Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 509014 times)

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #1170 on: December 04, 2009, 01:58:07 pm »
Ahem - may be of use?

Linky

Looks good, but plenty of money.. Think ill be able to get enough on the stock arches actually.. Ill see once I get the wheels/tyres on the car..

Looks good so far dude, one question though....What clutch pack upgrade are you going with as I thought that the jury was still out on the clutch packs?

Well thats a bit of a long term plan really, it really depends how the DSG copes with the power to be honest.. At the moment there is only the HPA upgrade which is $3600 but once some other companies start to develop kits that price has to come down.. Its high at the mo because there is zero competition!

Word, guessing as long as the map is wrote to bring the torque in over the rev range as appose to one big lump they should be alright... to a degree  :signLOL:
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1171 on: December 04, 2009, 02:00:08 pm »
Ahem - may be of use?

Linky

Looks good, but plenty of money.. Think ill be able to get enough on the stock arches actually.. Ill see once I get the wheels/tyres on the car..

Looks good so far dude, one question though....What clutch pack upgrade are you going with as I thought that the jury was still out on the clutch packs?

Well thats a bit of a long term plan really, it really depends how the DSG copes with the power to be honest.. At the moment there is only the HPA upgrade which is $3600 but once some other companies start to develop kits that price has to come down.. Its high at the mo because there is zero competition!

Word, guessing as long as the map is wrote to bring the torque in over the rev range as appose to one big lump they should be alright... to a degree  :signLOL:

Thats the plan for sure, but to be fair, the GT30 turbo wont make any more than a K04 (torque wise) below about 4500 anyways so its more progressive inherently..

All the gains are 5k and above.. Thats why the engine will be built to rev to 8500rpm+
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #1172 on: December 04, 2009, 05:18:24 pm »
Jonny, with the lower subframe mount did you fit an arm linkage thingy as looking at the other tuners ie VF and BSH they all change that part but vwracing obviously dont feel the need to do so.

Just wondering as im getting the solid Mount fitted tomorrow.

Edit - Know the answer now.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:36:00 pm by RobH »

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1173 on: December 08, 2009, 08:18:25 pm »
Jonny, with the lower subframe mount did you fit an arm linkage thingy as looking at the other tuners ie VF and BSH they all change that part but vwracing obviously dont feel the need to do so.

Just wondering as im getting the solid Mount fitted tomorrow.

Edit - Know the answer now.

I used the stock one for now, but I have a BSH lower mount on the way! That will be on pretty soon..

Little bit of news anyways..

The turbo kit is now ordered for the car, so a little change on plan on running the car K04 for a while etc etc.. Im far too impatient, and I miss the big turbo badly!!

I have some pretty crazy things planned this time, all of which will become very apparent when the car is built, but, its going to be mental! I can't wait!!

I have specced the turbo too.. Its being built by Owen Developments, and couldn't be further from an off the shelf Garrett unit!! The spec is as follows..

* GT3076R frame
* Billet compressor wheel
* Metal bearing cages
* WRC bearings
* Upgraded internal diffusors
* Tial .82 AR v-band exhaust housing
* Zircotec ceramic coated exhaust housing

Im planning to run 1.65 bar / 24psi boost to start with, which should give a nice solid power and torque curve.. I can't wait to see how the new billet compressor wheel works along with the ceramic coated exhaust housing its going to be fantastic, early spool and great top end power and all in an overall smaller package than the off the shelf 3076R unit!

All being well the parts should be with me next week, and the car be up and running before Christmas!!!

Ill get some pics etc up showing all the parts when they come through!

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #1174 on: December 08, 2009, 08:20:31 pm »
 :party: :party: :party: HAPPY CHRISTMAS everyone  :pomppomp:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #1175 on: December 08, 2009, 08:30:11 pm »
 :congrats:  :notworthy:
Truly awesome Jonny.

