Make a donation

Author Topic: Side Lights - bulb gone... replacement options  (Read 6873 times)

Offline Max99

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
  • White GTi owner
Re: Side Lights - bulb gone... replacement options
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 05:36:59 pm »
yep did try that but couldn't see what was doing, going to have to find a small mirror so can see what the pliers are gripping onto.

Also getting pretty frustrated with the led bulb not going in, i need a 3rd hand to push one side open so it'll slot in

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 12:33:34 pm »
yep did try that but couldn't see what was doing, going to have to find a small mirror so can see what the pliers are gripping onto.

Also getting pretty frustrated with the led bulb not going in, i need a 3rd hand to push one side open so it'll slot in

Hi Max,

did you get the black cased LED bulbs working in the end? Im looking to getting some but wanted to make sure they did actually work without errors.

Thanks

Rich

Offline Max99

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • White GTi owner
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 12:51:50 pm »
nope not yet, gave up after not being able to get drivers side one out to change. Waiting on seeing the gf at the weekend/monday who has small hands, get her to do the hard work i think ha

I'll keep u updated on here if get them in/working with no errors

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 01:00:16 pm »
I found that moving the charcoal canister out of the way gave me a little bit more room when I changed to led sidelight bulbs. It just unclips when you gently pull it upwards.
Maybe you have done that already?

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 01:01:13 pm »
Max99, I managed by using touch alone, by feeling with the other hand that the pliers where clamped on to the holder. Then pull and prey, what a crap design  :fighting:
You do need small hands tho......there's some joke about girlfriends with small hands  :signLOL:
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 01:07:40 pm »
i found a pair of long nosed pliers, GF's makeup mirror and bags of patience did the trick.

I believe performing brain surgery whilst drunk is easier....

Offline trs888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 12:42:37 am »
i actually got a bulb that fell out of the holder and was loose around the inside of the light. stayed that way for about a month before i couldnt bear it any more and removed the headlight. came straight out! id tried the long bendy claw thing for about 30 mins too! glad  i dont have that to worry about any more!

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 07:43:46 pm »
ye i'm going to have a little bash at them tomorrow, hoping my osram night breaker headlights will be here tomorrow so will do it then. Hopefully i won't be defeated

I'm Sheffield based.

any joy with LED sidelights yet Max?

Looking to get a set myself but wanted to see if they threw up any errors on the dash?

cheers

Rich

Offline Max99

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • White GTi owner
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 08:27:00 pm »
Afraid still not done, didn't have time to try and get them in at the weekend. Probs end up being few weeks before try again i'm afraid.

However reckon they shouldn't give any errors as they do say error free in listing, plus i've emailed seller and he was very helpful in terms of giving advice how to fit so assume he'd probs refund if were any issues

Offline Max99

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • White GTi owner
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2013, 12:33:34 pm »
very late but i did actually get round to fitting them at the weekend! Only reason I hadn't sooner was that i couldn't get the drivers side sidelight out! Finally did and just in time as had MOT yesterday. THe LED sidelights passed the MOT and no warning/error lights on dash, plus they look sooooo much better than the standard sidelight bulbs!!!