Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 496788 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #240 on: January 15, 2009, 04:53:24 pm »
A bit of both really..  :happy2:

Update..

I installed a Braille 15lbs race battery into my car today, so cute.. Its tiny! It saves 12KG over the standard battery without being too extreme, its advertised as being an all weather battery. First impressions are that the car starts stronger than ever, and im sure Ill have no problems.. Quite expensive but loosing weight isn't cheap!

The car is going in to the exhaust shop tomorrow to have some further work done on the exhaust, experimenting with some different box designs to tune the sound to what im after, I have a full 3" system on the car and its currently running with 3 boxes, too many for my liking, not great for performance having that many, and weight too.. Plus its a bit soft on the ears  :laugh: Ill report on this tomorrow..

I'm having a Forge Motorsport Twintercooler and a Forge DV fitted to the car.. Then in a few weeks time ill be taking a trip to Forge to have an S3 cooler mounted too, plus some other trick parts, boost pipes etc..

Really looking forward to seeing the results, everything around shows that the Forge cooler is the best way to go, cant wait to feel the difference for myself, and combined with the OEM S3 cooler I think that its going to be a great package.

Then Ill be having a Quaife DSG LSD fitted to the car, pretty simple, a FWD with the kind of power that im running and open diff is always going to be a huge compromise so I have opted to go with an LSD.

I have the VF Engineering engine mounts on my car at the moment but im going to have a play around with some of the VW Racing mounts that are now available, there are two options on the mounts, im planning on going for the full race spec version, billet alloy, pretty extreme but the performance advantage will be huge.

Ill be having the helper springs removed from the dampers currently fitted to the car, bit of a long explanation but IMO there not required and will allow me to have the car sat just as I like it.. LOW!

On top of all this stuff there will be lots of work going on with the car, full service on the engine and DSG box, allignment and removing as much dead weight as possible etc.. Really looking forward to getting the car back! And its not even gone yet lol..

Like I said, its a shame that the seats and windows wont be in the car until after the Santa Pod meet, but nothing I can do about that!

Once I get the car back from VW Racing then Ill post up a full report on all of the new parts and include some pictures! I know most of the recent updates have been a bit wordy! Tomorrow Ill be getting a load of pics of the full exhaust and battery mods  :happy2:

Jonny
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #241 on: January 15, 2009, 06:24:56 pm »
I agree with you Jonny, less words more mental stuff.  :party:

matt a

« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2009, 11:32:19 pm »
Would be nice to see some pictures of all these fancy bits your buying.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2009, 09:02:13 am »
Bet you can't wait for the first person to come upto you and say "Nice car mate, what exactly have you had done to it?"... "You got half hour mate?"... :grin:

Offline P10YRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2009, 10:56:50 am »
Thats a Serious! car your building there..

What you going to do with your old vf mounts when you get the vw racing ones??

Il take them off your hands  :happy2:

Ash.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2009, 12:14:33 pm »

Hi Jonny,

I was up at VWR on Tuesday and probably a quick visit there again this week coming (but haven't spoken to Mark about it yet).

You'll be in very good hands as I'm sure you already realise. :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2009, 12:46:28 pm »
Bet you can't wait for the first person to come upto you and say "Nice car mate, what exactly have you had done to it?"... "You got half hour mate?"... :grin:

Lol pretty much.. Ill probably just say, yeah a lot of stuff.. Should be easier to list things I haven't done really haha.. (but that may just give me ideas)

Thats a Serious! car your building there..

What you going to do with your old vf mounts when you get the vw racing ones??

Il take them off your hands  :happy2:

Ash.

Sent you an email  :happy2:

Hi Jonny,

I was up at VWR on Tuesday and probably a quick visit there again this week coming (but haven't spoken to Mark about it yet).

You'll be in very good hands as I'm sure you already realise. :happy2:

Ah cool, yeah the car is being dropped off on monday night, should have it back within the week fingers crossed as I have a RR day on that Saturday! :laugh:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2009, 03:31:14 pm »
Picturesssss!!

Finally I have something a little more interesting to look at! :grin:

So had a play around with some Matte Black vinyl today, its not designed for wrapping so it was pretty tricky to get a reasonable finish but I think it looks ok.. Wrapped both the main grille and badge..

Will be fitting this to the car later today..

I didn't have enough left over to do the rear bumper but that will be getting done pretty soon  :laugh:

And heres some pics of the Braille lightweight 15lbs race battery (looks pretty lost in the standard battery box!)

The car went back into the exhaust shop yesterday to have some adjustments made to the exhaust, really pleased with the results, not really any drone on the motorway but sounds crazy when your on power! Also on the up shifts the sound is amazing with the DSG.. Sounds like an ignition cut! (Ill get some detailed pics of the Exhaust when its up on a ramp at VWR)

Heres a picture, shows the smooth bends, true 3" bore and the center silencer box, had the bottom of the box flattened off for ground clearance (already looks sh*tty because of all the salt on the roads, its T304 stainless though so its just on the surface)

When the car goes into VWR im going to ask the guys there to take pics of the car during its surgery! So plenty more to come..  :wink:

Jonny

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2009, 03:37:42 pm »
Looking fantastic! This is the best topic on this forum in my eyes!

How much was the battery, if you don't mind me asking? Not really looking to purchase, but just want an idea. From looking at your photos, it doesn't look like the carbon fibre ones that they offer? Correct me if I'm wrong  :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2009, 03:44:05 pm »

How much was the battery, if you don't mind me asking? Not really looking to purchase, but just want an idea. From looking at your photos, it doesn't look like the carbon fibre ones that they offer? Correct me if I'm wrong  :smiley:

Thanks mate.. Your only saying that because I have finally posted some pics lol..

Well, the battery with the clamp I bought was £175, but with an aluminium bracket its about £250, seen as how the battery is not going to be on show I thought it was pretty pointless buying a fancy looking bracket..

Quite funny regarding the Carbon battery, its actually a carbon skin wrapped around the battery I have, purely cosmetic, so if anything it weights more! So I went for the MUCH cheaper lighter, lightweight option lol..  :happy2:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2009, 03:46:39 pm »

Thanks mate.. Your only saying that because I have finally posted some pics lol..

Well, the battery with the clamp I bought was £175, but with an aluminium bracket its about £250, seen as how the battery is not going to be on show I thought it was pretty pointless buying a fancy looking bracket..

Quite funny regarding the Carbon battery, its actually a carbon skin wrapped around the battery I have, purely cosmetic, so if anything it weights more! So I went for the MUCH cheaper lighter, lightweight option lol..  :happy2:

Lol, no really it's a great topic! I think you are doing the modification that most people on here dream of doing - fund permitting!

Thanks for the price info!

Ahh, I didn't know that it was just basically a 'carbon look'!!! Definitely think that you've made the right decision on that - re the carbon, and the aluminium bracket!  :smiley:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2009, 04:56:04 pm »
Ok.. Heres a pic of the grille fitted and a quick video of the exhaust sound.. (for those who have requested)

Always hard to get an idea of how an exhaust sounds with just a few revs but you can tell its quite an aggressive tone, not droney.. Like I said, sounds really nice on boost!

Grille fitted..

Exhaust sound..

Jonny

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2009, 04:58:14 pm »
 to save me searching through the thread  :laugh: what exhaust is it

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2009, 04:59:17 pm »
Custom from the turbo mate  :happy2:

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2009, 05:03:55 pm »
Think i will be going custom with the exhaust, i really want more noise. Will put the milltek tbe up for sale soon and hopefully get a custome done around march time.
Sounds really good jonny :happy2:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch