Make a donation

Author Topic: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..  (Read 509117 times)

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
Re: Jonnyc's MK5 ED30 Build Thread..
« Reply #1080 on: June 23, 2009, 12:26:20 pm »
Im intrigued, please do tell  :confused:

Im really keen to get the boot and rear windows done soon as possible as the weight is unbelievable in the stock parts.. Plan is carbon boot with polycarbonate rear 3 windows, that lot should save about 40kg!!

Holy sh*t, I didn't know they weighed that much  :surprised: That should help then  :happy2:

The boot and window complete weighs about 40kg! Crazy.. Just a shame that im going to have to sort out the carbon boot myself as no one actually makes a 'carbon' boot.. Plenty of poorly fitting fibre glass items on the market though..

Im hoping to get another 10kg or so out of the car today.. No idea where from, but there must be something left that I can put in the big box in the garage! haha..

Thought about poly carb rear windows a few times but cant help thinking it wouldnt look as high quality / oem

The kit im looking at looks fantastic.. If you look after them well then they look like glass
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #1081 on: June 23, 2009, 02:29:55 pm »
Im intrigued, please do tell  :confused:

Im really keen to get the boot and rear windows done soon as possible as the weight is unbelievable in the stock parts.. Plan is carbon boot with polycarbonate rear 3 windows, that lot should save about 40kg!!

Holy sh*t, I didn't know they weighed that much  :surprised: That should help then  :happy2:

Im hoping to get another 10kg or so out of the car today.. No idea where from, but there must be something left that I can put in the big box in the garage! haha..
Perhaps put a remote control Kit inside it jonny, sit on the side of the quarter mile with your hand controls and sorted, theres more weight saving right there   :wink: :laugh:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #1082 on: June 23, 2009, 03:04:15 pm »
Im intrigued, please do tell  :confused:

Holy sh*t, I didn't know they weighed that much  :surprised: That should help then  :happy2:

The boot and window complete weighs about 40kg! Crazy.. Just a shame that im going to have to sort out the carbon boot myself as no one actually makes a 'carbon' boot.. Plenty of poorly fitting fibre glass items on the market though..

Thought about poly carb rear windows a few times but cant help thinking it wouldnt look as high quality / oem

The kit im looking at looks fantastic.. If you look after them well then they look like glass

Really Hmmmm  :party: Where's that from? 

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1083 on: June 23, 2009, 05:35:13 pm »
You can get them through VW Racing.. Im going to have a kit made once I sort out the carbon boot.. Makes sense doing it all at the same time..

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #1084 on: June 23, 2009, 06:23:23 pm »
You can get them through VW Racing.. Im going to have a kit made once I sort out the carbon boot.. Makes sense doing it all at the same time..

Dedication! I love it! 

Offline cal tdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
  • dub or die
« Reply #1085 on: June 23, 2009, 07:26:21 pm »
insane forward rake and race fuel???  :party:
Candy weiß Mk6 GTI - Stage 2

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #1086 on: June 23, 2009, 08:31:21 pm »
sh*t or bust Jonny, gallon of tolurine and the timing as far advanced as you can get it FTW.

Seriously though - the traction is gash, the timing gear is questionable, its slightly uphill and you've the risk of some MK2 thowing its guts at you... it's for funsies only!
Sideways yo!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1087 on: June 23, 2009, 09:07:34 pm »
insane forward rake and race fuel???  :party:

Considered it but that would go against what I have always said, I use my car every day, and ill drive it there, as I use it each day and make no special adjustments..

Yeah I could throw £100 worth of race fuel in it and make another 20bhp+ but thats not how the car runs day to day.. It will be on V-Power and road legal tyres..

sh*t or bust Jonny, gallon of tolurine and the timing as far advanced as you can get it FTW.

Seriously though - the traction is gash, the timing gear is questionable, its slightly uphill and you've the risk of some MK2 thowing its guts at you... it's for funsies only!

Haha..

Na I know mate, its all relative though, should be the same for everyone, If i go any faster than I have at Santa Pod then I wont be quoting figures from Inters, as its hardly a certified track..

Done a couple of practice launches on 'normal' tarmac, and I can lunch from 4k with minimal wheel spin.. Grip isn't actually too bad with the new suspension set up.. Stiffer rear has helped a huge amount!

Offline tomoc2003

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #1088 on: June 23, 2009, 09:31:23 pm »
Can't wait for the weekend! So if you need any help with the list me and Giles are free from tomorrow onwards

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #1089 on: June 23, 2009, 10:19:41 pm »
Yup - forget times, Inters is all about beating stuff off the line and screaming it up the strip for the crowds. Sunday afternoon will be fun once all the big boys come out to play...

I can't wait.  :happy2:
Sideways yo!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1090 on: September 05, 2009, 12:33:50 pm »
Hey all..

Been a long time since I posted an update on here but thought its about time seen as how the car is now up for sale..

So we went to GTI International with the car in its new guise, not everyones taste but I liked it, it suited the day and the shock factor of red wheels combined with the carbon bonnet was worth it lol..

There were lots of quick 2.0T FSI cars there so it was set to be a good day..

I was pleased to come away from the event with fastest MK5 (no matter what all of the results seemed to say) with my fastest 0-60 being 4.53 seconds and the fastest 1/4 mile time of 12.79 which was good enough for 9th fastest overall on the day, and 2nd fastest FWD car of the weekend.. All on a little K04!!

Was a good day all round and again the little Golf showed up lots of big power / big talk cars!

