Make a donation

Author Topic: My first GTI - In fact my first VW!!  (Read 3928 times)

Offline JVS

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
My first GTI - In fact my first VW!!
« on: August 11, 2009, 03:18:47 pm »
I've had my first VW, a MkV GTI in Tornado Red, for about one month now.

It's a 56 plate, just coming up to three years old with 19.5k miles on the clock.

Although an import, I chose this one because of its fantastic spec, it's got a fully colour coded body, xenons, sunroof, DSG, electric seats, rear parking aid, 18" R32 wheels, folding/dimming mirrors, MF steering wheel, cruise control and a CD six pack.

I paid £13.9k for it from an independent dealer. It seems good value but I'm no expert on used GTI values - similar ones (but with less extras) in VWdealers seemed to be in the region of £18k - £20k. Interestingly, the V5 says it was first registered in the UK but the sevice book contains a PDI stamp from a dealer in Dubai. I'm not quite sure how that works!

The car is in exceptional condition and I love the drive, however, mechanically it has been far from trouble free.........

When I went to pick it up there was an intermitent starter problem. The local VW dealer in Altrincham had severe difficulties solving the problem so I had to wait a further two weeks for a return visit to collect it. On the return 200 mile trip the Aircon packed up requiring a new compressor. Then about a week later it went onto three cylinders - new coil and plugs this time. Finally, (I very much hope!) about a week ago the computer menu button on the s/wheel stopped working!! I haven't had this looked at yet.

So, all of you GTI experts, the big question is: Have I bought a lemon? or are all these failures normal on a 2 years 9 month old GTi with under 20k on the clock?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: My first GTI - In fact my first VW!!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:12:58 pm »
Welcome to the forum and thats a good price. I just paid £15,500 for a similar spec 56 plate.

Mine is leather, sat nav, highline, dsg, 18" bbs, arm rest, convenience pack, 20k miles. But a UK car.

My compressor has also recently failed, and booked into the dealership to be replaced on the 18th. Hopefully thats the end of the problems for a while though.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:21:27 pm »
Welcome to the Forum JVS.  :happy2:

The air-con seems to be a very common fault with the Mk 5 and the coil packs going has been prominent lately.  :sad1:
Not sure about the intermittent starting problem. What was is actually doing and did they tell you what the fix was.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 06:15:28 pm »

Interestingly, the V5 says it was first registered in the UK but the sevice book contains a PDI stamp from a dealer in Dubai. I'm not quite sure how that works!

The car is in exceptional condition and I love the drive, however, mechanically it has been far from trouble free.........

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

....Firstly a Very Warm Welcome to the forum! :drinking:

Not a lemon - It can all be fixed. However, it may have been sat out in a desert car park for a while - Not ideal.

Best to be prepared for a few things needing attention but you'll soon get her acclimatised and enjoy a great car. That's very low mileage for 3 years, in my opinion.

:happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JVS

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:57:17 am »
Many thanks for the welcome messages guys - I feel at home already.

I looked at most of the site before signing up. I saw your GTI Deako - nice wheels. Are you having the AC work done in a VW dealer? I was given an open-ended quote £1100 for a new compressor with the words "this may not be the total cost because the compressor may have broken up and damaged other parts" I had it done at small garage I know well for just over £500.

Having looked at my initial post again, I think I was a little negative. My new Golf is beautiful to look at and wonderfully dynamic to drive.

I'm just a little concerned that after all of the issues during the first few weeks of ownership, I might have purchased a "Friday afternoon" car. Hopefully not and as Redrobin says, I'll soon be able to put those problems to bed and get on with driving a great car.

The starting problem initially felt like a flat battery Topcat - just a sort of click when turning the key with no cranking of the engine. This would happen maybe happen two or three times then it would catch as normal. The problem was worse if the engine was hot. The VW dealer changed the relay first, then the ignition switch control box and finally the starter motor. Non of which cured the problem - they eventually admitted it was probably an eathing issue. They charged (the independent dealer I bought it from) for the first two items but waived the cost of the starter motor.

I also agree with your opinion with respect to the low mileage however the paperwork seems to stack up ok.

I'll attempt to upload a photo or two shortly......

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:03:05 am »

the coil packs going has been prominent lately.  :sad1:

....Coil packs tend to go after higher mileages than barely 20k.

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:07:04 am »

I also agree with your opinion with respect to the low mileage however the paperwork seems to stack up ok.

I'll attempt to upload a photo or two shortly......

....I was suggesting that the 19.5k mileage in 3 years was a good thing. It equals more mileage for you to enjoy.

We love to see pics of each others cars :happy2:

Offline JVS

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 09:32:05 am »
Definitely a good thing yes, the low mileage was one of the big attractions.

The V5 does shows one previous lady owner living in the Manchester area. I suppose it may have had a lot of short journeys in that 19.5k miles - which could have led to the mechanical woes. But this is obviously speculation.

Offline JVS

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 09:47:09 am »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 09:50:01 am »
^^^^
Yes, cars generally don't like lots of short journeys. Possibly a contribution. The GTI is designed to be given free rein when the road conditions are appropriate.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 09:53:22 am »

Ah, a pic has appeared :happy2:

Hmm.....Interesting.....Colour coded and R32(?) wheels. The previous lady owner had definite ideas about her appearance then. I bet it did a lot of short school or nursery runs.

Offline too hot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 10:16:57 am »
Colour coding looks good,don`t know why they didn`t come like that :wink:
2014 White 3dr S3 Stronic

Offline JVS

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 10:20:31 am »
The piccy arrived ok then - that wasn't too difficult!

The lady didn't buy the wheels. they were put on by the independant dealer.

The original 18" Monza wheels were in very bad condition when he obtained the car so he sent them for refurbishment. He said that they were stolen from his workshop just after being delivered back.

I've never been a lover of "telephone dial" style wheels so prefered the R32 items anyway - all personal taste etc.

Can I presume your question mark means that you doubt they are original VW items? Is so, you'd be correct - they are copies.

I really like BBS LM rims - maybe, once my wallet has recovered!! :grin:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 10:28:05 am »

I've never been a lover of "telephone dial" style wheels

Never heard them called that before.  :signLOL:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 10:33:56 am »
^^^^
Yes, absolutely a matter of personal taste re 'telephone dial' wheels - I've always loved them on Alfa's and Lambo's etc and they are so easy and quick to clean.

No, it would be pretty impressive if I could have spotted those rims weren't originals! I just wasn't 100% about what they were.

The original 18" Monza wheels were in very bad condition when he obtained the car so he sent them for refurbishment. He said that they were stolen from his workshop just after being delivered back.

.... *cough* "Stolen" eh? *cough*. So he replaced them with some R32 replica's  :popcornsoda:

Sounds like the Monza's had a bad case of the dreaded white worm.