Make a donation

Author Topic: Apple, the sinking ship.  (Read 5203 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Apple, the sinking ship.
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2013, 12:43:47 am »

Had a crash re ordering notifications in settings.  Similar issue with Beta 1, where when re ordering them it went a bit bizzerk. Work in progress, though I know that.

Have to agree with Carl though.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ted56ic37dhd6ipdkofc6jo300&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 12:49:44 am »
After the balls up ios6 made of my phone I'm holding out till its released..... Don't like ios7 so I'm in no rush  :signLOL:

icedgem27

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 04:41:40 am »
I joined the Apple ship a couple of years ago with an iPad2 and soon after got a 4S to replace my HTC Desire. Last year I jumped Apple for Nexus, 4 and 7. Now I'm back to iPad Mini and Nexus 7, with an iPhone 5 arriving (work phone) on Monday.

If you've used Android and taken the time to use the phone to anything like it's potential, then it can feel like a step backwards to go to Apple. There are (in my experience) two main reasons for this:

1) The amount of customisation on an Android device is far in a way superior to that on an Apple. There are widgets for a start, and a central home page to 5 app screens. This is compared to a left hand home screen and no visual customisation other than the order of the apps on the screen (and they 'ping' to fill all the gaps) and the wallpaper.

2) Android phones can run apps in the background. This to me, from a performance perspective is the main downside to Apple

Having said that, Apple stuff does just 'work' and is in general more user friendly than Android, although the gap is closing. The other major advantage Apple has over Android is that because Apple works on a sandboxed design for its apps, generally speaking it will always more secure than Android. Plus Android is become the mobile OS of choice for malicious malware which has apparently risen by 614% over the last year (albeit largely from apps downloaded from unofficial app store copy sites).

Apple, in selecting the apps and validating them as part of the app store process means that the number of 'dodgy' apps is far reduced compared to Android, but again something the Android Play store is also working on and has improved significantly. Apple do though filter what can be sold as an app and do not permit anything that can be classified as a hacking tool, so you can't get decent wireless analysers or netscan tools (as of last time I looked, if this has changed will be stood corrected). These are very useful tools and it frustrated me that I was told what I can and can't do with my device. As an IT Security consultant, those can be useful tools to have to hand.

By choice, I'd still stay Android. Work uses Apple for our phones/tablets so it's come back into the equation for that reason alone. My current Apple experience is now better than my previous, and there are good reasons for sticking with it. The Google/Apple integration is better than it's been in the past. I think mostly the smartphone OS debate is becoming a more level playing field. Android is now a universal OS whereas a couple of years ago, it was kit for the geeks among us to figure out. Apple is becoming less restrictive (in that it's had to improve support for non-apple apps/platforms like Gmail, Exhange) and they will always be nice pieces of technology, for build quality if nothing else.

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 07:43:07 am »

(which by the way is far too large, i mean, its ridiculous!)

All Apple owners say this... but if there iPhone had the biggest screen, they would claim that its best because its bigger

Because the screen is smaller.. they claim they don't want bigger

Really cant agree with you there, the phones are too large, like i said, i would love a larger screen, but to the limit of the phone size, i wouldnt want a phone anybigger than my 5. I dont think a S3 would even fit in my pockets!

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 03:17:24 pm »
Apple have loads of money I don't think they are bothered. They revolutionised music players, phones and tablets but it's difficult to see what's next that's a big step. The continuous suing of everybody is putting me off apple.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2013, 04:45:33 pm »
Of course apple are bothered about their share price lol

Offline AndrewJB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
  • die gelbe Baron
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2013, 04:59:49 pm »

(which by the way is far too large, i mean, its ridiculous!)

