Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 508818 times)

Offline Bobby

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
  • SIX SIX SIX
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #1335 on: December 27, 2009, 02:22:07 pm »
Best off leaving the 'testing' to the man in the know!!

Where are the updates man, x-mas is now over...!!!.. :xmaspresent:

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1336 on: December 27, 2009, 04:07:37 pm »

Shaping up really well  :notworthy:.

One thing I noticed is no heatshield between that beautifully sculptured manifold and the gold wrapped Twintake. Do you feel that the gold wrapping is sufficient in that area?

Thanks Robin.. Yeah im very pleased with the car already, and its only going to get better from now on..

Im changing things around a fair bit under the bonnet, intake and dump tube wise pretty soon so I wont need a heatshield as such for the intake.. All will become clear  :smiley:

Best off leaving the 'testing' to the man in the know!!

Where are the updates man, x-mas is now over...!!!.. :xmaspresent:

Haha.. Well next week at some point the car is going in for a full check over now its had some miles put on it, and making plans for what we can do in time for Santa Pod really.. There is a HUGE list and not all of it will be done in time, but ill start cracking on now..

Probably another couple of months work before its running to its full potential really..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #1337 on: December 27, 2009, 06:09:31 pm »

Have I mentioned the R8 plans? Didn't think I had lol.. Anyways, yeah, good guess haha..

Nope just a wild guess, get it done  :evilgrin:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #1338 on: December 28, 2009, 11:20:27 am »
Looking like it's all coming together mate and can't wait to see it on the 17th (if I can get there now that my mate has let me down  :sad1:)

I would like to bet that you don't get 110 miles out of that amount of fuel though...  :signLOL:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1339 on: December 28, 2009, 11:41:00 am »
I would like to bet that you don't get 110 miles out of that amount of fuel though...  :signLOL:

It's actualy pretty impressive on fuel.. I have done a full tank over the last couple of days and got 345 miles, with probably another 20 or so to go if I pushed it.. That's 'mixed' driving lol..

So what's that.. Just over 26MPG.. Not that it bothers me at all, just shows it's not terrible anyways.. I think on a run over 32MPG no worries..!

Don't have a spare seat otherwise I could have got you mate, make sure you get yourself there  :smiley:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #1340 on: December 28, 2009, 05:19:51 pm »
Do you know how much your turbo flows in kg/s at all? also any idea at what BHP the standard injectors should be swapped out for the rs4 ones?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1341 on: December 28, 2009, 07:50:56 pm »
Do you know how much your turbo flows in kg/s at all? also any idea at what BHP the standard injectors should be swapped out for the rs4 ones?

All of the compressor maps are available on the Garrett site for the off the shelf turbos, I have no idea about my turbo, but I know there is a big improvement in all areas over the last 3076 with the .63 A/R exhaust housing that I was using..

Anything bigger than a K04 and you should go to a larger injector.. What HP..? I would say that the S3 injectors are good for 'around' 400hp but I don't really see the point in making such a small step over a fully sorted K04 set up..
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 07:53:32 pm by jonnyc »

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #1342 on: January 02, 2010, 08:25:02 am »
Any updates on this yet Jonny, like some vid would be nice, or ate you still snow covered where you live??
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline rubber toe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #1343 on: January 02, 2010, 09:54:22 am »
love this car , keep up the good work mate  :happy2:

Looking forward to hearing the results from the pod  :popcornsoda:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1344 on: January 03, 2010, 04:13:36 pm »
Any updates on this yet Jonny, like some vid would be nice, or ate you still snow covered where you live??

Little bit of an update..  :smiley:

Well done a couple more bits, the car went back into ACR for a check over after the first 1000 miles had been covered, seals, gaskets, check everything is dry, nothing is getting hot etc etc.. Oil and filter, just general check up really.. All was perfect, so we went up a little on the boost, from 17.5 psi to 22 psi (which is as much as I would like to run on stock motor) and its CRAZY fast now.. Seriously, very impressive.. Big turbo with the DSG is amazing, I seriously love this car now!!

Any doubters out there that don't believe there is much on an improvement to be had over a K04 turbo, well.. Think again!! Its night and day, and mine wasn't slow as it was!

I think so long as its dry, 11's no problems at Santa Pod, first run, no worries!!  :P

Only problem at the moment is that the roads are covered with snow AGAIN round here, just as it was looking like they were about to dry up!.. Still not even had the car on a dry piece of road since the turbo has been done  :scared: Only really been able to use the full potential from 4th gear up to now in almost freezing wet roads..

Still, with the progressive throttle map, and superb response of this turbo, once your over 3500rpm it feels almost N/A in power delivery, like a big V8 rather than a forced induction 2.0L 4 pot.. Its so so nice to drive, incredibly tractable controllable and seriously fast on all types of roads!!

In terms of any video, I do have a run that I did on my mates private driveway, but its in the wet, and I only use full power in 3rd / 4th.. Still, from a standstil to 105mph (indicated on the speedo) in 8.7 seconds seemed pretty good to me in a FWD car on 225 T1-R's in the wet at 0.5 degrees C with a full tank of fuel and a 85KG passenger :happy2:

Also that was running only 17.5psi of boost.. Now with the increased boost limit, well, we will find out soon enough!.. I seriously can't wait for a run at Santa Pod in the dry, with the increased boost, 10 litres in the tank, another 100KG of weight out and 255 width R888's!!

Think its going to shock a few people!!  :grin:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #1345 on: January 03, 2010, 05:29:41 pm »
 :happy2:  :popcornsoda:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Phil_T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Audi S3
    • Email
« Reply #1346 on: January 03, 2010, 05:32:21 pm »
Great car, fair play to you going all out on the golf as the S3 was mental too which I hope I can get mine somewhere near one of the cars lol. Keep up the good work

For Sale - Airlift Performance Struts & Accuair Elevel/Ilevel Management - 18" BBS E28 Magnesium Split Wheels, Carbon Fibre Front Splitter
Old Car 2009 Audi S3 365bhp Gone - New Car 2013 C63 Amg Now With 525bhp

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #1347 on: January 03, 2010, 05:34:24 pm »
Stop saying these things Jonny. I was just about over going big turbo until I saw this :laugh:

Can't wait to see it go down the pod :driver:
Golf R gone.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #1348 on: January 03, 2010, 05:50:30 pm »
Stop saying these things Jonny. I was just about over going big turbo until I saw this :laugh:

I bet you will end up BT. Dont think the k04 will do it for you mate.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1349 on: January 03, 2010, 05:58:58 pm »

The K04 turbo has huge potential.. I think your 100% right the way your going about modifying the car, to extract all of the available performance before jumping to the conclusion that its not quick enough.. And going big turbo etc..

By the way, had a play with an MTM TT-RS on the way back from Newcastle today..  :grin: :grin: MTM Map and Exhaust.. Around 430hp apparently.. Errrm.. See yaaaaa!! Im confident even the K04 would have walked on it.. So glad I cancelled my order now :scared: His face was a picture..  :grin: :grin: