Make a donation

Author Topic: Complete Audio Install  (Read 6238 times)

Offline Scaff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 7
Complete Audio Install
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:23:55 pm »
Starting on my Audio install tomorrow (first big install I've ever done so go easy on me) and wondered if anyone know's any good tips, tricks or links to anything similar. particularly running speaker wires into doors which I haven't really checked out yet

Starting with sound deadening the whole car with silent coat deadening (opted for the 2mm bulk pack for less weight) and noise isolator including inner and outer door skins then running all the speaker cables, power cables, rca's etc.. Everything's going to be braided and labelled for a really neat install

Here's the kit I'm going to be running

Alpine iDA-X100 Head unit

Hertz HDP5 Amplifier powering the front Hertz HSK163 3 way components and Hertz HX250d 10" Sub

Hertz HE4 Amplifier powering the rear Hertz HSK165 2 way components

See how it goes but may be throwing a Audison Bitone into the mix aswell.

Powerwise Im going to be running 1x 0 AWG and 1 x 4 AWG cable into a digital fused distributor which will then feed into my amps and airride management. Is this sufficient enough?

Ive got 15 AWG speaker cable for front and rear components and 12 AWG speaker cable for sub woofer, again, is this sufficient enough or should I go for a thicker gauge speaker wire?

Most of the deadening and wiring arrived today so can get right stuck in tomorrow  :smiley:

Any advice appreciated  :drinking:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:26:17 pm by Scaff™ »

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Complete Audio Install
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 09:29:21 pm »
Take your time...

... i'm out of suggestions!  :signLOL:

Offline Scaff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 09:30:14 pm »
Take your time...

... i'm out of suggestions!  :signLOL:

Good bit of advice right there, will definitely be taking it in  :happy2:

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 09:43:40 pm »
Take your time...

Very good advice.

Great set of audio equipment you got there. I have a build on here:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53582.0.html

and another build I done recently:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65992.0.html

O AWG will be perfectly adequate for those amps.

Best advice for the sound deadening is to remove the door skins, makes life so much easier for placing the deadening on the outer skin and inner skin in you want to. Also give much better access to routing the cables through the OEM positions in the doors.

Have a read through the above and ask any questions you may have.

How will you be setting your gains? That is extremely important. Another point is, do you have a capacitor to help smooth the voltage to the amps? Also look at upgrading your battery. I am a Four Master and can supply their range of high capacity batteries specifically for car audio systems.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Scaff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:52:12 pm »
Take your time...

Very good advice.

Great set of audio equipment you got there. I have a build on here:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53582.0.html

and another build I done recently:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,65992.0.html

O AWG will be perfectly adequate for those amps.

Best advice for the sound deadening is to remove the door skins, makes life so much easier for placing the deadening on the outer skin and inner skin in you want to. Also give much better access to routing the cables through the OEM positions in the doors.

Have a read through the above and ask any questions you may have.

How will you be setting your gains? That is extremely important. Another point is, do you have a capacitor to help smooth the voltage to the amps? Also look at upgrading your battery. I am a Four Master and can supply their range of high capacity batteries specifically for car audio systems.

Cheers Mate, Will take a look at your link's now. I haven't looked into power cap's or bigger battery's though, What would you recommend? Also How are power cap's wired up? Never came across one up close so not very familiar with them.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:06:22 pm »
I am looking into the right size battery at the minute so can advise in due course.

With regards the cap, it all depends on the amp, with the HDP's you would take your 0 AWG into the cap and then feed off two 4 AWG to each amp. Basically the cap stores energy for the times your system demands extra energy so your lights don't dim and it doesn't put excess strain on the battery at times.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Scaff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 10:12:38 pm »
I am looking into the right size battery at the minute so can advise in due course.

With regards the cap, it all depends on the amp, with the HDP's you would take your 0 AWG into the cap and then feed off two 4 AWG to each amp. Basically the cap stores energy for the times your system demands extra energy so your lights don't dim and it doesn't put excess strain on the battery at times.

Yes keep me updated Battery wise. I will definitely be looking into a cap then. Just read through your thread, Great write up and a lot of helpful info there especially with regards to running wires though to the doors and mounting the crossovers   :happy2:

Offline Scaff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 10:26:29 pm »
Just read the recent build you done. Proper stuff! All that kit must of cost a fortune!

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 10:51:18 pm »
Yep, it sure did :scared:

Does sound incredible though. The clarity right through the range is awesome. Still some fettling to be done, next week sometime hopefully.

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 07:42:14 am »
Where did you get the speaker wiring from? Any links?  :happy2:

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Scaff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:04:48 am »
I got the cables from all different company's through eBay, the speaker wire I got from Radioworld, 15AWG 99p a metre with 5 metres free when you buy over 5 metres

Offline Rob.

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 10:08:20 am »
A bigger battery will be a worthwhile upgrade if you start to struggle with voltage drop (I'm not up on the Hertz amp specs, so don't know the total RMS power of the system).

Avoid capacitors though - they add no value.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:17:10 am »
Back when my boot just had 2 ported re audio subs in it and all I did was read about car audio, the consensus was power caps were pointless. Get the big 3 done (grounds and alternator) and run good quality cabling.

I eventually ended up with 3yellow top battery's in my boot and plenty of window flex! I think it's the main reason I can't hear these days.

Offline JagGTi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 03:03:26 pm »
Ditto above. Spend your money on 'the big 3' as Ed says, then battery. The general consensus on caps when I was putting together my install a couple years back was that they are a waste of time. Get on to the talkaudio forum where you will find some very useful help and feedback!

Offline Scaff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 03:30:49 pm »
yeah, I've read into upgrading those cables, I'll do them right away as it doesn't really cost much to upgrade them either.