Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 508977 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #1245 on: December 17, 2009, 09:37:21 am »
How can you disagree? He's just been running this same turbo kit on his s3... If he says it wasn't laggy like the evo then it wasn't laggyy...  :stupid:

I think he meant more in the context of the FQ400.. But its a different turbo, and a different engine, so really, there is always going to be a difference anyways..

As I have said, the turbo on the S3 was an inferior spec to this turbo, and im running higher compression on the ED30 so its only going to improve..

Driving a big turbo car is different to a K03/4 for sure.. If you try asking to to pull from 2500rpm then it will do nothing, but who does that? Once your in the range then its crazy fast, and response was absolutely brilliant over 4k rpm..

Im not worried anyways  :smiley:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #1246 on: December 17, 2009, 02:34:17 pm »
The boost pipe thing  :ashamed:

The long pipe which is coming off the wategate in those pics is whats known as a dump tube, or screamer pipe..

The wastegate modulates how much exhaust gas can get to the turbo housing, when it sees a specified boost setting on the vacuum from the N75 it will open (a specific amount based on throttle, revs, load etc) so you have exhaust gas, pre turbo, coming out of the pipe..

Most external gate set ups run the pipe back into the downpipe, so it just comes out of the exhaust tail pipes, on the S3, I ran it open dump to the ground, on the ED30 im running it out of the bonnet.. So yeah, a bit daft but good fun, and its going to be absolutely INSANELY loud too..  :laugh:

:surprised: How? Where?
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #1247 on: December 17, 2009, 02:54:10 pm »
He's gonna cut a hole in the bonnet and vent it upwards (making it even louder i presume) rather than aiming it to ground under the car like on the S3.

It's akin to the days when R5GTT's got soo modded, one company decided to cut a hole in the bonnet and have the atmos DV sit outside in the open, just to be different and scare the bejesus out of OAPs everywhere.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1248 on: December 17, 2009, 05:15:36 pm »
He's gonna cut a hole in the bonnet and vent it upwards (making it even louder i presume) rather than aiming it to ground under the car like on the S3.

It's akin to the days when R5GTT's got soo modded, one company decided to cut a hole in the bonnet and have the atmos DV sit outside in the open, just to be different and scare the bejesus out of OAPs everywhere.

Errrgh.. You just compared the ED30 to a R5GTT lol..  :sad1: Ill get my coat.. lol

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #1249 on: December 17, 2009, 05:54:25 pm »
so jonny just over a year of ownership and u still have it  :xmassmiley: if u start from page one its a good read  :laugh:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline NotNormal

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #1250 on: December 17, 2009, 06:07:19 pm »
How can you disagree? He's just been running this same turbo kit on his s3... If he says it wasn't laggy like the evo then it wasn't laggyy...  :stupid:

Clearly your the  :stupid: one, i'll make it clear for you :

FQ400 turbo unit = LAGGY imo
FQ400 turbo unit with better map - still laggy but better

Jonny's S3 = impressive (going on the video's and the fact it's not full mapped) or wasn't full mapped)

Jonny's ed30 = Should be good, better spec than the S3 setup and can build upon the previous experiance gained

Easier to understand ?

I think he meant more in the context of the FQ400.. But its a different turbo, and a different engine, so really, there is always going to be a difference anyways..

Exactly, as you can read between the lines, i was refering to the actual turbo unit's spec

Wasn't being negative about your project.

Out of interest, can you post a picture of the flow difuser ?

Don't judge me by your ability !

Current daily crapper - Audi A6 Avant 3.0tdi SLine Quattro

Previous favourite rides :

BMW E92 335d M/Sport (351/520)
BMW  E92 335d SE (339/500)
Golf MK5 GT170 Diesel Sport (220/330)
Audi S4 (B6) - Noggy blue (366bhp)
Evo VI (6 ;) ) RSII - Scotia White (420bhp)
Astravan Sportive 1.9 CDTi - 190bhp
Astra GTE (MK2) Turbo (

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1251 on: December 17, 2009, 06:21:02 pm »

There are a couple more pics of the compressor in this little update, let me know if they will do, if not ill get a couple more pics for you tomorrow close up..

Bit of an update after some work today..

First of all, a couple more pictures of the turbo for a bit of scale..

