Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 496471 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #330 on: January 27, 2009, 05:22:24 pm »
ive installed the S3 cooler on my gti, took me about 5 1/2 hours but i think i could do it in about 4 now. its pritty straight forward, front bumper and grill can be off in 15 mins, then its just taking you time and following any instructions, and also keeping track of all the screws that you take out  :ashamed:

i think the twintercooler ill be quicker(easier) than the S3 one as you will be keeping the std cooler. so not as much work. but if your doing this (and you obv aint strapped for cash) why not combine the S3 cooler with the forge twintercooler. they youl be verry cooooooooooooooool :scared:

Ok cool, so really if I set aside 4 hours for this then that should be enough as I dont have to remove the AC rad etc etc like you did.

Im having the S3 cooler installed also along with custom boost pipes when the car goes to forge next month but I need to get the twin cooler on now really as its running a lot of boost on the K04 and the ED30 cooler is maxed out..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #331 on: January 27, 2009, 05:30:34 pm »
ive installed the S3 cooler on my gti, took me about 5 1/2 hours but i think i could do it in about 4 now. its pritty straight forward, front bumper and grill can be off in 15 mins, then its just taking you time and following any instructions, and also keeping track of all the screws that you take out  :ashamed:

i think the twintercooler ill be quicker(easier) than the S3 one as you will be keeping the std cooler. so not as much work. but if your doing this (and you obv aint strapped for cash) why not combine the S3 cooler with the forge twintercooler. they youl be verry cooooooooooooooool :scared:

Ok cool, so really if I set aside 4 hours for this then that should be enough as I dont have to remove the AC rad etc etc like you did.

Im having the S3 cooler installed also along with custom boost pipes when the car goes to forge next month but I need to get the twin cooler on now really as its running a lot of boost on the K04 and the ED30 cooler is maxed out..

Personally id just wait, and have it done together, but that me!

if your handy with a spanner and know your way around the mk5 well then id say you could get it done in 4 hours easily.

id also have a guide handy, i used the twintercooler gide, but worked out the rest. infact you could probs to the twincooler in about 3 hours.

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #332 on: January 27, 2009, 05:35:41 pm »
I need to get the twin cooler on now really as its running a lot of boost on the K04 and the ED30 cooler is maxed out..

....Is the maxing out manifesting itself in particular ways that you can feel are limiting your performance?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: January 27, 2009, 05:38:45 pm »
Personally id just wait, and have it done together, but that me!

if your handy with a spanner and know your way around the mk5 well then id say you could get it done in 4 hours easily.

id also have a guide handy, i used the twintercooler gide, but worked out the rest. infact you could probs to the twincooler in about 3 hours.

Thanks mate, I find it very hard to wait for anything but in this case Im really wanting to get it on for Sunday to get the most out of what I have!

....Is the maxing out manifesting itself in particular ways that you can feel are limiting your performance?

Only from the point of view that the IAT's are higher than they should be for best performance, and after sitting in traffic the car heat soaks badly and takes ages to recover from the heat soak.

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #334 on: January 27, 2009, 07:19:20 pm »
What revo settings are you running?

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #335 on: January 27, 2009, 07:21:09 pm »
B9 T7 F9 or possibly T6.. On stage 2+ with a de-cat 3" exhaust, it makes good boost..

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #336 on: January 27, 2009, 07:23:46 pm »
Im running B7T7F9 and B7T6F9 if its a little warmer, as mine was pulling back timing on B9T6F9 at the last rr day.
Dont have the pump though and im running the gti milltek dp (2.75"), same as vtech. Seem to get good torque figures with that setup :happy2:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: January 27, 2009, 07:26:07 pm »
Yeah a lot of that will be down to the exhaust really, you need a 3" downpipe to run big boost. The 2.75" creates too much back pressure, thats why your making huge torque.. Depends what your after really though!

I woulnd't mind trading 100ft/lbs for 100hp top end..

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #338 on: January 27, 2009, 07:53:36 pm »
Will be having 3" if i go custom as i could to with the torque dropping a touch so that my clutch will last a little longer :laugh:. Funny thing is vtech has identical mods and his car was fine with B9T6F9 on the same rrday.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: January 27, 2009, 07:55:25 pm »
Thats because the DSG has a torque limiter and will be pulling the car back, requested boost will be more than actual..

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #340 on: January 27, 2009, 08:00:32 pm »
Oh i see, thanks for clearing that up. So with a 3" system i will lose torque but make bhp?
Think i fancy going decat to get a little more pop n bang :evilgrin:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: January 27, 2009, 08:02:48 pm »
You will probably gain both, but the torque will be higher up. And for sure you will feel a big difference top end..

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2009, 08:04:30 pm »
Oh i see, thanks for clearing that up. So with a 3" system i will lose torque but make bhp?
Think i fancy going decat to get a little more pop n bang :evilgrin:

compare mine and jonnys exhaust as we both have about the same  setup

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #343 on: January 27, 2009, 08:05:28 pm »
Thats because the DSG has a torque limiter and will be pulling the car back, requested boost will be more than actual..

Not according to VAGCOM JC.. Been tested quite a few times now and requested an actual were bang on. About 1.5-1.6 bar IIRC..

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #344 on: January 27, 2009, 08:05:54 pm »
Good stuff. Had a go straight line with my mate in his m3 csl and the cars were pretty much dead even. May go with pump, stage2 and 3"custom so i can whoop his ass lol :grin:
Wish i had a carbon fibre roof and one of the best sounding engines ever though :sad: