Make a donation

Author Topic: Too fast??  (Read 14560 times)

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Too fast??
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 11:30:55 pm »
Surely the exchaust is more for the sound and sporty feel than sheer power gains which aren't breathtaking!

a decent exhaust has the ability to make you feel like your going faster than you are!
Candy

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 11:35:31 pm »
Surely the exchaust is more for the sound and sporty feel than sheer power gains which aren't breathtaking!

a decent exhaust has the ability to make you feel like your going faster than you are!

And 25hp & 30+ftlbs.. Makes a big difference on these cars for sure! Especially on a ED30 with the bigger turbo..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 11:49:18 am »
this topic has obviously come up at the right/wotng time just to aggravate me... :evilgrin:

been thinking more about this as my car "budget has been reduced just recently with c/crunch kicking in and kids on hols and GF job change so ive just been trying to decide do i really nedd and intake and exhaust to boost performance as its easily quick enough for me on an everyday opportunity,and yet i want more...more sound more engine noise more speed more more!

or do i be sensible and spend the reduced money i have on cosmetics to make the car look even better(imo) and to get it looking just so
rims
coded bumpers
moar carbon bits etc etc

haveing said all that i couldnt resist the american carbonio copy on ebay, so who am i kidding :ashamed: :evilgrin: :rolleye:

yes no yes no yes no
aaaaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
matsu

keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 12:25:10 pm »

And 25hp & 30+ftlbs.. Makes a big difference on these cars for sure! Especially on a ED30 with the bigger turbo..

:signIWS:

Which is why it is soooo tempting  :evilgrin:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 12:29:42 pm »
depends a lot on the circumstances and frequency of your driving.
if I'm commuting all week, then I get used to 'low rpm cruising' and a subsequent quick blast at the weekend and it feels really fast.
however if I spend the weekend at an event , enjoy the car to its potential for 2 days then it start to feel slow.....

in short do some track days and other forms of pushing the car and youll prob get way more used to it and want more.
conversely if you want to save ££££ just drive it like a pensioner for a week (or use a diff car) then jump into the Ed30
 :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 04:41:02 pm »
I use my car daily to get me to and from work and also quite often go for a spin over woodhead and holmfirth etc... I love my car and wouldnt change it at all i was simply saying it doesnt need to be as fast as it is in reality and yet i want more...

I am booked in to have sportlines fitted on monday though so that should keep me gong for a while  :jumpmove:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 04:51:01 pm »

Something which hasn't been mentioned yet is that with high performance comes greatly increased safety.

- Power to overtake more swiftly and to have more opportunities to overtake.

- Greater stability due to improved handling.

- Safer with improved braking performance. I'd rather have good brakes and not need them than need them and not have them.

Just borrow an ordinary car for a day and you'll appreciate just how much safer and more enjoyable even a standard GTI is. The ex-factory GTI is excellent.

But with power comes responsibility.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2009, 04:52:31 pm »
^^^^^^^^ Indeed Yoda!  :grin:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 06:21:01 pm »
I think a lot of people would benefit from a driving course than a remap! I will be doing this at some point as i can see it giving me so much more enjoyment from using the car to its full potential rather than using it well under!

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 06:54:46 pm »
Sounds like a good idea, much better than 'thinking' your a good driver and killing yourself...

It doesnt take much to make our cars really quick and without driving experience or sense it can be dangerous, hence outrageous insurance!!

My 1.8t was fast but my ed30 is different again. I thnk people may be getting confused with my original post, i dont think my car is too fast to drive or handle just simply that for road use it is excessive, but great  :evilgrin:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 07:16:31 pm »

I think a lot of people would benefit from a driving course than a remap! I will be doing this at some point as i can see it giving me so much more enjoyment from using the car to its full potential rather than using it well under!

....Absolutely! Remap your brain!

The Mk5 GTI was my first front wheel drive car that I had owned and I quickly found myself wondering where the let-go points were on local twisty B-roads I know well. So rather than find out the hard and expensive way I went on a CarLimits course with 3 other GTI owners on North Weald airfield. Later on I did a course with a highly qualified Police instructor one-to-one on public roads.

These courses haven't made me a perfect driver but they have helped me enormously to avoid potential incidents and have contributed to me being let off speeding more than once after being followed by unmarked cars. Why? - Simply because I was practising what I've been taught and it was noticed and viewed as good driving but my speeds were well over the 70. This doesn't mean I'll be so lucky next time and I do watch my speed more than I used to.

Also, remapping your brain transfers to whatever car you are driving.

You've hit the nail on the head, Jules :happy2:

A GTI isn't excessive but just about right for UK roads - But only providing the driver is focussed and calm enough.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 07:23:20 pm »
Driving courses can drastically alter the way you look at driving and the way you drive. 

I am in the lucky position that my employer has, over the years, sent me on 10 weeks worth  :smiley: 

They have made me a slower driver but one that is - hopefully - more in control.   I hate to think about the way I drove as a teenager !

A remap is great but if you can't control the car in the first place or don't plan ahead you are a liability .... you don't have to go mad with courses - but one or two can't do any harm.  Some people get addicted to them ... but then you are spending lots and lots.  I think the law of diminishing returns applies .... but I have never forgotten what I have been taught .... oh, and unsurprisingly enjoyed every second of the courses when I did them .... :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:24:57 pm by SO8 »

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 08:19:29 pm »
as most be people on here know, I wrote off my ED30 about 14 months ago, through no fault but my own. It made me realise how easy it can happen, I've always driven performance cars, never had anything else, started with an XR2 at 18, and consider myself a pretty good driver, we all do don't we :smiley:
As a result of the accident I was offered a driver awareness course rather than prosecution, it was a day and a half course, I decided to go into it with a positive frame of mind and make the most of it rather than see it as a punishment. It was really enjoyable and I learnt loads, mostly things you think you know but don't really. A lot of observation training, I finished top of the group and the instructers recommended I take the driver training further which I'm going to to do  :happy2:

so i think driver training is a good thing :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 09:29:56 pm by gazbutS3 »

Offline em2evol

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Let's Motorvate!
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2009, 08:46:56 pm »
Hmmm... I feel the opposite... I want more more more!   :party:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2009, 09:18:43 pm »
My car is standard apart from a Milltek cat back non res & edititon 30 alloys.I love the way it looks & sounds & ''yes'' for what i want it's perfect.
ED35. Standard factory condition.