Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 508798 times)

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #1425 on: January 06, 2010, 11:00:23 pm »
Haha, yep.. Little bit larger than the K04, but drivability is amazing.. Seriously surprised me I have to say..

That is mental, it's only like half a second off matching a face-lift 997 Turbo to 100 in worse conditions.....  :signLOL:

DSG doesn't seem to give a rats ass about the power which must be a reassuring thing?

Oh its very quick, and from 60mph its amazing.. Not yet managed to use the power in 2nd gear but thats going to be pretty rapid firing through the gears..

Yeah, the DSG box is coping fine, takes it all in its stride, I think its a combination of obviously the Revo Stage 2 DSG map but also the progressive engine mapping and way that the boost on this turbo comes in so smoothly..

I feel that the gearbox is less stressed than with the K04 to be honest, its all a lot smoother than it was with Stage 2+ K04.. And faster too! I think you can probably tell but I couldn't be happier with it..  :smiley:

Possibly a keeper or sell it on once it's done? Also what are you expecting as a terminal speed on the 1/4?

Luke.
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1426 on: January 06, 2010, 11:55:13 pm »
how are you adjusting all your settings, have you gone for the revo generic Gt30 map, then done logs yourself and adjusting via SPS, or is it REVO reccomended settings.

Im running the Revo stage 4 beta file, which is running the car beautifully.. As for boost timing and fueling, thats all adjusted via the SPS I have after logs etc.. Just as normal really..  :happy2:

360bhp sounds good to me on standard internals. I would say that was more than enough including the 350lb/ft and still holding over 300 from 3900 - 6800 RPM

Thats achievable with a bolt on OEM K04 conversion.. Or is that what you mean??  :ashamed:

what is your final output prediction going to be Jonny? you going to put water meth in her or is it not required with your mods. you could make more power whilststaying on pump fuel then?

I think so yeah.. Im aiming for 500hp on pump fuel with no additives (NOS / WaterMeth) etc etc.. Revving to 8500rpm at 1.8 bar I think that will be achievable, but we will have to see! Again, its not really the power output, I just want to go as far as I can on this turbo / engine set up on pump fuel only.. As im sure you know the limit is always going to be the knock

Possibly a keeper or sell it on once it's done? Also what are you expecting as a terminal speed on the 1/4?

To be honest at the moment im so much in the middle of the project that I dont really see myself selling it, but, I said that about the S3 too.. If a sensible offer comes along then I would consider it for sure..

Based on the K04 running almost 116mph I think low to mid 120's should be possible..  :smiley:
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #1427 on: January 07, 2010, 06:01:07 pm »

360bhp sounds good to me on standard internals. I would say that was more than enough including the 350lb/ft and still holding over 300 from 3900 - 6800 RPM

Thats achievable with a bolt on OEM K04 conversion.. Or is that what you mean??  :ashamed:

I don't think i'd get 360bhp/350lb/ft with a KO4 conversion on a BWA engine :confused: (well unless i go to Superchips  :signLOL:)

Biggest i have seen on DD RR is 324bhp and 320lb/ft and thats a car thats gone from Stage 2+ which i am now to KO4 conversion.

Maybe if you uprated rods and pistons  or used RS4 injectors but i haven't seen a BWA get that power yet from a KO4.

Have you seen one Jonny?

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1428 on: January 07, 2010, 06:06:26 pm »
Update..

Ok so managed to get another couple of hours on the car today and made some progress with the new intake system that Ill be running..

The reason for this is to make room for the bonnet exit external wastegate dump tube.. Its going to require a fair bit of work, but im sure that it will all be worth it in the end!

Just to note that Im using the same diameter pipe work and MAF housing that I have been running with the Twintake, so im confident that I will not encounter any problems in that area..

So first we fabricated up the bends and mocked up the intake for fitment..

Im using an Evoms filter and filter neck so there was a bit of cutting involved..

And finally the complete mocked up intake off the car.. (marked up with the placement for supporting bracket tab and recirculation bung)

Just a few more bits to do once the intake is fully sorted..

• Relocate catch can and charcoal canister to pasenger side
  • Relocate washer bottle to passenger side to allow for a 76MM cold air feed to filter
  • Fabricate filter heatshield

So im really pleased with that! The intake is now going off to be welded up and the pipe work ceramic coated..

Recently there has been some kind of issue over 6000rpm where the car felt almost like the throttle was being closed partially, we couldn't see anything on the logs and everything seemed to be fine throughout the car so I decided to change the MAF sensor to a new item and see if there was any difference..

The car now feels FAR stronger, much more responsive and its stronger over 6000rpm than it has ever been, so that seems to have sorted it out.. On close inspection the MAF sensor that came out looked 100% fine (it has covered 35000 miles from new) but obviously its just gone bad.. Glad thats sorted now!

After testing the car before and after with the old and new MAF sensor I decided to fit the Forge Motorsports FSI valve, I had been running the completely standard diaphragm valve..

One off black anodized valve.. (ignore the nasty looking boost tap, getting a nice new one made up on the lathe)

Driving the car now with the new valve it again feels stronger.. All these little bits are adding up and the car feels better than ever!

So thats about it really, should have it all on early next week, along with lots of other little bits that im thinking of..

Oh.. And just a couple of teasers!

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #1429 on: January 07, 2010, 06:13:18 pm »
Ahhhh, got yourself some wideband sensors  :happy2: Looking good Jonny!

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #1430 on: January 07, 2010, 09:31:00 pm »
hurry up AND GET THAT INTAKE ON!  :party:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #1431 on: January 07, 2010, 09:44:58 pm »
that intake style is very much like what alot of the jap cars running BTs use. mounting the filter close to the turbo with out any right angle bends to disrupt flow should be.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #1432 on: January 07, 2010, 10:11:10 pm »
I take it that Twintake is going your way Joe?  :grin:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #1433 on: January 08, 2010, 12:14:34 pm »
Awesome Jonny, I am going to be having  a good perve at The Pod  :drool:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1434 on: January 08, 2010, 12:33:44 pm »
Awesome Jonny, I am going to be having  a good perve at The Pod  :drool:

Im trying my best to have it looking respectable for then, but I have a feeling that with this weather its going to be a struggle to get everything I want sorted done in time..  :sad1:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #1435 on: January 08, 2010, 12:57:54 pm »
The Stack discplay doesn't have enough rev numbers on it.... :wink:

I also demand you flock the dash and doorcard tops.
Sideways yo!

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #1436 on: January 08, 2010, 01:53:02 pm »
looking very good jonny  :happy2:

interesting about the maf making a big difference - been having a few issues c5krpm with mine where the power stutters a bit

do you have the part number?

thanks
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1437 on: January 08, 2010, 02:52:02 pm »
looking very good jonny  :happy2:

interesting about the maf making a big difference - been having a few issues c5krpm with mine where the power stutters a bit

do you have the part number?

Thanks mate, Hmm.. Not off the top of my head but its just a standard ED30 MAF.. They will go after time, and do so very progressively, making it hard to feel the deterioration so worth a try..

From now on ill just drop a new MAF in mine every 4k miles along with a cam follower, new plugs, oil and filter change and DSG service.. Just to keep everything in perfect form..

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #1438 on: January 08, 2010, 04:03:10 pm »
I know you said that you've changed the intake to make room for the external wastegate dump, so do you think that the new design will perform worse than the Twintake or just as well?
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #1439 on: January 08, 2010, 04:05:59 pm »
Did you run the bsh intake for a while on the s3 and whats your opinion on that one?
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE