Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 508329 times)

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #570 on: March 12, 2009, 05:33:46 pm »
Thought you were changing the front/rear bumpers buddy??  :confused: Sorry if I've missed something!  :innocent:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #571 on: March 12, 2009, 05:39:43 pm »
Jonny, Id' personally put the standard lower front grill back on as it looks civilised - but thats my humble opinion and someone else might think it looks better without.  :happy2:   BTW, you could stick another aftermarket front bumper/grill on...  I prefer the standard one though.

Yeah, pretty sure thats what im going to end up doing but we'll see..

Thought you were changing the front/rear bumpers buddy??  :confused: Sorry if I've missed something!  :innocent:

Well, there has hardly been any interest to be honest, so ill leave it for now.. Plus the vinyl only cost me £20, thats enough to do the front and wing mirrors too..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #572 on: March 12, 2009, 07:08:20 pm »
Hi Jonny, just got upto date with your project well done fella    :happy2:.

I've been thinking of wrapping the front and back middle section in black, how did you get on wrapping the rear removable toe eye disk, bearing in mind you have to keep popping it out on track days.

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #573 on: March 12, 2009, 08:58:38 pm »
Update..

Hey all..

Managed to get the rear diffuses section of the standard ED30 rear bumper vinyl wrapped today in Matte Black.. Looks really good, makes the rear of the car appear much wider and lower to the ground..

You can also spot the rear of the seats in this one!

Really pleased with it! Im planning on having the mirrors, and possibly the centre section of the Votex / OEM ED30 front splitter done in the same Matte Black finish.. Think that could tie in pretty nicely..

Im going to try and neaten up the front intercooler grill tomorrow, I have a feeling its not going to look right and at the moment im pretty much decided that im going back to a standard lower grill, doesn't seem like I can get the quality of finish that im after, I dont want that to let down the overall appearance of the car..

Anyways let me know what you guys think!

Jonny
looks great that mate , been toying with the idea of getting this done for ages , how does it look around the lip where the tail pipes come out ?  who done it , how much ?   :happy2:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #574 on: March 12, 2009, 11:03:41 pm »
That looks awesome Jonny. Its amazing how much of a difference a cheap little mod like that can make. It gets a big  :happy2: from me. Keep up the good work fella  :wink:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #575 on: March 12, 2009, 11:13:59 pm »
Hope this answers all of the questions above..

I had the vinyl work done by a friend of mine, as a favor.. He left the exhaust trim surround so I did that myself, looks good, if you get extremely close to it, then you would be able to find an edge around the exhaust trim, but you would have to be about 6 inches away lol..

The toe eye was remove, wrapped and then replaced, so it can be taken in and out with no problem.

You can all have a close look on 29th.. Well, thats if you haven't all had it done by then too  :wink: :wink:

Offline P10YRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #576 on: March 13, 2009, 07:56:59 am »
Looks 10 times better with the wrap..  I prefer the look when the rear defuser (excuse my spelling) is black.

Your car is amazing tho Jonny!.

Offline CarrG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #577 on: March 13, 2009, 08:29:18 am »
Just caught up with this. Looks great Jonny love the seats and the vinyl really suit sthe car. Keep it up.  :smiley:
K1 Revo 2+
Ibis RS3
VW California 180 DSG "Candy"!

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #578 on: March 13, 2009, 10:14:29 am »
Top notch Jonny - Looks brilliant and really sorts out the rear of the ED30, I think the fully colour-coded standard rear end is a bit too much myself.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline t.m.

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #579 on: March 18, 2009, 05:02:11 pm »
..Jonny can you tell me the weight of the rear bench and passenger seat, in kg, aproximetly? Thinking of pulling them out before the run! Thank you! Btw. best car ever...and a one hell of a project!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #580 on: March 18, 2009, 05:59:08 pm »
Update..

Hey all..

Managed to get the rear diffuses section of the standard ED30 rear bumper vinyl wrapped today in Matte Black.. Looks really good, makes the rear of the car appear much wider and lower to the ground..

You can also spot the rear of the seats in this one!

Really pleased with it! Im planning on having the mirrors, and possibly the centre section of the Votex / OEM ED30 front splitter done in the same Matte Black finish.. Think that could tie in pretty nicely..

Im going to try and neaten up the front intercooler grill tomorrow, I have a feeling its not going to look right and at the moment im pretty much decided that im going back to a standard lower grill, doesn't seem like I can get the quality of finish that im after, I dont want that to let down the overall appearance of the car..

Jonny
But thats adding weight jonny isnt it :signLOL:

Looking nice mate :happy2:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #581 on: March 18, 2009, 06:14:30 pm »
Update..

Hey all..

Jonny

looks good, who did it and how much ?

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #582 on: March 20, 2009, 09:42:08 am »
I think the black looks great  :happy2:

I wanted this doing on my car before i even picked it up but havent had the balls to get it painted as yet, can anybody photoshop the rear pic to show what it would look like on a tornado red one??
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #583 on: March 20, 2009, 10:38:08 am »
I think the black looks great  :happy2:

I wanted this doing on my car before i even picked it up but havent had the balls to get it painted as yet, can anybody photoshop the rear pic to show what it would look like on a tornado red one??

If you put that request up in the MK5 section i am sure some one will help,we try when possible to keep Jonny's build thread clean, as you can see, even with just  mostly his stuff its 30 odd pages.  :drinking:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #584 on: March 24, 2009, 08:19:26 pm »
Update..

Ok, in preparation for this Sunday Santa Pod event ill be having some bit done on the car this week, hopefully its going to make a difference!

Got this beauty on the way..

(The pics show the bonnet without the cut out for the front VW badge, the bonnet I have will feature the cut out)

VWR carbon bonnet.. Its the first bonnet made specifically for the MK5 GTI that is 100% carbon, all of the other bonnets out there, Seibon, Osir, carbon speed etc etc are fibre glass with a carbon skin (not that they would tell you that, but they are)

No offense to anyone out there with one of the brand I have mentioned, they are majoring on looks over weight saving, nothing wrong with that at all, but I wanted the lightest parts I could get, that's why I have decided to wait for this one!

Autoclave dry carbon, double sided.. Weights just over 4KG (Standard bonnet is 14.75KG) so well worth it! As its so light I will allso be able to run without a bonnet lifter, just have to get used to holing it open I guess.. Maybes not though, Ill have to see how much its fired open by the one on the car, I suspect it may be a big aggressive lol..

All in all this bonnet is going to save me just over 11KG, maybe a touch more if I decide to go with no lifter.. High up weight over the front end, so for sure im looking forward to getting it on the car and seeing how it feels / looks..

I really love the seats but like I mentioned when I had the fitted, I have a couple of plans for making them a little more individual..

Heres a pretty quick PS of the plan.. Gives you an idea anyways.. (obviously both seats would be done)

I have the vinyl being made up currently, its matched to the car colour, not that you would really notice, but I was after the closest white to CW as possible..

Also I have decided to wrap my mirrors, and mid section of my splitter in Matte black, same as the diffuser section of the rear bumper. This should tie the wheels in a little more to the body work, getting the vinyl for both of these jobs

So a couple of aesthetic mods there really, just finishing touches to be honest..

Tomorrow I should get the bonnet on, and all of the parts wrapped up. Ill post pics after the Santa Pod event this Sunday..

Obviously the bonnet is going to help performance but also got a couple of plans for some pure performance mods..

This week ill be having the car set up a little different, running a load of front camber doesnt really help when running the car down the 1/4 mile, so ill be winding a bit of that off, going to full stiff on the rear dampers, lowering the car all round and adding a couple more MM of rake, should all help!

Also got a few more little weight saving bits that will be done for the Santa Pod event..

* Removing all mats from the car 2KG
* No spare wheel or jack etc 15KG
* Sound deadening removed from under carpet 10KG
* Front & Rear wheel arch liners removed 2KG

Add that to the following that has already been done since the last event..

* Recaro seats 15KG
* Carbon Bonnet 11KG
* Front exhaust silencer removed 4KG

So thats another 59KG out of the car since the 1st Feb Santa Pod event, and the car is running far stronger too.. If the weather holds out (no snow this time hopefully) which should really help the 60ft times, then im hoping for some good times! The aim is realistically to get into the 12.6 bracket, I know its a big ask, but should be fun trying!!

Thats about it for now!!

Jonny