After getting back from GTI International I decided that I wanted a new project, with the aim of having the first 2.0T FSI car in the 10's on a standard 1/4 mile..

The base had to be 4wd so there was really only one choice.. I went with my old S3 as that was back for sale and there is a whole different story with that one. Anyone that has been following the build thread of the S3 knows what im talking about..

So anyways I took the decision to tone down the Golf from its lightweight spec to a more road friendly daily driver and this is the result..

H&R Monotube coilovers - Raised up to be speed bump / car park friendly
Road spec engine mounts
Standard interior back in
MTM 19" rims with standard road tyres

Heres some pics..

The car is still very quick, doesn't quite have the edge that it did have because of the weight being back in but for sure it would still run a 12 second 1/4..

Really having two cars, both in modified spec is a little bit of an extravagance at my age so I have taken the decision to sell the Golf and concentrate solely on the S3 and achieving my Goal with that one..

Just to sum up, the Golf has been a fantastic car, never missed a beat and has achieved a fair bit in its time too!

* Fastest 2.0T FSI in the UK
* Fastest FWD 2.0T FSI in the UK
* Fastest MK5 Golf GTI in the UK
* Fastest FWD K04 2.0T FSI in the world
* Fastest DSG MK5 GTI in the world

Not bad really!!

The car is for sale at £20,500 with OEM S3 brakes or £22,000 including the VWR brakes

Jonny
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:37:23 pm by jonnyc »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #1091 on: September 05, 2009, 02:31:58 pm »

It's strange, but having read so much about how this car has evolved, it feels as if I know it very well and I do hope it finds a more appreciative owner than your S3 did before it came back to you.

I love those red wheels and it even had me thinking for a moment about my new OZ Alleggerita's in red!

Somewhere in this 73-page thread there's detail about the duct thingy in your foglight panel. What are those called, Jonny please, so I can find one - I'm talking about the circular finisher which tidies up a round duct hole in a body panel - Hope you know what I'm trying to describe.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1092 on: September 05, 2009, 02:51:06 pm »

It's strange, but having read so much about how this car has evolved, it feels as if I know it very well and I do hope it finds a more appreciative owner than your S3 did before it came back to you.

I love those red wheels and it even had me thinking for a moment about my new OZ Alleggerita's in red!

Somewhere in this 73-page thread there's detail about the duct thingy in your foglight panel. What are those called, Jonny please, so I can find one - I'm talking about the circular finisher which tidies up a round duct hole in a body panel - Hope you know what I'm trying to describe.

:happy2:

Send me a PM, I have something that should do the job..   :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #1093 on: November 11, 2009, 12:22:47 pm »
Hey..

Just thought I would post up in here to let you all know..

The Golf is for sale.. for £20,500 which will include all of the spec below!

REVO SELECT PLUS CONTROLLER
REVO STAGE 2
REVO STAGE 2+
AUTOTECH 2ND GENERATION HIGH FLOW FUEL PUMP (FITTED)
OEM 'D' VALVE
FORGE MOTORSPORT PCV FIX / CATCH CAN SYSTEM
FORGE MOTORSPORT INTERCOOLER KIT - MK5 GTI ED30
FORGE MOTORSPORT TWINTAKE
REFLECT-A-GOLD TAPE
EXHAUSTS UK T304 DOWNPIPE - 76MM
EXHAUSTS UK T304 SINGLE BOX REAR SECTION - 76MM
H&R MONO TUBE COILOVER KIT
WHITELINE ANTI-LIFT CASTER KIT
QUAIFE 2.0T FSI DSG AUTOMATIC TORQUE BAISING DIFFERENTIAL
VF ENGINEERING PENDULUM MOUNT
VF ENGINEERING GEARBOX MOUNT - RIGHT
VF ENGINEERING ENGINE MOUNT - LEFT
OEM AUDI S3 BIG BRAKE KIT
OEM GTI REAR DISCS
OEM GTI REAR PADS
PERFORMANCE BRAKE FLUID
OEM ED30 FRONT SPLITTER CENTRE SECTION - MATTE BLACK VINYL
OEM GTI GRILL - SMOOTHED / MATTE BLACK VINYL
REAR ED30 & GTI BADGE REMOVED
ALTA SHORT RADIO ANTENNA
REAR SCREEN WIPER ASSEMBLY REMOVED - BLACK BUNG INSTALLED
FULL AC SYSTEM REMOVED - ALL OF THIS I HAVE
HIDS4U 8000K D2S HID BULBS
XENON MATCH LED RESISTOR NUMBER PLATE BULBS
MTM BI-MOTO 19X8.5 / ET45 WHEELS - SATIN BLACK
CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 3 - 235/35/19

Any questions let me know

Jonny

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #1094 on: November 11, 2009, 07:11:41 pm »
Johnny

Seen your car on PH's.Very nice :happy2:

I've decided to strip the3 bits of mine as people are not interested seemingly in paying over the odds for modded car's.

I had my 07 Edition 30 with 30k and all the bit's up for £18k and no takers even though the spec is nice and it's Number 30! Your car has a few more nicer bit's than mine with Diff,brakes etc etc.

Stealer prices are anything between 16k-18k for OE examples therefore I'm putting mine back to OE and dropping it to sell.

Will sell all of my APR bits and Clubsports seperately together with wheels spacers.

I had experience of this the last time I sold my APR Stage 3+ it took me months.

At least the Edition 30 is still very desirable and I was offered close to £15k trade cash by dealer.

Christmas and Recession it's not a good time. :sad1:

Good luck with yours.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:18:16 pm by Msportman »
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.