Make a donation

Author Topic: Coilover dilemma!  (Read 1946 times)

Offline GTI.Dav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Coilover dilemma!
« on: June 21, 2013, 10:56:28 am »
Basically I ordered some FK Highsports the other day. I received a call this morning to say there's a minimum of a 3 week wait for them as the factory have a delay on the dampers. Now I could just wait but I'm too impatient. He's offered me the Apex RDX kit. Has anyone had any experience with these or know how they compare to the Highsports?

I'm not going for a high end coilover as I plan to eventually air it out but don't want really budget coillies either. I've always had AP's in the past but they didn't really go low enough for what i wanted on my previous mk4 R32.

Any help or opinions would be great.

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: Coilover dilemma!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:32:32 pm »
What's your budget?

For a road coilover I really couldn't recommend KW V1's enough, had them on my last ED30 and the ride was so nice, better than standard. I know they're about £800 though so hardly cheap, but well worth the money!
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 12:44:29 pm »
What's your budget?

For a road coilover I really couldn't recommend KW V1's enough, had them on my last ED30 and the ride was so nice, better than standard. I know they're about £800 though so hardly cheap, but well worth the money!

I had the Weitec Hicon GT coilovers on my polo. (Made by KW). Same ride quality as the V1's and they are awesome! Not too harsh but as Shorty has said, well worth the money.

I chose the weitec over the APEX RDX coilies. When i did my research on FK, i read some really bad reviews, Leaks and corrosion were the main points

hope that helps

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 01:29:23 pm »
Basically I ordered some FK Highsports the other day. I received a call this morning to say there's a minimum of a 3 week wait for them as the factory have a delay on the dampers. Now I could just wait but I'm too impatient. He's offered me the Apex RDX kit. Has anyone had any experience with these or know how they compare to the Highsports?

I'm not going for a high end coilover as I plan to eventually air it out but don't want really budget coillies either. I've always had AP's in the past but they didn't really go low enough for what i wanted on my previous mk4 R32.

Any help or opinions would be great.

If you have mk5 golf get some ap's I can't wind them to the bottom as the car wouldn't move!

Offline GTI.Dav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 02:14:44 pm »
I'd prefer to stay mid range and spend around the £400 mark. If I was looking more long term if definitely go for KW's or H&R's.

If the AP's do go lower than stated I wouldn't think twice about getting them but I was under the impression the drop at the back with the stoppers out would be similar to the mk4?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 02:39:19 pm »
After my experiences with KW last year I wouldn't touch them with a feckin bargepole.  :happy2:

Offline Simon_2.0t

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 02:42:07 pm »
Got APs on mine mate, pics on my thread. Have adjusters still in the back with still 1'-1.5' to go I'd say.

Si

Offline GTI.Dav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 05:13:05 pm »
Got APs on mine mate, pics on my thread. Have adjusters still in the back with still 1'-1.5' to go I'd say.

Si

Thanks mate, great help.

Changed my order to the Apex RDX! Think they're a little better than the FK's too so hopefully they will be decent enough.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:07:31 pm »
i've got Weitec Hicon GTs on the mechanically similar A3. i can't fault them at all. ride is better than standard, and it feels much more level through the corners. have had them on for 35k miles or so now and am very happy with them
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 01:06:17 pm »
I have AP APX(adjustable damping) Coilovers and they go low enough on front but would like 'em to go a bit lower on the back, but adjusters are wound right down, did consider taking adjusters out but could be too low...
Diesel Daily Hack.