the centre, with straight pipe to a twin 3" staggered tail pipe! Looks ace, sounds great and now the car really goes well..

Also had an Autotech HPFP installed, does exactly what it says on the tin, more mid range and smoother boost throughout the rev range, very worthwhile mod IMO!

So only a few more bits to do to the car until its reached the full potential of the standard K04 turbo.. S3 intercooler (possibly combined with a Forge Twin cooler), Custom throttle body to intercooler pipe, Stage 2+ Revo map (to make the most of the fuel pump) and one more very exciting mod which im not going to tell you about!! :)

So lots more done, but still a long way to go.. Really excited about this project.. Fantastic base car to start with, and it just keeps on getting better and better!!

Jonny

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #192 on: January 03, 2009, 10:31:34 pm »
Haha you are mental, which company are you getting for the carbon panels  :smiley:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2009, 10:34:32 pm »

matt a

« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2009, 10:51:18 pm »
Please tell me you're getting all that carbon painted.