All Apple owners say this... but if there iPhone had the biggest screen, they would claim that its best because its bigger

Because the screen is smaller.. they claim they don't want bigger

Really cant agree with you there, the phones are too large, like i said, i would love a larger screen, but to the limit of the phone size, i wouldnt want a phone anybigger than my 5. I dont think a S3 would even fit in my pockets!

i was very worried about the size of the SGS4 but after a few weeks with it, its fine, fits in my pocket etc and is good for videos
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:42:53 pm by AndrewJB »
2014 Seat Leon Cupra 280 VWR Springs, VWR Intake, REVO Stage1
LeonOC.com & TDISport.com Administrator

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2013, 08:40:07 pm »
I'm quite happy plodding along with my iPhone 4 , I've had it over 2 years now and I'm way past my upgrade window and I just cant be bothered to upgrade to anything else , the size of the 4 is spot on and it does what I need it to do fine. Before I got the iPhone I would be pestering my network for a new phone a month or so before my upgrade date , so Apple must have done something right!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2013, 10:57:04 pm »
Ditto - I have the 4S and feel it's more than adequate in terms of size.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2013, 08:41:25 am »
No problems with my iPhone 5. Nearly 1 year in, nearly switched to the S3 a while back, but the OS was terrible and battery life way worse than my 5, so sold it on. Screen was lovely, but thats the only thing Android has going for it imo.

I'm actually looking forward to iOS7. Am i the only one? The only reason i can see me upgrading this year, is to replace my wifes iPhone 4S with my iPhone 5 and get the new 5S, just so she can make the most of the new OS as well.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2013, 10:37:27 am »

I know its a beta! I was saying not impressed at the style and overall look of it which isnt something that will change.

As for being more or less buggy... Mine is crashing lots more than B1 but i'm going to do a restore tomorrow and start again.

Did you update OTA or complete restore? If it helps the process i did was,

Backed up 6.1.4
Restore to 7 Beta 1 and then restore from 6.1.4 backup.
Hard Reset using home & power button, immediately after upgrade
Power Cycle immediately after Hard Reset
OTA to Beta 2.
Hard Reset immediately after upgrade
Power cycle immediately after Hard Reset

Crashes i've had have been 3 since Beta 2 and 5 on Beta 1. All of them were from opening up incompatible apps at the moment. Apps that i have installed that are currently incompatible are:

Bejeweled
Bejeweled 2
Photobucket
Natwest Banking
Red Laser but only occasionally
Around Me but only occasionally

Bejeweled, Bejeweld 2 & Natwest have caused the crashes as i was trying different things to see if they would work.

Yeah pretty much same steps and then OTA to B2.

It keeps crashing back to the apple logo splash screen more than B1 for me though.

Apps that dont work at all for me at the moment are just ebay and napster which is annoying as i use them alot but I have my ipad mini of ios6 still so all fine on there.

Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 10:42:44 am »
I'm quite happy plodding along with my iPhone 4 , I've had it over 2 years now and I'm way past my upgrade window and I just cant be bothered to upgrade to anything else , the size of the 4 is spot on and it does what I need it to do fine. Before I got the iPhone I would be pestering my network for a new phone a month or so before my upgrade date , so Apple must have done something right!

i feel exactly the same but i think the reason you're not pestering for an upgrade is because nothing has changed since the 4, why lock in for another 2 years when all you get is the same phone in a different skin...and a useless talking assistant that no-one uses!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2013, 11:06:29 am »
Yeah pretty much same steps and then OTA to B2.

It keeps crashing back to the apple logo splash screen more than B1 for me though.

Apps that dont work at all for me at the moment are just ebay and napster which is annoying as i use them alot but I have my ipad mini of ios6 still so all fine on there.

eBay doesn't work for me either (although i get push notifications from it  :confused:) and i had a no explanation crash to the Apple Logo on the iPad last night whilst reading a book. However the beta is a lot worse on the iPad than the phone for some reason. The phone is still working happily apart from the apps mentioned above. Bit laggy at the moment but otherwise fine.

One feature i do like is that screenshot's now don't upload to your photostream (at least they aren't on my iPhone/iPad). Used to bug me having the Apple TV on and all of a sudden my phone homescreen would suddenly appear about 2 mins after i had taken a screenshot  :grin:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2013, 02:02:14 pm »

i feel exactly the same but i think the reason you're not pestering for an upgrade is because nothing has changed since the 4, why lock in for another 2 years when all you get is the same phone in a different skin...and a useless talking assistant that no-one uses!

Why would you be locked in? Just buy sim free from Apple!  :laugh:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:21 pm »
I am getting the Iphone 5 in 4 weeks, free upgrade courtesy of my provider, the only reason for change is its FREE and my monthly line rental is going down by £12pm.

Had I not been getting cheaper line rental I would not have bothered, my Father will be getting my Iphone 4 so he and my mum can "Facetime" with my brother and his family.
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14