Make a donation

Author Topic: brake pads......  (Read 8836 times)

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
Re: brake pads......
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 09:30:31 pm »
How much are the standard pads please ?.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 11:13:41 pm »

He has an AP big brake kit yes but that doesn't mean he has to have AP Brake pads.

iirc RR has the DS2500's as recommended by AP to use with their brakes.

x 2  :happy2:

During the Ring trip his front wheels went a coppery colour and I remember him saying it was down to his 'Red' brake pads? Meh  :confused:

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 05:56:34 pm »
ive got the s3 calipers on mine, they have the standard ATE pads in and they are really good compared to the standard gti ones. my only gripe is how much dust they kick out.

iam considering ferodo or hawk sometime soon whats the dust like on those pads?

"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 09:52:31 am »

He has an AP big brake kit yes but that doesn't mean he has to have AP Brake pads.

iirc RR has the DS2500's as recommended by AP to use with their brakes.

x 2  :happy2:

During the Ring trip his front wheels went a coppery colour and I remember him saying it was down to his 'Red' brake pads? Meh  :confused:

....Yes I do have the DS2500's as recommended by AP and I wouldn't change from them without their advice as it would void their support. I'm now on my second set of pads and discs - Changed shortly before the 'Ring trip.

I don't know why my brake dust was so red after lapping The 'Ring - It isn't anymore. I might ask AP as I'm curious.

Yes I do rave about AP's Big Brake Kit and you'll be hard pressed to find anyone with any car with them fitted who doesn't have praise for them. That's not to say that there aren't others which are equally good but both AP's and DS2500's are independently renowned.

^ My new and old DS2500 pads ^
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:24:22 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 11:29:39 am »
DS2500s kick out red dust for the first 500 miles or so for some reason, they're actually pretty good on the dust after that.

Alcon also recommend & factory supply the DS2500s for their kits. They do also have an "approved" list including Mintex, Pagid and Hawk (very well respected in the States, if not that well known over here yet). Given both suppliers work with WRC, F1, Indy, GT racing teams etc, I think that speaks volumes of the standards that both them and AP Racing expect from a pad.

I've also got some DS3000s for the track, they're fricking nuts, but difficult to get enough working heat into anywhere else.

I'd be interested to hear what pads the VW Cup cars run, as they all either have AP, Alcon or VWR brakes. Fancy asking them next time you speak to them, Robin?
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 11:52:47 am »

DS2500s kick out red dust for the first 500 miles or so for some reason, they're actually pretty good on the dust after that.

....Ah! Thanks! That explains it :happy2:

Alcon also recommend & factory supply the DS2500s for their kits. They do also have an "approved" list including Mintex, Pagid and Hawk (very well respected in the States, if not that well known over here yet). Given both suppliers work with WRC, F1, Indy, GT racing teams etc, I think that speaks volumes of the standards that both them and AP Racing expect from a pad.

....Exactly why I take AP's advice. I'm one of those guys who knows very little technically and can't even do most of my own car maintenance myself (unlike you and Mat and a few others here), so I feel I must rely on established experts - It gives me peace of mind.

I've also got some DS3000s for the track, they're fricking nuts, but difficult to get enough working heat into anywhere else.

I'd be interested to hear what pads the VW Cup cars run, as they all either have AP, Alcon or VWR brakes. Fancy asking them next time you speak to them, Robin?

....I'll be speaking to Mark Farmer (now ex VWR) in the next day or so and I'll ask him.

:drinking:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 01:24:50 pm »
how do the DS2500 perform day to day, do they take a while to warm up or good from the off? I ran some Mintex pads a few years ago and the were lethal till warmed up :smiley:. I'm going to upgrade the pads and fit some braided hoses and decent fluid to start with

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 01:31:59 pm »

how do the DS2500 perform day to day, do they take a while to warm up or good from the off? I ran some Mintex pads a few years ago and the were lethal till warmed up :smiley:. I'm going to upgrade the pads and fit some braided hoses and decent fluid to start with

....I can only comment about DS2500's in the context of with AP's BBK - They're good from the off but all brakes benefit from a bit (not too much!) of heat. My AP's don't snatch.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 01:34:46 pm »
OK from cold on all the cars I've run them in. There's DS Performance pads which are ever so slightely toned down for the road too, if that's more your bag.
Sideways yo!

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 03:44:10 pm »
cheers Mr Danza, will check em out :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 04:12:22 pm »

....I had a long chat with Mark Farmer (now ex VWR) last night and he says they run DS2500's. He also independently said the DS3000's were somewhat fierce!

AP strongly recommend DS2500's with their kit I've got, so I take their advice regardless of whether I can get cheaper pads etc. JKM had the best DS2500 price I could find - Kate is your gal :notworthy:)

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 04:15:38 pm »
As a side note, i have used various EBC pads on some of my cars in the past, the best being EBC yellows on the Mk1 Golf track car. They were brilliant. Maybe they just dont hold up as well on a car that weighs a lot more.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 04:27:57 pm »

As a side note, i have used various EBC pads on some of my cars in the past, the best being EBC yellows on the Mk1 Golf track car. They were brilliant. Maybe they just dont hold up as well on a car that weighs a lot more.

....That's right! Just look at the size comparison between mine and Dan's Mk1 and think of all the extra weight of stuff a Mk5 has : -

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 04:43:45 pm »
Oh yeah, I found out what the copper colour dust is about - apparently they use a bit of clay in the compound.

Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 04:59:40 pm »
^^^^
And I vaguely remember some red dust when the kit was first fitted back in 06. I have a poor memory unless it's jolted. I was more concerned how the new brakes felt and was driving from Coventry to Germany the next day.