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #1176 on: December 08, 2009, 08:40:22 pm »
Ding Dong Merrily on High

Cant wait to see this strapped on, whats the potential output with the other mods you have planned mate?

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #1177 on: December 08, 2009, 08:45:46 pm »
Looking forward to this..  :notworthy:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #1178 on: December 08, 2009, 09:23:37 pm »
well JC i hope ur DSG doesn't do this when u go for the first launch post GT30!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #1179 on: December 08, 2009, 10:58:57 pm »
I like.....a lot :jumping:

Have you ordered the HPA clutchpack?
Golf R gone.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1180 on: December 09, 2009, 12:24:53 am »
Ding Dong Merrily on High

Cant wait to see this strapped on, whats the potential output with the other mods you have planned mate?

Haha.. Well first of all ill be running the engine on stock internals, so around 425hp.. But the turbo has the potential to support over 600 no problem, probably more when running big boost (2.5 bar etc) but for that I need to complete the engine build, DSG clutch packs and fit a low pressure fueling solution, that, at the moment, isn't readily available..

Its all on the way though.. And its not exactly going to be slow with 425hp DSG and 1000KG! lol..

well JC i hope ur DSG doesn't do this when u go for the first launch post GT30!

Erm yeah.. Me too haha..

I like.....a lot :jumping:

Have you ordered the HPA clutchpack?

When I go for big power I will do something.. To be honest though, there are guys out there running big power (Audi TT in Mexico with 500WHP) on stock DSG, with zero problems.. I think with the correct mapping and regular maintenance the DSG is a mega system..

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #1181 on: December 09, 2009, 12:00:57 pm »
At least you can order the stock clutch packs from VW easily enough :happy2:

I've been looking at the internals of the DSG box on my car and it does look pretty substantial. Fingers crossed it all goes back together okay.....for both of us :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #1182 on: December 09, 2009, 06:52:58 pm »
Wow Jonny, this car is going to be phenominal!  Looking forward to the outcome
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1183 on: December 09, 2009, 07:00:44 pm »
At least you can order the stock clutch packs from VW easily enough :happy2:

I've been looking at the internals of the DSG box on my car and it does look pretty substantial. Fingers crossed it all goes back together okay.....for both of us :laugh:

£500 for the 'repair' kit so we'll see how it goes, and throw a set of OEM clutches in if need be first time round..

It could well be that running big power, the clutches will only last 5k miles.. If thats the case (which I really genuinely doubt) then ill just do that.. Still cheaper than the options out there at the moment..

For reference, the ED30 has done 34k miles now, not one single problem with the DSG.. And if anything, a highly tuned K04 car is going to hurt the DSG more than a GT30 turbo would running 150hp more, simply because of the way the power and more importantly, torque, is brought in..

Im very confident it will be fine..

Wow Jonny, this car is going to be phenominal!  Looking forward to the outcome

Thanks mate.. Yep, me too! Not long to wait now..

Manifold and parts etc are shipping this week from BSH, and the turbo is being made at Owens now..

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1184 on: December 09, 2009, 07:28:46 pm »
Just a little update on how the car is running currently.. As I have said, im running Revo Stage 2+ with all of the bolt on's..

Did some logs on the car tonight..

OEM cooler with Forge Twintercooler and OEM Air conditioning system removed..

9 degrees C ambient temps.. The peak temp we saw was 13 degrees C after being sat parked up for a couple of mins, and most of the time it was pinned at 10 degrees C.. Peak whilst on throttle was 11 degrees C..

Pretty impressive if you ask me!!

Removing the OEM AC radiator makes a big difference to air flow obviously.. Both to the Intercooler and radiator, as peak coolant temperature never got over 82 degrees C all the time we were logging

Also, running B9 T6 F9 there was zero movement on the cylinder correction.. Again probably due to the temp the engine is running at.. If I had wanted to im sure we could have gone up on the timing setting and gained some performance..

All in all, Forge Twintercooler works incredibly well, and removing the Ac system helps too..