Make a donation

Author Topic: Machine Polishers DAS 6 ???  (Read 2158 times)

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Machine Polishers DAS 6 ???
« on: July 29, 2009, 01:18:04 am »
Guys,

The other half is talking about getting me a G220 / PC polisher - a few people have recommended the DAS 6 as a more than capable machine at much less cost than a G220 and apparently g220'S have a penchant for self destructing and generally poor reliability.

Now, as many of you know I've got a Tornado Red ED30, what will I need in terms of pads and products ? When I bought the car in June 08, washed it the first few times with a sponge and have done more damage to it in that 2 weeks than over the last 14 months.  Since then I have always used 2 bucket method with lambswool mitts.  Car gets washed at least once a week sometimes more.

She has been looking at this :-

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polishing-machine/das-6-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-kit/prod_522.html

which seems like a good price and has been recommended.

To be honest, I'm also a little concerned with the thought of damaging the paint on the car, after seeing all those threads on detailing world of pro correction work, I dunno - am a little concerned about doing it:-

Can I damage the paint ?

How do I do it ?

How long does it take ?

Was hoping I'd have to do it once every few years if I'm careful with washing is this true ?

How many times can a the paint take this type of polishing before literally wearing through ?

Why is there adjustable speed ?

Do I apply with one pad and then buff with another ?

Can I really expect glass like finish on my first go ?

Sorry guys but really want those swirls gone and would like to do it myself !! Are there better deals to be had out there ?

Regards,

Gareth

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Machine Polishers DAS 6 ???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:23:17 am »
Additionally (lol) can I do the rear lights and headdlights with it ?

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

veedub18

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 07:07:24 am »
Hi Gareth
That looks like a good package, and a DA is a good place to start from compared to a rotary, you are a lot less likely to do any damage while you get used to the machine. I'd buy a scrap panel from somewhere and give it a good going over, before you get started on your own car. Either that or get a mate with an old banger who will let you practice on it  :happy2:

You can damage the paint if you let it get too hot while leaving the machine polishing in one place too long and burn through, also on the edges of panels where the paint is a lot thinner. Also you need to make sure the car really is clean, then clay it, then mask it up with 3M tape as once you start you could drag a piece of dirt out from trim and really mess up your paintwork if it got on the pad  :surprised:

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/3m-3434-masking-tape/prod_79.html

If you want to see how long it takes, how to do it etc, watch this to get an idea, it would take me ages to type it all up here!

You can buff out swirls etc from headlights and rear lights, use a very low cut product and go over lightly, I did mine and they came up great  :happy2:

VW paint is pretty tough, so it may take some time to get it swirl free. Its actually the clear coat you are polishing, and removing the "spiders web" type swirls should be relatively straightforward with the DAS-6. I wouldn't keep doing this to the same car though, without testing the panel you are working on with a paint guage (possibly borrow one as they are expensive) first, as each time you polish you are removing clear coat.  Once you get the hang of the polisher and get confident with it, you will be able to achieve great results.

One tip is to always use the lowest cut polish first. You want to try and get a decent result by removing as little of the clear coat as possible. Tornado Red is a fantastic colour, make sure you get some pics posted showing before and afters  :happy2:

HTH  :smiley:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:07:54 am by veedub18 »

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 11:27:41 am »
Hi mate
Heres a pretty in depth guide to polishing using a da polisher
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

I recomend using the menzerana polishes as they tend to give good results on the hard VAG paint plus you can buy them in sample sizes which would be more than addequate for a few applications to your car.
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polish/menzerna-250ml/menzerna-250ml-sampler-kit/prod_220.html

I used to give my car a full polish twice a year once after winter ready for the summer and then again before winter prior to applying my winter protection. Obviously after the first major correction all you should really need is a quick light polish to remove any swirls introduced by washing etc.

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

veedub18

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 09:13:25 pm »
Hi Gareth,
How did you get on with the polishing, which one did you get in the end and do you have any before and afters for us to view?  :happy2:

veedub18

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 03:19:14 pm »
Bump  :sad1:

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 03:20:46 pm »
Haven't had it yet - been a bit preoccupied - the missus has bough an Imola Yellow S3  :smiley: :laugh: :smiley:

veedub18

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 03:32:52 pm »
Haven't had it yet - been a bit preoccupied - the missus has bough an Imola Yellow S3  :smiley: :laugh: :smiley:

Nice one  :happy2:

I bet its in need of a good detailing then? 

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 06:51:26 pm »
Polisher arrived - just gonna give it a go now ....  :happy2: