Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 508906 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #1410 on: January 06, 2010, 06:32:02 pm »
I think it would be cheaper than you think to swap the engine.

I was actually referring to doing what Jonny has done to a BWA engine. So same as what is in a K03 GTi

A complete S3 engine went recently for a shade under £2k (complete with Loom Turbo etc)

It would be a straight swap from a vRS to the S3 engine, reflash the ECU to take into account it's got a bigger turbo and hey presto

They lot could be done for around £3-3.5k then sell the BWA engine for around £1200-1400 so about £2.5k overall

A K04 conversion for me at my level of tune would be Approx £2600 (i only need the turbo, injectors and associated gaskets etc) so the engine swap would work out about the same

So in theory i could do what jonny has done but i just doubt that the BWA engine would cope at the bottom end. As i said earlier their must be some reason VAG strengthened it in the first place for the K04 versions.

Carl :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1411 on: January 06, 2010, 06:49:17 pm »
Awesome Jonny, I cannot wait to see it go at The Pod  :xmassmiley:

:happy2: Are you still just running Stage 1 Tom? If so get it sorted!!  :wink:

I was actually referring to doing what Jonny has done to a BWA engine. So same as what is in a K03 GTi

A complete S3 engine went recently for a shade under £2k (complete with Loom Turbo etc)

It would be a straight swap from a vRS to the S3 engine, reflash the ECU to take into account it's got a bigger turbo and hey presto

They lot could be done for around £3-3.5k then sell the BWA engine for around £1200-1400 so about £2.5k overall

A K04 conversion for me at my level of tune would be Approx £2600 (i only need the turbo, injectors and associated gaskets etc) so the engine swap would work out about the same

So in theory i could do what jonny has done but i just doubt that the BWA engine would cope at the bottom end. As i said earlier their must be some reason VAG strengthened it in the first place for the K04 versions.

Alternatively, drop in a set of rods into yours which would cost about a grand all in..

Then go and do whatever you want to it with confidence!..  :smiley:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #1412 on: January 06, 2010, 06:54:57 pm »
Awesome Jonny, I cannot wait to see it go at The Pod  :xmassmiley:

:happy2: Are you still just running Stage 1 Tom? If so get it sorted!!  :wink:

I am unfortunately and it's looking like it's gonna be that way for a while!  :sad1:

It's looking like me and the misses are gonna be getting our first house this year so every spare penny is now going to the house fund instead of the car fund!  :sick:

TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1413 on: January 06, 2010, 07:01:20 pm »
I am unfortunately and it's looking like it's gonna be that way for a while!  :sad1:

It's looking like me and the misses are gonna be getting our first house this year so every spare penny is now going to the house fund instead of the car fund!  :sick:

:grin: Come on, just a little DSG map?? She wont mind..  :happy2: haha..

Im sure that you would drop into the 12's at Pod with just a Stage 1 DSG and Engine map :)

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #1414 on: January 06, 2010, 07:12:53 pm »

:grin: Come on, just a little DSG map?? She wont mind..  :happy2: haha..

Im sure that you would drop into the 12's at Pod with just a Stage 1 DSG and Engine map :)

That is definately on the cards for the coming months, i'll be able to keep that under the radar too!  :jumping:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #1415 on: January 06, 2010, 07:36:51 pm »
Alternatively, drop in a set of rods into yours which would cost about a grand all in..

Now that does sound a better option. Any links or recommendations as to which rods to get?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1416 on: January 06, 2010, 07:38:23 pm »

Now that does sound a better option. Any links or recommendations as to which rods to get?

Integrated engineering do drop in rods for the 200hp 2.0T FSI..

http://www.intengineering.com/Rods/20-FSI/sc238049-1-2//page/1/checkForLanding/true

As I say, for a rod change your probably looking around £1K all in.. Dont quote me on it though.. But around that figure

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #1417 on: January 06, 2010, 08:00:42 pm »
I take it even though it says 2.0 FSI (not TFSi) they are still the correct ones?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #1418 on: January 06, 2010, 08:14:25 pm »
apologies for the thread jack jonny
@mater
there you go carl get the bottom end done,

then speak to regal and get one of these GT28RS turbo kits
http://www.vag-tuner.com/acatalog/Dbilas_2.0TFSi_Turbo_Kits.html

get them to remove this dbilias, and DV relocation jobbie to save you a few more pennuies as you have all that already, get yourself some S3 injectors(micky32 off brisky has aset for £90 if you getthere before me :P)and you have a gt28RS powered skoda vRS that wont blow up(possibly fastest mk2 vRS in UK)

add a little water meth and yoou could have a graph like this

@jonnyc

how are you adjusting all your settings, have you gone for the revo generic Gt30 map, then done logs yourself and adjusting via SPS, or is it REVO reccomended settings.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #1419 on: January 06, 2010, 08:21:14 pm »
I think i'd prefer it without the Water/Meth kit

360bhp sounds good to me on standard internals. I would say that was more than enough including the 350lb/ft and still holding over 300 from 3900 - 6800 RPM

That with a diff would make for one seriously quick car.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #1420 on: January 06, 2010, 08:35:50 pm »
dan did bend a piston iirc though, not sure what map it was on though, he also came from a lower spec engine Leon TFSI sport i think. he now has uprated internals

even without the meth its still not slow by any means. not quite the GT30 output though.

what is your final output prediction going to be Jonny? you going to put water meth in her or is it not required with your mods. you could make more power whilststaying on pump fuel then?

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #1421 on: January 06, 2010, 08:49:43 pm »

Sorry Carl I misunderstood you, I thought you meant to change to DSG and keep your existing engine, which cannot be done as you couldn't get a matching code from a VRs to mate up and work with a DSG. The engines are the same, but the mapping is different. I spoke to Steve at Statllers this afternoon about it to get my original answer.
Swapping to an ED30/S3 engine and DSG would work for sure :happy2:

Golf R gone.

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #1422 on: January 06, 2010, 08:51:08 pm »
i think the GT28RS (GT2860 basically) is very "last year" now....

GT2871R is the base...then GT3071R..and those who are bonkers can go for a GT35R.

Dan's Leon uses the APR GT2871R btw.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #1423 on: January 06, 2010, 08:52:54 pm »
I think i'd prefer it without the Water/Meth kit

360bhp sounds good to me on standard internals. I would say that was more than enough including the 350lb/ft and still holding over 300 from 3900 - 6800 RPM

That with a diff would make for one seriously quick car.

I still have a GT2871 kit for sale :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #1424 on: January 06, 2010, 09:07:37 pm »
christ thats a spanner in the works full gt2871 kit for 1200 with engine internals upgrade for 1k, thats some pretty big gains for not much money. thats some good BHP/£ there carl