Make a donation

Author Topic: Town Centre Car Park Merrion Centre Leeds - conmen!  (Read 1849 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Town Centre Car Park Merrion Centre Leeds - conmen!
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:42:57 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been absent for a while as I've started a degree in London and don't have the space for my car. However with summer hols approaching, I'm starting to take an interest in her again as I'll be returning to my parents home where she's been serving as a 2nd car when needed.

Sorry to return with such a negative post, but I'd just like to highlight the conmen above and make sure that nobody else has the same experience. I parked there today because there's a promotion that states that you can park for £1 per hour for the first 3 hours. I parked there for 3 hours and 10 minutes, and went to pay and it flashed up as £7. I was puzzled so took my ticket to the customer service counter where I dealt with Paul. He is the site manager. These clowns will charge you the full rate if you stay over three hours! So instead of paying the difference for the 4th hour for the extra. you pay for 4 hours as if there is no promotion at all!

I contacted TCCP by email who got back to me promptly with a rudely worded email stating that their pricing policy is correct and clearly stated. How can it be a promotion for £1 for the FIRST three hours if you get charged the full amount if you stay more than three hours? Then it's not the FIRST three hours, is it?

I mean the difference is only £2.80, but it's just the principle of the matter. I hate being misled, and I hate being fobbed off just because a company thinks they're bigger than the little man.

They are members of Park Mark (this body that sort of vets car parks as being safe) but I shudder to think what would happen if your car was damaged in there of this is their attitude. Definitely one to be avoided.  

On a more positive note I'm glad to be back in a car and getting involved in the forum again. The tube was driving me insane!

S.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Town Centre Car Park Merrion Centre Leeds - conmen!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:47:53 pm »
I dunno man, if that was me I would have expected to pay the full amount if I had gone over the promo timeframe

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:20:15 pm »
I'm inclined to agree with pov tbh mate...

I actually use car parks with these type of promos nearly every day for work, my view would be that the promo period entitles you to park for the first 3 hours (or part thereof) @ £1 an hour, a stay over 3 hours would then incurr whatever charge I posted on the carpark t&cs, easy one to get the head around imo  :smiley:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 06:27:11 pm »
maybe it's a semantic difference in wording, but it is a difference imho. saying "the first three hours" implies that that rate is applicable for the first three hours, irrespective of the length of stay. otherwise it should say "up to three hours".
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 06:35:45 pm »
maybe it's a semantic difference in wording, but it is a difference imho. saying "the first three hours" implies that that rate is applicable for the first three hours, irrespective of the length of stay. otherwise it should say "up to three hours".

Sorry mate but still can't grasp your view irrespective of the wording...
If you stayed 2h 10m how much would you expect to pay? £3 or £2.16.66 lol

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 06:41:17 pm »
i would expect to pay £3, but my point is that if you stay longer than 3hr you should get the promotion, then pay the difference for the remainder of your stay. in this case i would be paying for 4 hours. the difference between 3 hr and 4hr was £1.20, so for the first 3 hours £3, plus the £1.20 for the difference rather than paying the full rate as if there was no promotion at all. otherwise you don't get the first three hours for £1 at all, and the signage is deliberately misleading.

if the sign said "stay for up to 3 hours for £1/hour" then it's absolutely clear that if you say longer than 3 hours then you don't benefit from the promo at all

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 07:40:47 pm »
These people are good at what they do (conning people) take the hit and others are forewarned -  thanks for the heads up!
 :happy2:

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 08:01:50 pm »
i would expect to pay £3, but my point is that if you stay longer than 3hr you should get the promotion, then pay the difference for the remainder of your stay. in this case i would be paying for 4 hours. the difference between 3 hr and 4hr was £1.20, so for the first 3 hours £3, plus the £1.20 for the difference rather than paying the full rate as if there was no promotion at all