So first job was to strip down the car ready to remove the standard turbo, so downpipe off.. Im going to adjust my custom 3" downpipe which I had made to work with the K04 turbo, so with use of a 3" v-band flange ill make it work with the new turbo..

Without the downpipe.. (ill use this picture as a before and after once its finished)

Drive shaft lower boost pipe and driver side wheel arch liners etc removed to make room..

Intake off, drain the oil and water out, then pull off the stock K04 turbo and manifold..

Bit of a mess..

Also a comparison shot of the K04 sat next to the BSH manifold and Owen Developments GT3076R

So with that done we hung the BSH manifold on the head, checked for fitment of the lower boost pipe, how much work would need to be done on the downpipe and clocked the turbo for the lower boost pipe fitment..

Not bad for 3 1/2 hours work!!

Tomorrow, injectors, bolt up the manifold and turbo to stay along with oil and water lines, make a start on the lower boost pipe and downpipe adjustments..

Going well so far!

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #1252 on: December 17, 2009, 06:52:11 pm »

Clearly your the  :stupid: one, i'll make it clear for you :

FQ400 turbo unit = LAGGY imo
FQ400 turbo unit with better map - still laggy but better

Jonny's S3 = impressive (going on the video's and the fact it's not full mapped) or wasn't full mapped)

Jonny's ed30 = Should be good, better spec than the S3 setup and can build upon the previous experiance gained

Easier to understand ?

Exactly, as you can read between the lines, i was refering to the actual turbo unit's spec

Wasn't being negative about your project.

Much easier, well done...  :happy2:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #1253 on: December 17, 2009, 08:36:08 pm »

Errrgh.. You just compared the ED30 to a R5GTT lol..  :sad1: Ill get my coat.. lol

Jonny - seriously? You're going to cut up your bonnet?  :scared:

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1254 on: December 17, 2009, 09:01:28 pm »
Jonny - seriously? You're going to cut up your bonnet?  :scared:

Yes, and it will look very neat, it wont be easy to spot it (unless there is a flame popping out).. I have a cunning plan!  :wink:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #1255 on: December 17, 2009, 09:44:03 pm »
Just hope it wont be the next big craze with the Saxo boys  :scared:

Flames from the bonnet will look sick.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #1256 on: December 17, 2009, 11:59:56 pm »
lol Was only trying to explain what u meant about dump tube thru bonnet! It'll certainly be a first jc, hope it comes out good. I would never compare a Gti to the R5GTT, that's just rude and plain wrong. Build is looking good tho.  :happy2: 

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1257 on: December 18, 2009, 12:21:20 am »
lol Was only trying to explain what u meant about dump tube thru bonnet! It'll certainly be a first jc, hope it comes out good. I would never compare a Gti to the R5GTT, that's just rude and plain wrong. Build is looking good tho.  :happy2: 

Ha, I know what you meant mate.. Yup, should be pretty mad.. Mocked it all up today and it will be possible!!  :smiley: Going to have another dump tube made up so I can switch between them easily..

Were going to test it out the bonnet first (with the bonnet removed) first before we go cutting anything, just to check if its going to be sooo stupidly loud that I wont be able to get away with it..

Its a bit of fun, and like you say, its a bit different too  :grin:

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #1258 on: December 18, 2009, 11:00:20 am »

Ha, I know what you meant mate.. Yup, should be pretty mad.. Mocked it all up today and it will be possible!!  :smiley: Going to have another dump tube made up so I can switch between them easily..

Were going to test it out the bonnet first (with the bonnet removed) first before we go cutting anything, just to check if its going to be sooo stupidly loud that I wont be able to get away with it..

Its a bit of fun, and like you say, its a bit different too  :grin:

I await the out come!  :happy2:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
« Reply #1259 on: December 18, 2009, 01:05:22 pm »
yeah good idea re making 2 versions...cos i'm not sure how road legal it is with a dump tube coming out of the bonnet lol.

err will it collect water should u drive it in the rain (if its gonna be pointing straight up into the heavens??)

then again it'll be soo hot that it'll vapourise anything....haha i can see it now, your ED30 will look like a steam engine  :signLOL:

(only messing...comparing ur car to a R5GTT and now a steam engine lol)