Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 508932 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #1275 on: December 18, 2009, 10:27:43 pm »
Is it running the hta compresor wheel?

Nope, standard Garrett.. But when the Garrett GTX-R billet wheel is made available in that size ill be changing, should see a nice little increase in response and flow..

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/news/race_updates/GTX_R_Turbochargers.html

Only just started but the wheel should be available early neat year  :smiley:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #1276 on: December 18, 2009, 10:39:18 pm »

Nope, standard Garrett.. But when the Garrett GTX-R billet wheel is made available in that size ill be changing, should see a nice little increase in response and flow..

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/news/race_updates/GTX_R_Turbochargers.html

I may just hang on to my GT2871 for a bit now :innocent:
Golf R gone.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1277 on: December 18, 2009, 10:47:50 pm »

I may just hang on to my GT2871 for a bit now :innocent:

Yup, you have lots of options with the 2871.. Owens can do all sorts to it, really would make a difference, and if you can get the billet wheel on there it would be awesome! Super quick spool!

Offline Ryan_Evo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #1278 on: December 19, 2009, 04:59:25 pm »
I thought that, i personally wouldn't use a fp product either and was almost certain owens wouldn't warrant a garrett turbo with a fp wheel.Good news from Garrett on there version of the hta wheel , little bit big at the moment but i would go for one for mine when they become available.

I don't think there is a massive amount owens could do to the gt2871r , could port/polish,uprate bearings and fit a larger compressor cover but none of that would increase flow much. The exhaust housing could be enlarged if your not already running the .82 version but with that strange adapter and being internally gate won't help much anyway.
Should be capable of a real 380ish which is more than enough.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1279 on: December 19, 2009, 05:09:52 pm »
I thought that, i personally wouldn't use a fp product either and was almost certain owens wouldn't warrant a garrett turbo with a fp wheel.Good news from Garrett on there version of the hta wheel , little bit big at the moment but i would go for one for mine when they become available.

I don't think there is a massive amount owens could do to the gt2871r , could port/polish,uprate bearings and fit a larger compressor cover but none of that would increase flow much. The exhaust housing could be enlarged if your not already running the .82 version but with that strange adapter and being internally gate won't help much anyway.
Should be capable of a real 380ish which is more than enough.

Yeah, to be honest I just think that the Garrett billet wheels will be superior, probably more expensive too but at the end of the day, its not cheap, so if you try and do it cheaply more often than not you get an inferior end product..

Well, again, billet wheel (they will be producing one for the 2871) ported/polished, bored wastegate, wrc bearings and cages etc etc.. Would help for sure..

Anyways, bit of a teaser pic after todays progress..

"The purple pedestrian pleaser" (as Andy called it) lol..

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1280 on: December 19, 2009, 06:34:17 pm »
Update from todays work!!

So finished up the injector install, inlet manifold is back on and bolted up!

New RS4 injectors in..

And the inlet manifold bolted back up!

Wastegate is on the manifold, turbo is clocked into its final position, all the lines are connected and there to stay..

And the money shot!!

Tucked up!

All being well the car should be running Monday, we will see!! Fingers crossed :)

Offline Ryan_Evo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #1281 on: December 19, 2009, 07:14:08 pm »
nice one jonny , been trying to get some info on the rs4 injectors ,i don't really know why  :laugh: but very little info on there capabilities suffice to say they must be at there limits with a gt3076.
I would be very interested to know your duty cycles when you get it mapped.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #1282 on: December 19, 2009, 07:16:17 pm »
you may have posted this before but will you be going for the same map as on the S3. but without the running in period as the S3 was basically rebuilt from the bottom up?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1283 on: December 19, 2009, 07:38:06 pm »
nice one jonny , been trying to get some info on the rs4 injectors ,i don't really know why  :laugh: but very little info on there capabilities suffice to say they must be at there limits with a gt3076.
I would be very interested to know your duty cycles when you get it mapped.

Its a bit of a grey area to be honest.. There are some test results out there which came to the conclusion that the S3 injectors actually flow more than RS4's but thats just not true.. S3 headline before the AFR's get dangerous is around 400hp, the RS4's, closer to 500.. The 3076 will out flow the RS4 injectors easily..

Im sure ill be able to get some figures on duty cycles at different boost levels..

you may have posted this before but will you be going for the same map as on the S3. but without the running in period as the S3 was basically rebuilt from the bottom up?

Yup, same map.. But yeah this time I will be able to start logging and adjusting settings from the start as the engine is ready to go (upto a point of course)

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #1284 on: December 19, 2009, 07:59:39 pm »
is the Tial EWG port facing downwards at the mo?

must be a bit of bit of bugger to route the dump tube back round to the bonnet side! Or am I missing something....

Offline nick-barnes07

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #1285 on: December 19, 2009, 09:49:24 pm »
looking good johny, you dont hang about, bet you get special rates at the garage you use as you must be keeping them in business !!! cant wait to see a video of it going !! top thread once again  :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1286 on: December 20, 2009, 12:58:31 am »
is the Tial EWG port facing downwards at the mo?

must be a bit of bit of bugger to route the dump tube back round to the bonnet side! Or am I missing something....

To start with the dump pipe will be routed down to the floor, to have the dump pipe out the bonnet is going to require quite a few changes, new intake, fabricate a new dump tube, modify the bonnet, re route some hoses for the heater etc.. Should only take a day but ill just get it up and running first, then do it..

looking good johny, you dont hang about, bet you get special rates at the garage you use as you must be keeping them in business !!! cant wait to see a video of it going !! top thread once again  :happy2:

Ha, well I dont really have a huge amount of patience unfortunately, but Andy has been doing a great job.. Yeah, well depending on weather, I should be able to post something up early next week once its running!  :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1287 on: December 22, 2009, 01:58:11 pm »
Ok, so lots more progress made..

Ill be able to get pics up later today hopefully, but the car will be finished tomorrow.. Can't wait to have a play and see how it compares to the Stage 2+ K04 turbo!!  :smiley:

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #1288 on: December 22, 2009, 02:33:56 pm »
 :jumpmove:

It will be frustrating trying to test it  properly in this weather... I am stuck at the minute waiting for vw assistance, what tyres are you going to be using at this time of year, not r888's??  :scared:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1289 on: December 22, 2009, 02:46:02 pm »
:jumpmove:

It will be frustrating trying to test it  properly in this weather... I am stuck at the minute waiting for vw assistance, what tyres are you going to be using at this time of year, not r888's??  :scared:

Some of the main roads round here aren't too bad now, so fingers crossed there is no more snow tonight and we can do some meaningful logging tomorrow..

Got T1R's on at the mo, but as soon as the new wheels arrive, there going to be fitted with a set of 255/35/18 R888's yeah.. Used them all last winter in the snow etc..

I have another car too though, so I will only use the Golf when I can, and when its sensible..