I fail to see how you been 'conned' though? You stayed longer than the 3 hour promotion period and a quick look at the Merrion centre car park shows that the daily tariff for up to 4 hours parking is £7.00, you overstayed into the 4 hour charge zone so not sure how you felt you should have only paid an extra £1.20 for that?
As the normal tariff for 3 hour parking is £5.80 you would have saved £2.80 if you'd have been a bit quicker buying a fathers day present / grabbing a latte macchiato..  :wink:

http://towncentrecarparks.com/leeds/merrion-centre-leeds-arena

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 08:19:22 pm »
reading the full terms and conditions on the website is wholly different to seeing a big sign outside that says "first three hours £1/hour". tbh i don't see what's so complicated about that.

also i hate coffee :p

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 08:33:52 pm »
At the risk of becoming one of my pet hates in life , a pedant...
I'm willing to bet that the car park displays its tariffs quite clearly and therefore £7.00 for 4 hours parking would be plain for all to see so still unsure why you felt that you should only be charged an extra £1.20 for overstaying the 3 hour period  :confused:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 08:36:21 pm »
I just use the light car park in leeds city centre, its clean, warm (great in winter  :signLOL:), yes you have to pay for it, but i have never had any issues and it seems well guarded.  :happy2:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 08:39:31 pm »
Also reminds me of a guy that my future father in law saw whilst working near harley street in London.

Guy placed ticket in meter see a bill for over £300, aparently been there a few days. 'Sod that, returned ticket, pressed lost ticket button, £25'  :signLOL:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 08:57:57 pm »
At the risk of becoming one of my pet hates in life , a pedant...
I'm willing to bet that the car park displays its tariffs quite clearly and therefore £7.00 for 4 hours parking would be plain for all to see so still unsure why you felt that you should only be charged an extra £1.20 for overstaying the 3 hour period  :confused:

the tariff is displayed clearly. my issue is a big sign saying that you pay £1/hour for the first 3 hours on weekends. that is categorically untrue unless you stay for up to (and not over) 3 hours. so writing "first" three hours is not correct. you only get £1/hour if you stay UP TO three hours, NOT for the first three hours.

i think we'll have to agree to disagree dude. i can't really explain my opinion on the wording of the sign or why i feel cheated any clearer than i have done.

I just use the light car park in leeds city centre, its clean, warm (great in winter  :signLOL:), yes you have to pay for it, but i have never had any issues and it seems well guarded.  :happy2:

tbh i should have done that. i'm a light member and last i parked there i used to get a discount. not lived in leeds for a few years (only back for father's day) so not sure if it still applies. only problem is it's a little busy and the spaces are a little small and i was in my dad's car tank
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:09:49 pm by sub39h »

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 11:19:58 pm »

the tariff is displayed clearly. my issue is a big sign saying that you pay £1/hour for the first 3 hours on weekends. that is categorically untrue unless you stay for up to (and not over) 3 hours. so writing "first" three hours is not correct. you only get £1/hour if you stay UP TO three hours, NOT for the first three hours.

i think we'll have to agree to disagree dude. i can't really explain my opinion on the wording of the sign or why i feel cheated any clearer than i have done.

Up to 3 hours and the first 3 hours are one and the same though  :grin:

Arrive at car park @ 08:00 - 09:00 (1 hour) 09:00-10:00 (2 hours) 10:00-11:00 (3 hours) = £3 parking at £1 per hour
Arrive at car park @ 08:00 and stay for 3 hours until 11:00 = £3 parking at £1 per hour

Either way the sign and promo is 100% correct, you can park for the first 3 full hours of your stay for £1 per hour (£3 in total)

You stayed for 3h and 10 mins so went over you first and your full 3 hour promo period and were charged accordingly, how have they mislead you in any way.. :confused:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 11:47:11 pm »
Because they charged me more than £1/hour for the first 3 hours of my stay? So it is only valid UP TO 3 hours, not for the first 3 hours because if you stay more than 3 hours the first three hours are not charged at £1/hour. In my opinion they are not hte same thing as you suggest.

Like I said you've interpreted it one way, I've interpreted it a different way which I feel is more valid given the wording on the sign. We will have to agree to disagree.