Make a donation

Author Topic: New TV - help needed!  (Read 4424 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
New TV - help needed!
« on: June 27, 2013, 08:26:04 am »
Right, I want a Panasonic and 42".

After that I have no idea whether it should be Plasma or LCD/LED? 3D or just Smart?

I do watch a fair few films so is Plasma better? Also stream photo's through the Apple TV - plasma or LED?

Is the 3d technology worth it or is it the case that it is still developing and is not all that?

John Lewis seem to have a few good options not sure where else I should be looking on line other than Amazon?

ta
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: New TV - help needed!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 08:39:00 am »
Panasonic if your going plasma, don't really rate their lcds.

Plasmas are better for faster moving tv, but tbh I don't think the average consumer will notice.

Make sure it's 1080p resolution, 720p IMO is a wast of cash these days. If you keep an eye on your electricity bill, you will notice it rise with a plasma, it might even drop with a new gen LCD.

IMO I wouldn't pay extra for 3d, but if the set comes with it then thats ok.

Smart gives you Iplayer and such, no use to me because my tv is connected to a pc, but if you feel those features will be helpful make sure the tv has built in wifi.

If I was in the market for a tv again I'd be going Samsung plasma or LCD, purely based on value for money.

John Lewis is good as they offer 5years warranty on everything, they will also price match so shop around then get them to match it.

When you find a model number jump on avforums.co.uk and read the owners there'd of that tv, they will highlight issues and drawbacks, avforums may have reviewed the tv too.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mikpeacbf6hn68u5938tnqc0p6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:54:26 am »
Panasonic 42GT50B ~600 quid

Job done.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 08:57:54 am »

Job done.

is that one you have rich? or are you knowledgeable in the tv arena?

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:00:42 am »
As above, Panasonic for Plasma, Samsung for LED.

Smart features are good, I use iPlayer quite a lot. 3D ive only used 3 times since ive had the tv over a year now.

Personally I see that LED's with 100hz + are smoother then plasmas 600hz sub field motion.

If you do buy a Samsung, dont be fooled by their 800hz or 1000hz, they actually say their tvs are 1000hz CMR which means clear motion rate, its just a rating they give for the smoothness and the colours of the picture. They most likely are still 200hz.

Plasma will be bit more expensive and you could suffer from pixel burn after a few years.

Sound quality is not good on LED's but if you are connecting an external sound system, then that dont matter.

Hope that helps, Not putting plasma down, just think its an older technology and that there's better alternative options.

Thanks

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=mikpeacbf6hn68u5938tnqc0p6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 09:18:52 am »

Job done.

is that one you have rich? or are you knowledgeable in the tv arena?

It's the one I bought after lots of research.  :happy2:

You won't get a better picture for the money.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:49 am »
I used to love panny CRTs however i began to find when they moved on to have slow, clunky menus and the LCDs quite poor in comparison to Samsung, Sony etc.  the plasmas were very good, ala pioneer Kuro, which panny bought iirc.

I like Bravia as all my shiz can be controlled by one remote, and get the right model pic qual, up scaling are very good.

We're still using an old 40W5500 in the lounge, i did consider a 3d upgrade but not too fussed, and have it hooked up to a media centre in the garage for everything smart teles can do and much more.  Distance from target is very important, look into this.  Pointless having a 60inch if your sitting 6ft away :rolleye:

I think it's important to read the reviews both mag and user, and nail it down to an actual model rather than manufacturer, as they all make some crap teles.  Don't pay too much if your not going to use the features. :happy2:

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:52:10 am »
simple formula i always for size of tv

Distance (inches) / 3 = size of tv you should get

for example if you are 10 foot away from your sofa to tv

10 foot is 120 inches

120 / 3 = 40" tv

The thing is, if you have too big of a tv, and you are watching non hd content, you wont like the quality of the picture, so you need to be either further back, or a smaller screen.

Ive been to relatives houses where they have such a huge screen in a small place that you have to move your head when watching the footy, rather then moving your eyes lol.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 10:03:55 am »
Ive been to relatives houses where they have such a huge screen in a small place that you have to move your head when watching the footy, rather then moving your eyes lol.
:signLOL:

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 11:42:31 am »
simple formula i always for size of tv

Distance (inches) / 3 = size of tv you should get

for example if you are 10 foot away from your sofa to tv

10 foot is 120 inches

120 / 3 = 40" tv

The thing is, if you have too big of a tv, and you are watching non hd content, you wont like the quality of the picture, so you need to be either further back, or a smaller screen.

all good advice their chaps. I have a  37" Panasonic 1080p at mo so maybe I should not go biger than 37" as the room is fairly small. will carry out the measurements from screen to sofa next  :happy2:

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 11:46:28 am »

all good advice their chaps. I have a  37" Panasonic 1080p at mo so maybe I should not go biger than 37" as the room is fairly small. will carry out the measurements from screen to sofa next  :happy2:

No problem buddy, Surprised I still remember all this from my previous job as a Trainer for Samsung.  :evilgrin:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 12:37:30 pm »
I have a Panasonic LCD and plasma both in 42" size and I would say the former is much better for daily use. The plasma screen is glass and pretty reflective and the picture is much better in a dark room where you can set it up to look more natural. Mine is used purely for watching movies at night or with the curtains drawn and the LCD is for watching TV. Having wandered around Currys for a bit yesterday I'd say the new Sony models are the ones to beat at the moment, as the picture looked great.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 02:31:35 pm »
I dont believe that calculation above applies. Maybe for 720p or CRT lol where images are pretty poor. With 1080p the viewing distances can be closer.

Minimum distances in feet are below for 1080p.

32-inch 4'
37-inch 4.5'
40-inch 5'
42-inch 5.5'
46-inch 6'
50-inch 6.5'
55-inch 7.5'
65-inch 8.5'

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 02:42:26 pm »
^ Your assuming that your getting a 720/1080p signal though... a lot of channels still aren't HD.  Even with a decent upscaler the pic quality isn't as good/sharp as Full HD.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »
Thats true, but im considering a 55" screen next, as the 42" still doesnt full my peripheral vision, and im nowhere near 10ft away.  :grin: